UBC Study of British Columbian English

Hello there everyone and a belated Happy Thanksgiving!

Sorry in advance if this sounds like an ad. In a way it is, but for the advancement of knowledge rather than any personal gain!

My name is Jonathon and I’m a student at the University of British Columbia. We’re performing an evolutionary survey study of Canadian English, specifically British Columbian English as it compares to the rest of Canada and the bordering United States. As such I’m trying to reach out to Northern BC… leaving posts on town message boards, calling High Schools to see if they’d be willing to participate, and of course posting requests for help on popular sites like this!

You can make a real difference in our understanding of how Canadians use the English language. There isn’t too much recent research on this, especially in BC! Maybe we’re more unique than we know in our language use in BC, maybe we’re being taken over by Americanisms, or maybe we’re continuing to develop Canadian norms!

If you’d like to help out all you have to do is fill out the survey I’ll link below. Fair warning, IT WILL LIKELY TAKE AROUND 20 MINUTES TO COMPLETE.

bit.do/engsurvey
a full link for those who distrust link shorteners: esurveyspro.com/Survey.aspx? … dc7475fd76

If you’re willing I would also ask if you could ask your friends, family members, and others in your community if they would be willing to participate in this survey as well. We’re trying to reach out to Northern British Columbia in a real way, and we’d like to reach as many willing participants as possible up north!

This is, of course, completely optional, so don’t participate if you don’t want to… and if you do… have fun! Hopefully it will be a painless, thought-provoking experience.

Sorry again for signing up just to ask for your help! I’ll definitely stick around on the thread, though, if you have any questions!

Thanks again,
Jonathon

Survey links reminder:
bit.do/engsurvey
a full link for those who distrust link shorteners: esurveyspro.com/Survey.aspx? … dc7475fd76