Ubuntu 5.10 Linux

I just thought I’d put in a plug for one of my favourite distros, Ubuntu. Ubuntu 5.10 was released on Thursday. Ubuntu is a Debian based Linux distribution that has exceptional hardware detection. It doesn’t have a GUI installer, but, a simple to use text based installer. I highly recommend it to anyone thinking about trying Linux. You can order your own pressed CDs for free here: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
You can also download it for free: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/
The penguin rules!
:smiley:

I just ordered a bunch of CDs, both for Intel and the older iMacs.

Is it really free? Like, not even any shipping charges. Cool!

[quote=“MiG”]I just ordered a bunch of CDs, both for Intel and the older iMacs.

Is it really free? Like, not even any shipping charges. Cool![/quote]

Totally free! No shipping charges. I love OSS! It will take quite some time to show up by snail mail because many of us are ordering it. :smiley:

We ordered some from last year’s Ubuntu distro and they send us a huge box. We got like three dozen 32 bit versions and 2 dozen for Athlon 64s… totally free.

Just tried 5.10 live CD on the iBook. Cool!

It’s certainly not going to replace any Mac OS X 10.4 installs for me, but I might use it on older hardware (older iMacs, etc).

I’m downloading the full i386 version now to dual-boot (or vmware) my Dell notebook. They even have an official torrent. Less than 45 minutes to download an ISO!

tinyurl.com/c5ll3 is the torrent file. Super fast! Somebody else in rupert try it, I want to see what kind of speed you get.

[quote=“MiG”]Just tried 5.10 live CD on the iBook. Cool!

It’s certainly not going to replace any Mac OS X 10.4 installs for me, but I might use it on older hardware (older iMacs, etc).

I’m downloading the full i386 version now to dual-boot (or vmware) my Dell notebook. They even have an official torrent. Less than 45 minutes to download an ISO!

tinyurl.com/c5ll3 is the torrent file. Super fast! Somebody else in rupert try it, I want to see what kind of speed you get.[/quote]

Cool. I think you’ll really like 5.10 on your Dell notebook; I’ve got it running on two older PCs and it is a rock solid distro. Ubuntu has only been around for one year, it is taking the Linux world by storm. :smiley:

This is very cool.
I have an average digital camera at home, a Nikon Coolpix. I’ve got a small card reader for my XP box to read my SD media. Just for the heck of it I tried plugging my Centrios USB card reader into my Ubuntu box and then inserted the SD memory stick. The Ubuntu box immediately automounted the USB drive and I can now view my pictures on my Linux box. One of the only reasons that I have a windows box at all is so that I can use my Nikon digital camera. I am one step closer to being totally windows free! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha (maniacal laugh) :smiley:
Once my employer moves to the new digital format for documents I can happily nuke my last Windows box. Ubuntu is awesome! :smiley: