Two confirm plans to seek Mayor's position

[quote=“Smurfette”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]I’m having a little trouble with all of the flaming I’ve read so far. People are certainly entitled to their opinion but rather than providing no basis for ripping them apart how about providing some reasoning as to why you would or would not vote for them. Whether you like their track record or not all of these people have spent many years getting paid very little and also receive very little appreciation in return for their service. At the very least they deserve our respect. If they’ve done something that, in your opinion, makes them undesirable as a candidate share it.

I like some aspects of what Jack has done but I have some concerns with some of his past public outbursts. Threatening to kick a local reporter in the ass and his abruptness with Jean Martin come to mind. He definitely had a tough act to follow with Pond in the PR department and he seems a little weak with his public speaking.

Kathy Bedard is a very nice lady and we might be surprised by her leadership abilities if she we to be elected. She has a lot of previous experience and I’m sure that she must feel that she can offer more if she were elected into a higher position. I dont see anything in particular in her history that would cause me concern and the sound of her voice is a non-issue.[/quote]

Mr. Mussallem’s anger management issues are the obvious detriment to his campaign, Ms. Bedard’s handling of the Pacific School location controversy probably one of the issues that works against her.[/quote]

Smurfette, you nailed it on both shameful and shoddy. Or is it shoddy and shameful? I can’t keep them straight.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]I’m having a little trouble with all of the flaming I’ve read so far. People are certainly entitled to their opinion but rather than providing no basis for ripping them apart how about providing some reasoning as to why you would or would not vote for them. Whether you like their track record or not all of these people have spent many years getting paid very little and also receive very little appreciation in return for their service. At the very least they deserve our respect. If they’ve done something that, in your opinion, makes them undesirable as a candidate share it.

I like some aspects of what Jack has done but I have some concerns with some of his past public outbursts. Threatening to kick a local reporter in the ass and his abruptness with Jean Martin come to mind. He definitely had a tough act to follow with Pond in the PR department and he seems a little weak with his public speaking.

Kathy Bedard is a very nice lady and we might be surprised by her leadership abilities if she we to be elected. She has a lot of previous experience and I’m sure that she must feel that she can offer more if she were elected into a higher position. I dont see anything in particular in her history that would cause me concern and the sound of her voice is a non-issue.[/quote]

You must be hooked on living in la la land.

[quote=“PLA”]

You must be hooked on living in la la land.[/quote]

Yes some people just love the stagnation of the community… For them it works… while I watch more and more people leave…

Well thats nice. If I’m out to lunch tell me why? Put some substance in your replies and build your case. So many armchair quarterbacks and not many people willing to step up. I sure wouldn’t want to as public service is thankless. I’m not saying that I’d vote for either of the mayoral candidates but how about some productive discussion with valid and supported points rather than just trying to destroy someone’s character.

At least the so-called “armchair quarterbacks” aren’t addicted to the dreamy la la land. And last time I check someone not from la la land did step up to run for mayor last election, but as far as the voting trend goes the majority of electorates seem to be attracted to the political narcotic.

If you’re an ex-Rupertite like me and you come back to visit once every year, you’ll see a huge difference. The difference is very depressing unfortunately.

Just some observations.

1. If you don’t like who is running then try to encourage someone who you could vote for and then work for that person. A democracy means anybody can run and we can vote for anybody on the ballot. If we are dissatisfied with the people on council we can only blame the voters, especially when incumbents keep getting re-elected. Somebody must like them.

2. Vote regardless, even if it means spoiling the ballot. Register your disapproval. “None of the above” (spoiled ballots) means more than just a low voter turnout.

3. It is hard to spoil a city council ballot but plump your candidates. I have never voted for more than three councilors in any one year. I think what happens is the incumbents often get the last couple of votes out of habit or out of name recognition.

4. Make sure your expectations are realistic. I don’t think we can dump the full impact of the economic situation on any council, current or past. If anything, I am frustrated at council because they don’t appear to have a common goal. Is there a plan? I have no idea.

5. Ask specific questions of the candidates. If you have a favourite whipping boy then go after it. e.g. what about citywest, high taxes, economic development, vandalism, the environment etc. etc. etc. There are a ton of things. And at the same time, more than asking them what they will do, be willing to give specifics on what YOU think they should do.

