Tourism in PR? --- resort/marina?

Hi,

How’s the tourism industry doing in Prince Rupert? Is it a big part of the local economy?

What do you guys think about a new resort and marina in the area? It would include a hotel, shopping village, waterfront boardwalk, and market townhomes/residences. It would mainly be marketed to tourists.

Your thoughts?

Tourism is the biggest thing Rupert has going for it at the moment.

However, with the usual “big businessmen” running everything, I highly doubt you’d be able to open something like that here, as the big shots already have their hotels and are deathly afraid of competition.

Tourism is still in its infancy in Rupert. There’s so much more we could (and should) be doing.

Yep, there is. It’s just convincing the people that can make it happen.

Does Council encourage tourism and development?

I am sure they are open to it. After all, they did O.K. the cruise ship dock.

How do you think an average resident would feel about a 50 - 100 acre development? I think that this could only be successful if the city could do a massive advertising campaign for PR tourism along with the ad campaign for the resort. So it would likely be a partnership with the city to some extent.

I heard that BC Ferries is considering offering more frequent trips from Port Hardy, any truth in that? And does anybody have any info on recent development projects or any that are in the works?

I don’t think we should rush things though with the whole tourism thing. One of the big draws of Rupert is that it is untouched.

A lot of the tourists that came into the VIC loved the fact that it wasn’t marketed towards them all false and what not.

I think that tourism is too tender to invest a lot of money into at the moment, and that Prince Rupert should focus primarily on industrial development. Seasonal gift shops don’t bring many jobs or much money into our city; a strong industrial base however, will create more jobs and higher cash flow and be much more stable for the city than depending on something as variable as tourism.

[quote=“KAFKA”]How do you think an average resident would feel about a 50 - 100 acre development? I think that this could only be successful if the city could do a massive advertising campaign for PR tourism along with the ad campaign for the resort. So it would likely be a partnership with the city to some extent.

I heard that BC Ferries is considering offering more frequent trips from Port Hardy, any truth in that? And does anybody have any info on recent development projects or any that are in the works?[/quote]

first of all there is not 50 - 100 acres of developable land available that has access and infrastructure that is close enough to town , where were you thinking of? ( maybe the industrial park?) Secondly although the city and businessmen talk the talk and on the surface appear to support ventures like this, they want it mostly for themselves as smartass said and are not so open to new people, businesses and money coming in as the ones that are already here are still struggling and would have to close with any real competition. Next the whole tourism thing catering to the cruise ship passengers is mostly nickel and dime shit, with the exception of sport fishing and eco charters and the hotels, there is no real money in it and any jobs in this area are entry level minimum wage type and this whole sector is also highly seasonal and very short. In response to Your question about BC ferries you should talk to them, but the vessels they have on this run are ancient and as far as I know they haven’t built or leased any newer vessels for this? nor am I certain the need for it exists. I strongly agree with dylan’s last post that we should focus more on industrial type jobs that will contribute more strongly to the local economy and provide better paying more stable jobs and also contribute more to the tax base of the community.

There’s that big open area along the shore, below the mall. That ought to be turned into some sort of touristy “traditional” shopping village. That stretch of shore could probably support a half dozen more cruise ship docks.

Has anyone ever been to Ketchikan? I once saw there six cruise ships unload 10,000 tourists all at once. You could almost hear it as they all simultaneously opened their wallets to shop, shop and shop.

Forget industry. Industry will drive tourists away. they want to see pristine wilderness and charming small towns, not big ugly factories, cargo ships and hills barren from clearcutting.

What industry could come to Rupert? No company is going to pay for their goods to be shipped back and forth from Rupert for what benefit? It’s a 24 hour drive to Vancouver, where a lot of the goods would go, it’s just not ver economical sounding. But tourism’s head in on the same barrel…

And go away mr. FILE!

http://www.wrestling-edge.com/posters/JudgementDay2005.jpg

I did.

[quote=“hoshq”]There’s that big open area along the shore, below the mall. That ought to be turned into some sort of touristy “traditional” shopping village. That stretch of shore could probably support a half dozen more cruise ship docks.

Has anyone ever been to Ketchikan? I once saw there six cruise ships unload 10,000 tourists all at once. You could almost hear it as they all simultaneously opened their wallets to shop, shop and shop.

Forget industry. Industry will drive tourists away. they want to see pristine wilderness and charming small towns, not big ugly factories, cargo ships and hills barren from clearcutting.[/quote]

I usually never have to quote you… but here we go
You froget a big factor in to the “open area along the shore” theres 2 reasons why i belive thats not going to happen… A. What does that do for the town? have there WHOLE water front blocked off by stores and boats and docks… you know one side is fine… but down there i dont think thats cool then how can people go down there at night to just chill or whatnot… With buisness’s down there that involves lots of bah ideas… also my main other fact is that the water is too shallow there for a cruise ship which means you would have to have the dock further out in the water and whatnot… I just personally being a rupertdite for 21 years don’t wany my harbour view being blocked but tourisim… Cause my opinion on tourisim is that basically a Town is trying to inpress newcomers… Which i think in rupert there first goal should be to try to impress some of us.

as for ketchican, ive been there tons, its a great lil town its a American Prince Rupert thats for sure… and me being a tourist i like it… but i dunno about living there lol… But i agree its nice… The Gondala in the town makes it great

as for industrys driving people outta this town, i agree… it would drive tourists away and then BOOM more population which means more people… so either way or economy boosts. :stuck_out_tongue: its a win win situation :smiley:

Yeah i think ive rambled off a bit. Merry Christmas Hoshq, i still love you…

How big is the area below the mall? I was thinking maybe down at Seal Cove or at the end of Kaien Rd. Or maybe on Digby Island.

I agree that PR should focus on industry, but at the same time, there is a lot more they could be doing for tourism.

Anyways, thanks for your ideas, I’ll do a little more research.

The hand that feeds us all.

I have also visited Ketchikan in the height of the cruise ship invasion and that’s my biggest fear for this town, that we’ll end up economic slaves to ignorant tourists with no deeper thought than purchasing some shitty plastic souvenir. That said, I don’t like the thought of focusing on traditional industry (like the pulp mill, sorry Rich) - but what about exploring renewable energy production like wind power? And, going back to the tourists, before we build some fake pier along the waterfront we should BRING BACK THE GONDOLA!!!

People still come in and ask about that.

I really agree… I think if they we’re to ever just invest into Mt. hays it would be great… have the gondola back and have some buisness’s up top there! i belive it would be amazing with the view we got up there. and Just it’d be rad… But i also like it being the way it is…