Tourism in PR? --- resort/marina?

bring the gondola back, yes.

KAFKA, i’d realize that everything everyone has said in this thread has been pretty nickle and dime nimby-ism, but bringing the gondola back is where the money is.

brotha… there is your 50-1000 acres of development. fo free. do it up. just leave public access to all edges of this area of development open and you’ll keep hippies like me happy.

What’s the gondola?

We used to have a gondola that went to the top of Mount Hays. It had a set of boardwalk trails and a chalet with excellent views.

[quote=“Illywhacker”]

We used to have a gondola that went to the top of Mount Hays. It had a set of boardwalk trails and a chalet with excellent views.[/quote]

Not to mention a Ski Hill, short t-bar lift and about a dozen short runs complete with lighting for night skiing. The ski hill is the reason the gondola was built in the first place, as this was all done by the Rainbow lake ski club, who operated it the first few years before the city took it over.

Too bad it burned down . . . Not that there’s enough snow to run a ski hill these days. The actual gondola cars were bought by a little ski hill outside of Prince George, where they are still sitting on the ground, rotting away. What a waste! As for the towers, I think they were leased to BC Hydro.

Towers are still there, I’m not sure if they are seismically licensed or whatever anymore for a passenger gondola, but that is one of the more expensive pieces of work tht would have to be done…well i guess a giant cable is pretty pricey too… and probably the engines… and probably the cars, building and other stuff.

dammit.

anyway, eff skiing, there is jack-all for terrain up there and you could mothball this thing in the offseason, just open it for the tourists, say, march->mid october, or something, figure out the season, with a bit of leadin and leadout on it for getting the kinks worked out.

there is probably another thread here about it, but i’d say the gondola is the coolest thing happening in rupert tourism-wise… boardwalks, restaurants, “hunt a grouse”, berry pickin

What about extreme/pleasure Mountain biking? My friend who owns Tabor mountian in PG is setting it up as an all year long resort style recreation center. I think that could fly anywhere.

Another option is to put some time and thought into event based recreation. The idea of having rock concerts or theatrical productions might play…

s.

Ask molten universe about mountain biking around here, if anyone could set up something, it would be him.

As for the rock concerts, the only slightly big names we’ve been able to draw to Prince Rupert have been Trooper and Farmer’s Daughter… it would be sweet to get bigger names here, but there just isn’t the space to hold something like that.

There are lots of theatrical events here, either put on by Harbour Theatre, the local schools, or other outside groups that travel around everywhere. There is stuff for kids and adults alike, but they don’t usually draw the big crowds, and it seems like it’s always the same people attending them, which isn’t bad, but there’s always room for more.