The big religion & politics thread

Yes you are correct he was here learning from Father Chris not as his replacement, that

means you are talking about the priest who replaced father Chris for a couple of months

approx. two years ago. For 10 points and an ounce of respect tell me why Father Chris left,

the name of the priest that replaced him, and the reason he was run off as you put it so

Father Chris could return.

[quote=“eccentric”]I don’t see how believing in God is stupid.

When you find a beautiful, incredibly complex object in assume someone made it and put it there, right? None of us would assume that something came from nothing. So why is it stupid to apply that same logic to the universe?[/quote]

Believing in a deity is one thing, but disputing science and imposing “morals” on everyone in the name of religion is stupid. Nothing wrong with being religious as long as you’re not one of those hardliners and fundamentalists having a wet dream of turning any country into a theocratic state.

But if you’re into odd religions like the Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, Scientology, Falun Gong, and among other things; then you must be batsh*t insane.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]
I never said anything about believing in god…
You don’t have to go to church to believe in god do you?[/quote]

But that’s exactly who you’re attacking when you say that people attending church are stupid. You’re talking, by and large, about every day people who as part of their personal belief in God attend church to worship in the way they think that God wants them to.

You always do this, Bubbasteve. You make some ridiculous statement like “people who go to church are stupid,” and then when someone calls you out on the implications of that statement you backpedal as hard as you can. Man up.

[quote=“eccentric”]

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]
I never said anything about believing in god…
You don’t have to go to church to believe in god do you?[/quote]

But that’s exactly who you’re attacking when you say that people attending church are stupid. You’re talking, by and large, about every day people who as part of their personal belief in God attend church to worship in the way they think that God wants them to.

You always do this, Bubbasteve. You make some ridiculous statement like “people who go to church are stupid,” and then when someone calls you out on the implications of that statement you backpedal as hard as you can. Man up.[/quote]

U mad?

Not really–I don’t go to church. I just don’t see why so many atheists think they need to toot their own horn by calling religious people stupid. For someone like Bubbasteve, who time and time again has warned us of the breakdown of our society and the destruction of democracy, one would think she’d appreciate a person’s right to their own opinion.

Probably because Atheists are tired of hearing they’re going to go to hell where they will burn and scream in eternal agony. Theists are allowed to do what they want say what they want, whenever they want, but the second someone says something against their beliefs, regardless of whether or not there is any fact proving it, those people are called wrong, and told that everyone should be able to have an opinion. Ahem…

What’s with the discrepancies? I’m called stupid for expressing my views on “the break down of our society”. Which I haven’t said anything about in a while, actually. Then, even when someone is insulting another over something so trivial and stupid, and I call him out on it in a way Eccentric doesn’t agree with, I’m the bad person?

I wonder who you are Eccentric, too often you hide behind the cloak of anonymity, you say whatever you want, and I’m betting you wouldn’t say these things to others faces. Funny, at least I can express my opinion here knowing people can find out who I am. So many people on this site are like that. I DARE you, Eccentric, to come out from under your little cloak, and speak to me the way you want to.

I know you’d never do it…

running for popcorn

Whats that clanging noise? Is that the church bell? Is it tinkerbell? Nope, thats a goddamn cowbell! Ah yes, the sweet smell of fresh cowshit, it overpowers the smell of the popcorn and ruins my appetite.

I try to keep an open mind about things. I say live and let live. People are entitled to their belief systems whether they have faith, are atheists, or agnostic. There are many pathways to enlightenment methinks.

[quote]There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.[/quote]

Hamlet Act 1, Scene 5

Fixed it for you. Where’s the 2010 Amero, btw? Where’s the vaccines causing autism these days, bubba? You still hold on to your religion of one world government, though, right? Religious people are wrong to say that rainbows are created by God, but you probably think they’re caused by some secret government spraying mind control chemicals from airplanes.

In other words, you have your religion too. At least he’s rational about his.

I’d say you’re the ONLY person on HTMF who doesn’t know who Eccentric is.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]What’s with the discrepancies? I’m called stupid for expressing my views on “the break down of our society”. Which I haven’t said anything about in a while, actually. Then, even when someone is insulting another over something so trivial and stupid, and I call him out on it in a way Eccentric doesn’t agree with, I’m the bad person?
[/quote]

I didn’t call you stupid. But surely you realize that your opinions aren’t mainstream–that for some people they’d be just as hard to believe as the existence of a supreme, all-knowing deity.

