Ubuntu 8.04?

Hi all you tech savvy types. I’m a caveman when it comes to computers but I’m trying to improve on that. One thing I’m attempting to get to know is Ubuntu.

I have downloaded 8.04 (696 mb if I recall) and saved to a disc that is supposed to be able to run Ubuntu from the disc but can’t seen to configure my computer to boot from a disc. I have changed the settings to make drive E (DVD-RW) the first choice to boot from, but my computer still boots from the HD.

Any guesses on what I’m doing wrong? Some of the stuff I’ve read on this board goes right over my head so please be gentle on my gray matter.

TIA,
RR

A few questions.  Can your DVD drive boot a CD image of Linux?  The Ubuntu 8.04 image is a CD image, I’m not sure if this will make a difference with a DVD drive.  Do you have a CD drive on the unit that you could set in the BIOS as bootable?
The other thing that comes to mind is how you’ve burned the Ubuntu ISO file.  Did you burn the file as an image?  You need to do that to make the CD bootable.  If you copied the file and made a data CD it won’t boot.  You could also try the Ubuntu CD on another computer and see if it boots up then you’d know that the Ubuntu CD is okay. :smile:

A few questions.  Can your DVD drive boot a CD image of Linux?
Windows can not find a program to open the file on the CD and wants to go online to find the program.

Do you have a CD drive on the unit that you could set in the BIOS as bootable?
In the BIOS I have the CD listed as the first choice for booting. It was set at the factory for the hard drive to be the first choice. I made that change yesterday.

Did you burn the file as an image?
I initially downloaded Ubuntu on to my desk top, Right clicked on the icon, clicked on “save to” and then clicked on the CD drive to load it on the CD.

If you copied the file and made a data CD it won’t boot.
By your best guess is that what I did?

I bet my headache is bigger than yours right now. :neutral_face:

It sounds like you burned a data CD and not a bootable image.  Insert a new blank CD/R disk into your burner.  Open up your burning program, navigate to your desktop, select the iso file and burn it as an image (the file type being iso).  Don’t create a data cd.  Burning the iso file as an image creates a bootable ubuntu cd.  If you just copy the file on your desktop to the CD it won’t boot your computer.
The other possibility is that the ubuntu cd is not recognized by your computer, but, that is unlikely.
However, if the first CD you created does boot on another computer then you know you have a hardware issue on your unit.

If you run Nero, select CD and go to the COPY icon, in the list there’s Burn Image to Disk.
Find your ISO and click Burn.
Once you get the computer to boot from CD, you can try Ubuntu “live” from the CD. It will run a little slower, because the CD’s not as fast as the Hard drive. If you like it you can click the Install icon and choose if you want just Ubuntu or a dual boot system.
Once you’ve made the proper CD you can also boot into Windows and choose a new option - just insert the Ubuntu CD. You can also install and run it from within Windows.
Running it ‘live’ from the CD will give you an idea if you need to hunt down any oddball drivers and you can research it before installing it for good.
If you have a laptop and there’s driver issues, it ain’t Ubuntu’s fault. It’s the laptop maker and their compulsion to use the cheapest oddball shit they can get their hands on.

I’d like to thank you for all of the help you have provided. :smiley:

Just thought I’d add some goodies not mentioned in case someone else is going down this road.

In Nero I ended up having to go to “disc image or saved project” to get the Ubuntu icon to show up and then I also had to go to “Image Files (*nrg, *iso, *cue)” in “files of type” bar.

Now if that isn’t enough, when Ubuntu did boot it was asking for a name and password??? I’m starting to think impaling ones self on a fire hydrant would be preferable. :neutral_face:

Glad you got it figured out.  The username and password would be the one you entered when you installed ubuntu.  Entering a username and a password is a good security feature of linux.  Did you install ubuntu to your HD or are you running it within windows?

I have yet to install Ubuntu on my hard drive but I’m interested in running a dual boot system. Unfortunately this is beyond my knowledge at present. I’d prefer to run in either Ubuntu or XP, but not Ubuntu through XP. As it sits I’ve emailed the U of Waterloo looking for the password. This is kinda like the “thrown off the dock” swimming school for me.

While I did get Ubuntu to boot I have yet to use it due to the password issue. I can’t even figure out “Down Them All” on Firefox to work. Like I said I’m computer caveman.

Unlike the people who grew up with computers I have a fear of doing irreparable damage to my system, hence many questions and great caution. I have an old HP Pavilion that I might resurrect just to run Ubuntu and play with no fear.

