Tsunami watch to the west, Avalanche watch to the east, so where do we go?

So Global BC leads off their 11:00 news with the breaking story of the earthquake off Japan

ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s … TopStories

We are now under a Tsunami watch, which apprently is better than being under a Tsunami warning.

They don’t exactly expect any huge waves to crash ashore here, but better safe than sorry I guess is their theory. At any rate, the Charlottes, North Coast and Central coast are under this watch. Yet they don’t put the warning on their website, helpful not!

The Tsunami warning centre from Alaksa has a lenghty list of places under the watch, but doesn’t list us. Oh what to do…

prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/wmsg

The Province’s Emergency Preparation site tells us what to do in the event of a Tsunami, but doesn’t actually tell us if we’re in the midst of one or not.

pep.bc.ca/index.html

helpful kind of…

CKNW at least has the brains to post the warning on their website and lead with it on their news…

Tsunami warning
Jan, 12 2007 - 10:20 PM

VANCOUVER/CKNW(980AM) - BC’S tsunami warning system has been triggered by an earthquake off the coast of Japan.
The executive director for the Provincial Emergency Program, Cam Filmer, says there is a watch for the north coast and Queen Charlotte Islands and from the central coast to the northern tip of Vancouver Island.

Filmer says Greater Vancouver and Greater Victoria are not under watch.

As of 9:30 pm there was no confirmation an actual tsunami wave has been generated.

Helpful, but not calming…

Guess we’ll know when the Highliner is shoreline property…

We could drive east, but we’re told that the avalanche risk is high along the Skeena,

recorder.ca/cp/National/070112/n011299A.html

Last one up Mount Hays is a rotten egg… 

Rupert and the rest of the coast get Tsunami warnings, and watches all the time.  There’s nothing to be worried about. 

The whole evacuation of Metlakatla and Port Simpson is a little bit hasty… if any actual “wave” was to hit anywhere close to here, it would be miniscule… like under a foot tall.

Yep, no need to rush down to Kwinitsa station to welcome the waves, the watch was cancelled.

cknw.com/news/news_local.cfm … _local.cfm

Smartass is so right, we are too well protected by other islands here, the only time I’ll be worried is when the wave is caused by a 1 mile meteorite hitting the Pacific Ocean, the wave from an under water earthquake hit about 20 to 45 feet, I do believe. But a meteorite or a land slide can generate anything up to a mile high wave.

That’s why I have a hot air balloon in the back yard.  :laughing:

Wow.  A mile high wave.  That’s hard to imagine.  Yep, a balloon would work.  That would be more effective than screaming like a sissy and running up highway 16 (my survival technique, lol). :smiley:

Run fast … :smiley:

How big would it be?
It would be far bigger than any wave ever seen for thousands of years. 500 billion tonnes of rock are waiting to collapse into the ocean at terrific speed. The collapse would create nearly 5,000,000,000,000,000 (5 thousand trillion) joules of kinetic energy, which would be converted into a colossal wave 900 metres high with awesome speed - within ten minutes it would have moved 250 kilometres. The landslide would continue to move underwater, powering the wave as it goes.

When was the biggest tsunami?
The largest tsunami in recorded history was in Lituya Bay, Canada, 1958. An earthquake measuring 8.3 on the Richter scale caused 40 million cubic metres of rock to fall into the sea. A wave more than half a kilometre high was created that surged through the bay devastating all in its path. This was not even a mega-tsunami, by these standards it was tiny, but it did show scientists what sort of wave a small landslide could cause. But what would be the effect of a big one?

armageddononline.tripod.com/tsunamis.htm

Yes, I’ve heard about this catastrophe waiting to happen to the eastern seaboard.  Devastation on an unimaginable scale, 10,000,000+ plus people killed in New York alone.  Nightmarish indeed.

Liv Tyler was great in that movie.

The funny thing is that I was listening to NHK radio in my car the other night when they broadcast a tsunami warning in both Japanese and English.  They were very specific about the details: expecting two metre high waves off the north-west coast of Hokkaido.  That was it.  I even felt the earthquake that caused it, since the effects of quakes can sometimes travel very, very far.  I’m quite surprised that they had any kind of news about it at all in Canada, let alone a warning.

Anyone notice the official “Tsunami Evacuation Route” sign on George Hills Way leading under the 6th Avenue East bridge?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

“Quick there’s a Tsunami on its way GET AS LOW YOU CAN!!!”  :laughing:

[quote=“Astrothug”]That’s why I have a hot air balloon in the back yard.   :lol:

[/quote]

Genius

[quote=“Soggy”]
5,000,000,000,000,000 (5 thousand trillion)[/quote]

Am I the only that would much rather see “5 quadrillion” here?

Or perhaps 5 petajoules?