The Deer Lady of Ucluelet

OMG Dex, you must be a blast to live with, talk about a dog with a bone ! It’s just a friggin apple, get over it !

This reasoning is flawed. One should have learned the lesson of cumulative effects as a child; “its just a piece of garbage mom”, “Well if everyone did this…”.
I would further suggest that feeding a deer an apple can have significant implications, cumulative effects aside, and actually harm the deer. I urge you to discuss this further with the SPCA or other animal welfare organization if you really care about the deer and wildlife, as your beliefs are destructive to wildlife; unintended they may be.

who is this lady hurting?, is she hurting you? is she hurting me? is she hurting the deer? is she a threat to the human race, is she a threat to the environment. Leave her alone.
the deer in our town did not come in to town for apples or the garden in your neighbors yard… they have been here when this town was built these deer have been here generations as the other wildlife…
I think the fundamental reasoning you are going on is flawed if we use this reasoning then it goes with out saying stop dumping your fishheads and entrails near rushbroock floats you are attracting seals into the harbor.

Are you going to get upset with your neighbor who has no fence or netting around their garden? is this not the same as feeding a deer?
better stop before you put out a bird feeder or a bird bath god forbid you attract wild birds to your yard for a drink or a bath…

If you don’t want wildlife move to the city… Oh guess what wildlife is moving into the big city’s to, it seems wild animals can ADAPT to their surroundings better then what we once thought, skunks, badgers, and racoons have been doing it for a long time now. Bears, cougars, coyotes, and wolves have also moved into urban environments as their natural environment is slowing being turned into urban housing and industrial areas.

[quote=“Astro”]who is this lady hurting?, is she hurting you? is she hurting me? is she hurting the deer? is she a threat to the human race, is she a threat to the environment. Leave her alone.
[/quote]

Someone complained to the Ministry of Environment. Are you suggesting their interests should not be represented?

The deer go where the food is. Stop feeding the deer they will not come within our city limits. And of course it prevents another consequence of wolves being shot and killed.

Or maybe animals like bears? Seems quite logical to me.

Most people that grow gardens do not want deer eating it. If my neighbour didn’t protect their garden (new neighbour obviously) I would explain that their garden is at risk. If I saw them feeding the deer I would probably explain to them what I am here.

If you read the SPCA brochure I linked it deals with this subject. I will link it again for your convenience.
spca.bc.ca/assets/documents/ … eedpdf.pdf

[quote=“Astro”]
If you don’t want wildlife move to the city… Oh guess what wildlife is moving into the big city’s to, it seems wild animals can ADAPT to their surroundings better then what we once thought, skunks, badgers, and racoons have been doing it for a long time now. Bears, cougars, coyotes, and wolves have also moved into urban environments as their natural environment is slowing being turned into urban housing and industrial areas.[/quote]

theglobeandmail.com/news/bri … cle592916/

Again who is this lady hurting?

You build a city like Rupert right dab in the middle of a coastal rain forest are you not cutting down trees and moving earth that once was used by wild life? will the wildlife pack up and go? or will they stay and adapt?

just to inform you as I’m not sure if you understand but wild animals cant read, they also cant read maps with imaginary boarders that may show humans living in an area. they also don’t understand sign posts that say town limits or wildlife crossing.

Do you really believe if no one fed the wildlife there would be no deer in town?

Well, beyond what I explained already in this thread this person violated the British Columbia WildLife Act, at least Sections 29 and 33.
bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws … #section29
Someone complained to the Ministry which told her she needed a permit or she has to surrender the deer to the appropriate authorities. She applied for a permit and was denied. She kept the deer anyway. Not only did she ignore the law, but she was irresponsible in the deer’s care unnecessarily attracting other deer and possibly predators to the area. I have linked a consequence of predators in that area in my previous post. The deer is now pregnant. There are reasons these laws, regulations, and permits exist. Cases like this make me question why the standards and application of the BC WildLife Act are being unequally administered, but that is another subject to follow.

It seems you have a problem understanding the concepts I have brought forth. Maybe this exert from the SPCA brochure I linked before will help you.

[quote=“SPCA”]** - When wild animals are attracted to populated areas by food, they may become habituated and lose their healthy fear of people. This poses risks to both humans and wildlife (as well as pets). Most injuries treated by wildlife rehabilitation centres are human-related.

• When animals come to rely on human food instead of their natural diet, their health suffers. Growth and development can be seriously disrupted if baby animals are fed the wrong foods.

• Feeding wildlife disrupts normal population and migration patterns. Animals adapt to an artificial abundance of food, but when food becomes scarce, as in winter or when people stop feeding them, animals face starvation.

• When you attract “harmless” wildlife, you also encourage their larger predators, and animals such as rats.