Again thanks for the help as I’d be cursing a blue streak without it,
RR

this will bring great things! it’s always nice experimenting with a spare computer! :smiley: as a matter of fact I’m setting up my old socket 478 to run the latest ubuntu :smiley:

?? It shouldn’t be asking for a name and password unless you did install it…

When you do, you can tell it to resize the current Windows partition and make itself a dual boot. I use only a 20GB chunk out of my 160 laptop for Linux partition, that’s more than enuff for me.

Yeah…that’s what I was thinking.  An Ubuntu live CD won’t prompt you for a user name and password unless you installed it to your HD, it will boot-up to a desktop where you can try-out Ubuntu Linux.  On the desktop is an icon that says install, you can click on to start the installation process.

When you do, you can tell it to resize the current Windows partition and make itself a dual boot. I use only a 20GB chunk out of my 160 laptop for Linux partition, that’s more than enuff for me.

OK you have gone over this caveman’s head. If I tried to do a partition I’d probably can the whole system and have to start from scratch with a destructive format.

I did a search for Ubuntu files and only came up with the download on my desk top which windows can not open. When I put the cd in the tray and boot off of it I get some Ubuntu goodies coming up and then it asks for a name and password. I are confused. :neutral_face:

Thats as far as I have got with this but wouldn’t have got this far without the help you folks have provided. Thanks.

Hey, is your computer a laptop, or is it reasonably portable?

If so, hitest and I (or others) could meet you and help you set it up just to try out Ubuntu.

Personally, I’d just use the live CD for a bit and see if I liked it.  Or install VMware and install Ubuntu in a virtual machine and try it like that.

Yep.  I’ve got the Ubuntu 8.04 iso image saved to my HD at home.  I burned a live CD and installed Ubuntu 8.04 on a unit I’m currently running at work.  To RR:  You’re very welcome to the CD, I can always burn another one.
My CD boots up to an Ubuntu desktop which lets me mess around with Linux.  No username, password required.  Ubuntu is awesome as it allows you to test a computer to see if it is Linux ready (you can see if your network, video, and sound cards work with linux.)
Ubuntu will reliably set-up a dual boot with windows, I’ve done it several times, the installer will non-destructively re-size your windows partition and make room for Ubuntu.

If so, hitest and I (or others) could meet you and help you set it up just to try out Ubuntu.
While I do appreciate the offer that 1600 km drive is the deal breaker. :wink: I am hoping to be working out of PG soon (fingers crossed) and if that happens PR will be one of the locations I will  end up frequenting. If that occurs I will take you up on that offer MIG.

Ubuntu will reliably set-up a dual boot with windows, I’ve done it several times, the installer will non-destructively re-size your windows partition and make room for Ubuntu.

OK hitest, are you telling me to load Ubuntu from my desk top to my hard drive? Will it create a partition all on its own/with minimal knowledgeable input (that would be from me)? I have never done a partition before and the thought of doing so is pretty scary to this caveman. Can you tell me the source you used to get that live cd? I used the U of Waterloo Com Sci Clubs site.

You see, it’s that helpful attitude that you folks are showing that has me longing to move to BC. People in Alberta are just different in that we are too rushed to stop and help a neighbor. It’s just a rat race here. I want off the crazygoround! :unamused:

Once you have booted-up your computer from the Ubuntu live cd you will be running a live version of ubuntu linux.  What this means is that you are running linux from your cd drive and not your hard drive (at this point your windows install on your hard drive is not affected).
Should you wish to install linux you would click on the install icon while running the live cd.  Then the live cd will guide you through partitioning your hard drive (re-size the windows partition, make it smaller), and then install ubuntu linux on the freed-up space.
I can send the cd to Alberta if you wish:-)  just send me a PM if you would like it sent to you.  I enjoy helping new linux users.

hitest

Just a thought… What if I load Ubuntu on to an external HD and reconfigure BIOS to boot from that drive? I’m not even sure if thats an option in BIOS though.

ARRRRGGGGGgggg! I found the problem with my CD.  :smiley:
"This CD does not include the Live CD, instead it uses a text-based installer. …"
Risen frackin muckin rick! (I learned to curse from the bugs bunny show) :wink:

OK it’s off to the land of the hour and a half down load. :neutral_face:

Thanks hitest, would you recommend the Hardy Heron?

Oh yes! I just remembered I have a 4 gig U3 Smart drive Kicking around! PERFECT! [sub]I think[/sub]

Ahhhh…maybe you downloaded the server edition which is a text based install.  Yep the Hardy Heron desktop edition is what you want:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

I did download the desk top edition but it didn’t work.

I found this other download center and it’s a monster file. Something like 3790 mb.

Check out the AMD 64 link on this site. cdimage.ubuntu.com/dvd/current/

That has me scratching my head???

My question is how the heck do you get 3.7 gig on a disc?