Ubuntu Trial

Yep, Eso is right.  Amarok rocks. :sunglasses:
Amarok running on my Slackware box:-)

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

New problem… Permissions…

I create an xls file, and drag it to my memory stick… I remove the memory stick and the file is gone… so I Save As… to the memory stick, the file stays, but I can’t edit, or print it on any other computer. If I right click on the files and try to change the permissions to something other than root, I’m not allowed. It’s my file, how can I not be allowed to change it?

How can I copy files to my memory stick, or even to somewhere else on the hard drive without using sudo mv? Seriously, is Linux this anal about everything?

Linux is a multi-user OS and assigns permissions to files, devices.  Your root account can run everything.  If you want your regular user to have access to a device or file you may need to give your regular user permission to do that.  You may be able to get root privileges and use a GUI to be able to change the permissions on your device, files so that your regular user can read and write to it.
Basically you need to edit the file group which is located in the /etc directory.

Use a text editor to open up /etc/group and have a look at it.  You want your regular user to be a member of the following groups:  plugdev, cdrom, audio, video, floppy.  Your regular user has probably already been assigned to some of these groups.  It sounds like a permission issue to me.  Or maybe hal needs to run at boot-up.

You can get root privileges and open up a text editor and add yourself to these groups.  Back up this file before you do this.  (This is the slackware way of doing things).

I don’t need root access to use mv or cp to have access to files on my system.

You shouldn’t be root.
File should be owned by a user.
or use chmod
sudo chmod 777 filename
anyone can r,w,x

Agreed.  You should never run your unit as root.  That is a good way to be owned.  Here’s a screenshot of my /etc/group file.  This is on my debian box, so it’ll be similar on your buntu box.

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]