6. Remember that municipal politics is rather thankless. Unlike MLAs and MPs, this is not their full time job. And unlike MLAs and MPs, they are putting themselves as individuals on the line. Gary Coons and Bill Belsey can be criticized as individuals but for the most part we don’t like them because of the party they represent. It isn’t the same in municipal politics so we should be more civil.

7. And to repeat, work for a candidate of your choice, even if you simply praise them among friends and co-workers. Proper democracy takes effort.

I get your point about substance or the lack of it at times, and the importance of productive discussion. So many armchair quarterbacks, you say. Okay, maybe so, but aren’t you sitting back in your armchair a bit as well?

What is your position? What is it that you would like people to respond to? Kathy Bedard is “nice”. I don’t disagree with that, but is that all that you have to say about her leadership qualities? I suspect that some of us would like to hear some more.

A comment has been made about her handling of the Pacific School issue. That strikes me as a substantive comment. Do you have any thoughts to offer on that topic?

I was disappointed by Kathy’s opposition to councillor Ashley’s motion that the council at least tell the public what topics they are discussing in their numerous closed sessions, every two weeks at 5pm. Would the sky fall in or something dire happen if, for instance, they told us that they are having a meeting about Watson Island? Remember that shambles that happened on their watch that has cost this town a fortune? The motion passed in spite of the opposition of the two declared mayoralty candidates.

In some ways it’s hard to know what to make of the candidates. What do we really know about elected politicians who don’t invite the public to half of their meetings? Are you okay with the lack of transparency?

You mention your concerns about Jack’s public outbursts. I think that quite a few of us who voted for him share that concern about his undignified behaviour, but that is hardly news. I actually think that he should have offered an apology or at least some contrite admission that his communications style could do with some improvement.

You say that you “like some aspects of what Jack has done”. Okay. What? You don’t even hint at a whole hearted endorsement of anything. You like some “aspects”. Do you like the tax hikes? How about his preference for an “alternate approval process” rather a referendum on the proposed emergency services building. There will be a referendum, but that is because others on council spoke in favour of the voters having a meaningful say in a decision that will increase their taxes by a further 12.5%.

If you want a discussion it helps if you actually take a position of some kind for people to respond.

It’s not completely true, by the way, that council members are paid “very little”. They get about $14,000 a year for attending evening meetings every two weeks. That’s not bad. Those who are appointed to the Regional District get about another $10,000 for attending one meeting a month. As for respect, it’s only deserved if it’s earned.

If these are the only two choices for mayor I’ll be spoiling my ballot. I’ve also thought about writing in a name if no other candidates come forward. As for the councillor positions there are two that I would have no problems voting for if their names are on the ballot.

You may think of me as an armchair quarterback but I’m not here publicly chastising people and and making baseless criticisms of them. I’m new to this forum and it is pathetic to hear derogatory comments about Bedards voice. The same poster stated, “Yeah, it would be nice to see who has the Balls to step in and take on the mess left behind.” Actually, Jack, Anna, Gina, Sheila and Joy all had the balls to immerse themselves in this mess that started long before they were elected, and Nelson and Kathy have had the balls to stick around when the going got tough. Have they made mistakes? Of course they have and I’m sure that the electorate will makes changes where they see fit.

You mention transparency. Let me refer you to the Community Charter Part 4 S. 90. We elect these people to act in our best interest within the law. In the closed meetings they’re doing exactly what they were elected for.

Unfortuantely, the tax hikes here have been necessary. Do I like it? No, but we need to create revenue. It’s not councils fault that the pulp mill debacle is where it is today. I’m glad that our current council took it back for unpaid taxes and have reached an agreement with the port and Lax Kwlaams. That place would be in our rear view mirror and providing revenue rather than being a burden to taxpayers if it werent for Sun Wave and Kitkatla taking the city to court.

From what I understand the proposed emergency services building is a requirement and that although taxpayer support is desired the referendum wont decide the future of the building. I believe that the alternate approval process that you refer to was meant to streamline the process and move forward on an inevitability.

What was the issue surrounding Bedard and the Pacific Coast school? Please refresh my memory.

