Third Street market

It definately was meant to lure the cruise ship passengers to the down town area.  As a result this would have an effect on Cow Bay merchants.  In the June 11th article in the Northern View, it said Tourism Prince Rupert is working with the City  and a number of merchants and businesses.  Not sure why the merchants in Cow Bay weren’t consulted, but they didn’t.  It is made to appear that council and Tourism Prince Rupert is pro 2nd and 3rd Avenue merchants.  Most of these cruisers are older people, that don’t want to be walking uphill or they may be using a walker or in a wheelchair.  Did anyone take that into consideration when a site was selected?  What was wrong with Mariners Park.  According to the same article if you put 1,000 people in Mariner’s Park it still wouldn’t look as busy as having 100 people in this block.  Does he think we are all stupid?
Everything that is to be sold at the Market is to be home made.  Now can you see selling jams and perserves there without the Health Inspector getting involved.  Food can be brought back to the Ship, but I am sure they believe it has all passed Canadian health laws. 
If the merchants of 2nd and 3rd Avenue want to increase their sales maybe they should open earlier when the passengers disembark on Wednesday morning or stay open later on Thursday evening.  You have Ambassadors that are promoting uptown, directing them uptown, when nothing is open Wednesday morning.  Who is overseeing the Ambasadors?  You got it, Bruce Wishart. Tourism Prince Rupert.

Only store bought, sealed packaged food can be taken on the ships.

So let me get this straight, cow bay shop owners are required to stay open late, and open up early for the cruise ship passengers, but tourism prince rupert wants to lure all the passengers AWAY from cow bay? This makes no sense to me what so ever.

These people need to get their priorities straight.

oh well all of the Shopping in Rupert can be done pretty fast…
But can they not find a better site than closing down part of third…
Come on Mariners Park is a wonderful place for it or even the Water Front Park, why down town??  Mayor has always been for down town merchants… 
Cow Bay merchants I honestly dont know how you survive…

It’d be so cool if we were able to do something like the Richmond Night Market :open_mouth:

But yeah, Cowbay is an awesome place for tourist. If they get bored down there they can make there way up to 2nd and 3rd. Don’t they have a lot of time in Rupert? And it doesn’t take long to shop/window shop in Rupert.

I dunno, I can think of at least “two” downtown merchants who might suggest otherwise that the mayor is for the downtown merchants…

I’m out of town at the moment and was trying to picture where on  3rd St. the market was located.  Now I discover it was actually on 3rd AVE.  Can someone tell me which block of 3rd Ave?

LOL, geez never even noticed my error when I started this thing, yes Third Avenue Market… maybe they could move it to third street for me though, just spitballin’ there…

Anyways it’s between Fulton and where Shoppers (or Northern Drugs depending on when you lived here) are…

The cruise ship passengers are not all old people.  Besides it’s the young ones who complain about the hills.  The old folks are way more fit - just my observation as a cruise ship ambassador.

You try spending 4 hours in Cow Bay.  It’s nice there, but not enough to keep them busy all that time.  I think the 3rd Ave. idea has merit.  Glad to see someone is trying to do something positive, and move the people around. 

The thing is - the cruise ship folk aren’t dumb - they know when something has been constructed for their benefit.  Locals need to embrace the market for it to really take off and gain the kind of energy and vitality that will make it a memorable experience for visitors.  I know it’s been around a lot longer, but the market in Terrace is one of my fave places to hit on a Saturday morning - practically the only reason to be in Terrace on Sat. AM - and the reason I love it is because it is full of local people grabbing bread, veggies, plants, chatting up their neighbours and buying treats for the kids.  Personally, I won’t be able to support the market financially because I’m not looking to buy souvenirs, even if they are quality, hand-crafted ones, and it definately won’t be a place I’ll cruise down the street to on a Thursday afternoon to check out and hang out because I know there’s nothing there for me.  Which leaves the cruise ship people wandering around, seeing all the same people they just saw on the ship, and us having to put up with a blocked-off portion of one of the main roads in town.  My point:  if the market doesn’t appeal to Rupertites as well as the tourist people we’re trying to fleece, then it’s just not going to go anywhere.

I think its a great idea, but finding parking to go to the gym sucks.

I assume you are going to the gym for exercise…why not park a block or more away and WALK!!!

Instant gratification, that’s why.

Did anyone else hear the rumour about fresh greens being available at the market today?

no all the tomatoes were confiscated

ya they were there, as for the boat people they sure were not,well not in big numbers ask the vendors who they are selling too and its mostly local people…

It should be moved away from 3 street…

Arg, the week I miss it and there were veggies?  :frowning:

Who cares, 2nd ave is like driving in Van… All 3rd ave is diverted to 2nd…
Whos stupid idea is this… fire them!

I can guarantee you that driving on W 2nd is nothing like driving in Vancouver.

Driving on Willingdon between Moscrop and Sanderson in Burnaby is close enough to driving on W 2nd and McBride.

And BTW, I don’t care about your eating habits, but I can assume you’re very lazy to cook and living on 90 cent instant crap.

Ignore billy, our resident bot:-)  He enjoys posting stuff designed to get a rise out of forum members.