Town hall meeting on schools

Readers may want to visit the Podunk site for a thoughtful commentary on the current reconfiguration process.  Thanks to the Podunkian for that.

And in the interests of pointing out that the options have been unduly narrowed, how about this?  Elementary schools go to a K-8 model, and the secondary schools are then consolidated (which appears to be in the cards anyway).  This would facilitate the consolidation, while saving the existing elementary schools.  Those elementary schools could then have their upper grades operate in a way that creates an incremental move towards secondary timetabling.

The down side for the grade 8’s would be the loss of some elective options.  Also, the east side schools are already packed in like sardines.  The upside would be, to quote our interim superintendent, that we would be “keeping them younger, longer”.  And, the grade 8 year could see a concerted focus on core subjects: math, science, English, social studies.

Just a thought, and probably not a very good one.  Nevertheless, it highlights the need to slow down and think things through.  My own children are counting on the trustees to make wise decisions.

To add to the concern about decisions being rushed, I notice that the Daily News had no coverage of Tuesday’s meeting.  I know that at least one reporter was there. Can the public really have a fair chance to respond if they aren’t informed?

It’s always puzzling as to what they consider newsworthy these days at the Daily News.

Nascar!

Well, the seal pup story was news. Even ThePodunkian treated it as such.

ThePodunkian merely relays what is the “front page, headline” story as per the Daily News front page, hence the name Podunk Below the Masthead, it’s what the Daily News puts on their front page. We provide the details of the headline story, whatever it is.

We pass no judgment on the news value of those postings, it’s just a snapshot of what is in the paper that day. :smile:  

[quote=“teacher”] Can the public really have a fair chance to respond if they aren’t informed?
[/quote]

I think if the public was “concerned” they would be at those meetings, instead of waiting for 2nd hand information to be put infront of them.

Yeah, yeah… I know the next thing you’ll say is that how people are “busy” and have “real lives” and all that jazz, so save your breath, it isn’t a valid argument.

Yes people are busy but then if they are not aware of the meeting ( I don’t get the paper … I use HTMF for the stuff I need to know) then they won’t turn out.  I always say if you aren’t there you can’t complain but people are people and they do!

Yes I am with you now … Below the Masthead is more of a daily digest, in contrast to “48 hours to forge a concensus on education?” which amazingly appears to be the only researched piece on this issue to date. I imagine that when preparing your lengthy analysis you had to pause a few times to take a pull on a ‘slushee’ during moments of reflection.  :wink:

I think that comments about poor attendance and the absence of newspaper coverage are well taken. The meeting seems to have been sprung on the podunkian citizenry by civic officials in the SD office such that they were not as well prepared as one would hope.

LOL, yes I understand that some of the best work in the blogosphere is done after voluminous quantities of slushees… :unamused:  I suspect I should apply for one of those frequent customer cards at the ole 7-11 if I am to continue… 

You loved it, didn’t you? DIDN’T YOU?

“Loved it” would be hyperbole, but yes indeed I did enjoy the story. No need to shout by the way.

The way I have heard about it, the idea that there might be a possible consolidation of schools wasn’t a new idea, nor was it a ‘rushed’ decision.  That being said, I do not know if this was the one and only time the public got to hear about this and discuss it?  Was there ever any talk, either inside or outside school district employees of this idea regarding a possible middle school?  I haven’t lived here that long, so I do not know what information was out there or not.

Also, if the district has got to make budget cuts (I had heard over a million dollars to be cut for the next year) wouldn’t it make more sense to try and keep as many people employed as possible?  The district could just have easily said “We need to cut this much money from the budget so we are going to close 4 schools” - instead, they are trying to bring the idea of a middle school so that at least SOME teachers, support staff, etc can have a job - and so that maybe the schools that will be left open won’t be so crowded for the kids.  Or at least, not as crowded as they might be if they were to simply close the schools and not even consider an alternate plan to keep SOME open.

Just my two cents - I’m not trying to start a fight or anything - just thought maybe there’s a different point of view…  Of course I’m sure you all will let me know if I have it all wrong.  :wink:

So, did anyone attend Thursday’s School Board Meeting?  What was agreed to? 

I really don’t see the reason for a town of only 9000 or so people to have so many schools, especially 2 secondary schools.  Schools are very costly things for governments to maintain these days, especially with the way the economy is and Prince Rupert doesn’t exactly have a flourishing economical situation.

I’d rather see a couple shut down and consolidated than have a majority of them shut down.  My son goes to Pineridge even though Roosevelt is closer.  It’s not that big of a deal to go to a school that is a little farther away from home.

I agree.  Even in the case of closing Port Edward Elementary (a possibility if the consolidation/creation of a middle school is accepted) - it is quite a distance for kids to travel to school, but there will always be yellow bus service.  I think about when I went to school in Kelowna; we lived in Westbank and I went to school in Kelowna - we were bussed every day, and that was 14km’s; similar to Port Edward, and I survived.  :smile:

yes I read that this school will house grade 1 through grade 12 not a big deal, I graduated from a school set up this way.

Sorry if this reply is messed up, I am trying to figure out the “quote and comment” thing. 
The frustrating thing about Thursday’s board meeting was that these decisions were obviously being pushed by management, and Tina Last who in my opinion belittled other board members with her sarcasm and comments in response to the motion to wait and consult with community by both Janet and Louisa, like “so status quo is okay, swings at Westview is okay…”  That was not what the members were saying.  Both members were saying lets get more information (from research and public).  

The delegation that went to Vancouver Island to further their understanding of what a middle school would mean to Rupert by no means came back without concern, in fact their research was clearly stated as inconclusive.  Matrix stated that middle school would only work in Rupert if “the community was enthusiastic”.  

PRSS has been voted to be “considered for closure”  that means that at September’s meeting the board will do 1st and 2nd readings for the closure of PRSS and then we will be in our 60 day consultation period.  But right now, summer is upon us and Louisa Sanchez and Janet Beal clearly felt that further consultation was needed with the public.  Louisa wanted a survey of public opinion.  So, in fairness to Rupert, I think this survey should happen and included the whole population.  I also think that it should include the question about the closure of PRSS.  A school that the government as allocated 8 million dollars for seismic upgrades (that to the best of my knowledge cannot be transfered to another school.  Maybe the public should be given a choice such as :  " Should we close CHSS, or PRSS?"