Time Bomb at the Pulp Mill?

We see lots of people concerned about pipelines and the impact future projects may have on the environment. I read how big companies and government officials are promising responsible facilities, operations and all types of safe guards to ensure the future from becoming a problem while the pursuits of these various projects are being set up and sold to public opinion.
It is altogether fitting and proper for everyone who lives here to be concerned and try and ensure that big business handles things in the proper manner in regard to the safety of this beautiful and pristine environment.
We are all looking forward to the future and hoping for responsible companies to provide jobs and commerce that could be brought by these new investors who regard the Pacific Northwest a great place to do business.
I just have to ask however, why is everyone so complacent about our Pulp Mill?
While the government and courts drag there asses risking massive spills of the chemicals and pollutants sitting on the edge of the ocean here. The remediation is long past due, there is nothing being done and the time bomb keeps ticking.
It is altogether possible that there is a failure that could cause massive damage to the environment and nothing is being done.
Everyone seems too busy with the upcoming provincial election and the current government letting this court case drag on without regard for the situation that is now critical.
If we, the people of northern BC want to be concerned about the business of keeping our shores and oceans clean, then should we not be making a case to get that mess taken care of before a disaster happens?
The government seems ok to entertain new business before taking care of the old business. How responsible is that?
And while we wait, the taxpayers of Prince Rupert foot the bill, and wait…

15 gallons of useless waste.

I could probably look this up myself…but too lazy to do it :smile: But who is responsible for the clean up of the Pulp Mill site???

Under the Environmental Management Act the “owner” is responsible for clean up. That means the current owner, which is the City of Prince Rupert, although the Province can also make a previous owner or the polluter, whether current or past owner or not, responsible.

[quote=“BOW”]
I just have to ask however, why is everyone so complacent about our Pulp Mill?
While the government and courts drag there asses risking massive spills of the chemicals and pollutants sitting on the edge of the ocean here. The remediation is long past due, there is nothing being done and the time bomb keeps ticking.

If we, the people of northern BC want to be concerned about the business of keeping our shores and oceans clean, then should we not be making a case to get that mess taken care of before a disaster happens?
The government seems ok to entertain new business before taking care of the old business. How responsible is that?
And while we wait, the taxpayers of Prince Rupert foot the bill, and wait…[/quote]

You make many good points. I don’t understand the complacency either. But is the government, by which you probably mean the Province, really dragging its’ ass?

If private owners pollute their land or buy polluted lands the government is not like some big insurance fund that steps in and pays for the cost of cleaning it up, while the owner merrily goes about its’ business. If the government did that, there would be no need for owners to be good environmental stewards. The normal course is for the government to order the owner to clean it up.

That being said, there have been cases, including derelict industrial sites, where the Province has stepped in and helped with the cost, because the circumstances are such that the necessary work will not otherwise get done, the owner essentially inherited the problem and isn’t culpable, and there is redevelopment potential. There is a lot of material, but here is a starting point: < env.gov.bc.ca/epd/remediatio … /index.htm >.

But has the City of Prince Rupert made that case to the Province for support? Not that I am aware of. They seem to prefer to sit and wait, and let the time bomb tick.