• Feeding draws unnaturally large numbers of animals to the area of the food source. These gatherings can increase the spread of disease among animals.**[/quote]

Again, every animal welfare organization including the Ministry of Environment will tell you the same thing. This has been studied in great depth by biologists like Valerius Geist, environmental scientists, etc., and the results are public. If you are genuine in your care of animals/wildlife I suggest you re-evaluate your beliefs and do some research so you can become part of the solution and not be part of the problem.

[quote=“Astro”]who is this lady hurting?, is she hurting you? is she hurting me? is she hurting the deer? is she a threat to the human race, is she a threat to the environment. Leave her alone.
the deer in our town did not come in to town for apples or the garden in your neighbors yard… they have been here when this town was built these deer have been here generations as the other wildlife…
I think the fundamental reasoning you are going on is flawed if we use this reasoning then it goes with out saying stop dumping your fishheads and entrails near rushbroock floats you are attracting seals into the harbor.

Are you going to get upset with your neighbor who has no fence or netting around their garden? is this not the same as feeding a deer?
better stop before you put out a bird feeder or a bird bath god forbid you attract wild birds to your yard for a drink or a bath…

If you don’t want wildlife move to the city… Oh guess what wildlife is moving into the big city’s to, it seems wild animals can ADAPT to their surroundings better then what we once thought, skunks, badgers, and racoons have been doing it for a long time now. Bears, cougars, coyotes, and wolves have also moved into urban environments as their natural environment is slowing being turned into urban housing and industrial areas.[/quote]

Thank you for supporting me “Astro” but I think I will start my “to do” list for Spring, pull up garden, bring in birdfeeders, dig up fruit trees and flowers except daffodils as, correct me if I am wrong Dex, and I am positive you will, deer will not eat those ! What a wonderful world we live in when you get crapped on for feeding a deer a slice of apple ! I have to say, if I had to live by your high intellectual studies and stats., I would go absolutely mad, live on the edge Dex, have some fun and once in awhile when you are feeling really extreme, toss an apple to a deer, we won’t tell !!

[quote=“codybear933”]
Thank you for supporting me “Astro” but I think I will start my “to do” list for Spring, pull up garden, bring in birdfeeders, dig up fruit trees and flowers except daffodils as, correct me if I am wrong Dex, and I am positive you will, deer will not eat those ! [/quote]

Why the hysterical response when there exists reasonable solutions with positive results. Many others protect their garden without any burden or complaint.

These “high intellectual studies and stats” came from the same organizations you volunteer your time and work to. Maybe its time to reflect on why your standards differ?

[quote=“codybear933”]
I would go absolutely mad, live on the edge Dex, have some fun and once in awhile when you are feeling really extreme, toss an apple to a deer, we won’t tell !![/quote]

With the knowledge that feeding wildlife --“poses risks to both humans and wildlife”–, I could not retain pleasure or joy from risking harm to wildlife by feeding them. I respect myself and animals too much. So, thank-you for the concern but I will pass on the “toss an apple to a deer”.

No Dex, I get what your saying, she broke the law, a law that was written by well intentional men but in reality again (WHO IS SHE HURTING), ITS one Deer not a herd of them, and don’t get me started on your scientific research, the nomadic men of Siberia have been using reindeer like horses to ride and move their belonging’s and golden eagles to hunt. If it was up to you this would be outlawed and they would not be able to practice their way of life they have done for hundreds of years.
Don’t give me some reasoning about she is the reason there is cougars attacks on Vancouver island… because even if she didn’t have a pet deer their would be cougars near and around town, just like Rupert.
If we use your reasoning that you are using we should stay out of the Forrest no more camping and hunting in the wilds, as humans will leave roads and paths ways to roads that will be used by wildlife to move into the city following men as a food source.

again DEX what do you propose we do about wildlife that have moved into town? you seem to be worried about deer, birds, harbor seals, wolves, cougars and any other wild life that cant read a sign that says CITY LIMITS.
you seem to be under the impression that all wild life that comes into town is habituated and will cause some kind of disturbance and break laws they know nothing about. AGAIN wild animals cant read and don’t have the capacity to understand the million of stupid laws that we have made.
I’m not worried about the old lady living next door who throws a apple out to the deer in her back yard, is she hurting me in some way, will my back yard be taken over by more deer to come and see the little old lady for an apple( I’m sure the deer will get that message around to all their friends, and we will have a gang of deer rioting in the city for apples)

Dex you mean well, and so does the lady who has a pet deer, and so does my neighbor who likes to throw out an apple to a deer who passes through her yard and so does codybear933.
I will enjoy our town with its diverse wildlife living in our backyard I will continue to be thankful that I have the privilege to live on the coast right in the middle of a rainforest surrounded by trees and mountains wildlife that one only dreams of seeing, and not in a city stripped of its greenery and replaced by high rises and millions of people and the smog and all the crime that comes with city life.