But still, people don’t call truthers stupid–they get huge press and for the most part are taken pretty seriously, despite the fact they can’t produce any evidence that verify their. Sometimes truthers invent science to help prove a claim, and often they ignore science that refutes those claims. Do you see the similarity?

Brian Payne, by the way.

I think many of them dont actually understand what an atheist is, they just claim to be an atheist because its a conveinient label. An atheist is simply put:

Someone who rejects the existence of a deity (God).

There are religions in which no one deity is worshipped, however spirituality and belief are present. Followers of these religions can classified as atheists.

So someone claiming to be an atheist really shouldn’t be calling anyone who is religious stupid, because you are in fact calling yourself stupid, as many atheists are religious. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“StackedSports”]

I think many of them dont actually understand what an atheist is, they just claim to be an atheist because its a conveinient label. An atheist is simply put:

Someone who rejects the existence of a deity (God).

There are religions in which no one deity is worshipped, however spirituality and belief are present. Followers of these religions can classified as atheists.

So someone claiming to be an atheist really shouldn’t be calling anyone who is religious stupid, because you are in fact calling yourself stupid, as many atheists are religious. :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

Methinks you’re talking about Spirituality. Being spiritual has nothing to do with being religious.
There’s also a lot of people who say that they are atheists, who reject any type of religion. Organized or other. We don’t see it much in Canada, but our neighbors to the south are very religious, it’s in their government, it’s everywhere. Some people who call themselves atheists, are called un patriotic, un american, It’s sick… I spend quite a bit of time talking to Americans, and maybe that’s why I have the views on religion that I do. They do control quite a bit of the world after all.

Yes, eccentric, I know some of the things Truthers say, is questionable and can be compared to a religious fanatic. Look at Alex Jones, I’m suprised he hasn’t had a heart attack by now, the way some of his rants are. I see some that are Bat sh*t crazy! I don’t follow it religiously, and that’s one of the few reasons why I just keep my mouth shut now. Or rather, my fingers still… There is no way of knowing if, or when the amero will be seen. And honestly, I’ve almost given up on the whole subject. But I’d rather keep my mind open to it all, then see it tightly shut, like some peoples are.

Spirituality is a part of many religions. And I thinks I was talking about religion.

“atheism also figures in certain religious and spiritual belief systems, such as Jainism, Buddhism and Hinduism. Jainism and some forms of Buddhism do not advocate belief in gods,[12] whereas Hinduism holds atheism to be valid, but difficult to follow spiritually.”

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]
I see some that are Bat sh*t crazy! I don’t follow it religiously, and that’s one of the few reasons why I just keep my mouth shut now.

You’ve just made my argument for me. Why do you bunch all church goers together–black and white, either you’re a church goer and stupid, or you’re an atheist and smart? By your own logic there are varying degrees to which people subscribe to different ideas. I dunno–seems very contradictory to me. Pretty clearly it’s simple prejudice, nothing more.[/quote]

A prejudice based on reason, methinks. Personally I am an agnostic who has rejected religion completely for lack of any evidence whatsoever. I believe religionists (those who believe in magical beings) to be delusional. It’s not a prejudice to me; it’s a reasoned response to an unproven and unprovable idea.

Not totally on topic but I found this interesting.

theglobeandmail.com/news/nat … le1910761/

Someone should change the topic/ title of this thread.

I gotta hear your thoughts on human evolution. The thought of believing in this theory ( unproven) would require you having faith of some sort wouldn’t it?

Where do you get that evolution is unproven? Or are you confused by the word ‘theory’? ie: theory of gravity? It doesn’t mean unproven.

"While theories in the arts and philosophy may address ideas and not easily observable empirical phenomena, in modern science the term “theory”, or “scientific theory” is generally understood to refer to a proposed explanation of empirical phenomena, made in a way consistent with the scientific method. "

Theory doesn’t mean hypothesis. Which is what most people think when they hear the word.

It’s a theory that the Earth is round, and it’s a theory that the Earth travels around the sun, for example.

Proof for evolution is at 100%, unless you’re in denial. Or you somehow think that proving a scientific theory has anything to do with faith in something that is cannot be proven. Accepting evolution doesn’t disprove anything in religion, in my opinion. Just the opposite. Even the Catholic church accepts that evolution is a fact.

Why would you want to believe in a religion that can be proven or disproven? Then it’s not a religion, is it? Faith is about belief in the unknowable.

Well, whether evolution occurs or not is definitely knowable.

Faith then, is believing in a fairy tale.