Thanks for the discussion. This is exactly what we need rather than just bashing the candidates.

Are you Kathy Bedard?

[quote=“Crazy Train”]… Have they made mistakes? Of course they have and I’m sure that the electorate will makes changes where they see fit.

You mention transparency. Let me refer you to the Community Charter Part 4 S. 90. We elect these people to act in our best interest within the law. In the closed meetings they’re doing exactly what they were elected for.
[/quote]

That’s okay, I almost know it by heart, section 90 of the Community Charter reads “90 (1) A part of a council meeting may be closed to the public if the subject matter being considered relates to or is one or more of the following: …” That topic has actually been discussed here on occasion.

They don’t have to close all of those meetings, they “may”, and they do, all too often, for all too long. Section 90 is supposed to be an exception to public meetings, but here it’s not an exception, it’s how they conduct a large part of their business, perhaps most of their business. I think that you would have to go quite a ways to find another city council whose closed meetings are so long that they order in take-aways.

Maybe you know that in those closed meetings they’re doing “exactly what they were elected for”, but we don’t. We’re not insiders. I think some of the councillors recognize that there is a problem, which was why councillor Ashley’s motion calling for more information was supported by a majority of the council. But, again, unfortunately not by the two mayoralty candidates. On that issue alone Kathy may have lost my vote. She just doesn’t seem to understand the concern.

As for the mayor, I honestly wonder how much his grasp of these issues has changed since he was a city clerk, long ago. Public expectations evolve. We close meetings because legally we can, without explanation, doesn’t really cut it anymore.

We need to create revenue, yes, but are tax hikes the only way? What happened to the mayor’s plans about selling off surplus assets and so on? That was one reason why I voted for him last election. There have been a few lots sold here and there, without competitive bids for some reason, but that hardly makes a dent.

And of course there’s that other issue, the elephant in the room (sacred cow also comes to mind), of whether this city, with all of its problems, needs to be in the phone, cable and internet business. Every municipal government in western Canada that was in the telecom business has gotten out, in Edmonton’s case with a special fund set up to use the proceeds to better the community. Is that out of the question here? Apparently so. A forbidden topic it seems.

Maybe it’s time that the capital tied up in Citywest was put to work somewhere else, rather than just assuming that the solution to any revenue problem is raising taxes. Any candidate that had the courage to actually discuss that issue would have my vote.

I leave aside questions about the need to cut costs. Some would say that we no longer have the population to support a full-time fire department, a point that has been raised here a number of times. I’m unsure about that, but a candidate who was willing to look at options and make those tough choices would have my vote.

Ah yes, Watson Island, a popular topic for quite some time on the discussion board. How do we know that the whole “debacle” (an apt description) is not the “the councils fault”? Is that knowledge or belief? Why should we believe that it is all just the fault of Sunwave and Kitkatla? As the saying goes, there are two sides to every story and the truth is somewhere in between.

The court documents are posted on here, somewhere in the archives. Sun Wave’s claims against the city do not make for very pleasant reading, and if some of what is claimed in there is true, raises some concerns about how the city conducts its business. That being said, we don’t know whose fault it all is. We’ll have to wait for the supreme court to clarify those issues for us. Hopefully the decision, whichever way it goes will be released before the election.

It’s not quite that simple. The RCMP has a contract (I read the master agreement, which I’m pretty sure applies here) that says that they can do upgrades to bring the police station up to current standards and send the city an invoice which it will have to pay.

But bringing the building up to par isn’t necessarily the same as what the mayor would like to spend over $6 million on. And replacing the fire station, which would cost another $6 million, is a separate matter and by no means inevitable. I was a bit surprised that doing the two facilities as one project rather than two, is about the same cost. Maybe the projects should be spread out a bit, rather than hitting the taxpayers with a 12.5% hike in one go, or maybe the mayor should look for other sources of revenue, astonishing though that thought may be.

As for the alternate approval process being “to streamline the process”, well yes that is what the mayor would like us to think, but to their credit even his own council did not buy that line.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]
Thanks for the discussion. This is exactly what we need rather than just bashing the candidates.[/quote]

You’re most welcome. I was becoming a bit despondent about the quality of the discourse myself.