The 99 percent are a costly little bunch

Cost of the Occupy Vancouver “occupation” 1 millions dollars (so far)!

Getting together with your likeminded friends without having to pay the costs, priceless.

vancouversun.com/news/Occupy … story.html

theprovince.com/travel/Occup … story.html

Don’t forget most of them probably collect welfare cheques too

The cost of democracy. Don’t forget the cost was incurred due to the response by the PTB.

Are you a representative of the 1%? :smile:
People have the right to assemble and protest. As Soggy mentioned it is the price we pay for having a democratic and open society.

Occupy Vancouver has no clear objectives and was a shit show on the last half of their existence. Disregarding health and safety to the point the VFD gets involved, and even hostile to media and journalists when they claim to support freedom of information. Yeah sure that’s the price of democracy, and they sure take it to the point where civil disobedience is totally unnecessary, which therefore pisses off 99% they claim to represent.

I view most, if not all, who organised and participate the Occupy Vancouver as useless to society.

[quote=“PLA”]

I view most, if not all, who organised and participate the Occupy Vancouver as useless to society.[/quote]

Yes. The occupation is inconvenient and at times disorderly, and laws are broken. People have the right and freedom to demonstrate here in Canada. I feel for the 200 people who were recently killed in Syria by government forces. Democracy has a price, but, I think it is worth it.

[quote=“hitest”]

People have the right to assemble and protest. As Soggy mentioned it is the price we pay for having a democratic and open society.[/quote]

Your horse is how high again?

[quote=“Smurfette”]

People have the right to assemble and protest. As Soggy mentioned it is the price we pay for having a democratic and open society.

Your horse is how high again?[/quote]

Hahahaha! :smile:

++

[quote=“PLA”]Occupy Vancouver has no clear objectives and was a shit show on the last half of their existence. Disregarding health and safety to the point the VFD gets involved, and even hostile to media and journalists when they claim to support freedom of information. Yeah sure that’s the price of democracy, and they sure take it to the point where civil disobedience is totally unnecessary, which therefore pisses off 99% they claim to represent.

I view most, if not all, who organised and participate the Occupy Vancouver as useless to society.[/quote]

Clearly you haven’t spent any time researching the Occupy Movement. This is not your usual protest. Many of the “Occupy” groups ARE making clear objectives. The PTB, including corporate media who are being rejected as being part of the problem, want someone to pillory. The occupiers are coming up with many good ideas, and are reporting to them to the independent media because the corporate media are part of the 1%.

Health concerns notwithstanding, the occupiers are generally being peaceful and respectful. It is the PTB who are not.

[quote=“PLA”]Occupy Vancouver has no clear objectives and was a shit show on the last half of their existence. Disregarding health and safety to the point the VFD gets involved, and even hostile to media and journalists when they claim to support freedom of information. Yeah sure that’s the price of democracy, and they sure take it to the point where civil disobedience is totally unnecessary, which therefore pisses off 99% they claim to represent.

Clearly you haven’t spent any time researching the Occupy Movement. This is not your usual protest. Many of the “Occupy” groups ARE making clear objectives. The PTB, including corporate media who are being rejected as being part of the problem, want someone to pillory. The occupiers are coming up with many good ideas, and are reporting to them to the independent media because the corporate media are viewed as part of the 1%.

Health concerns notwithstanding, the occupiers are generally being peaceful and respectful. It is the PTB who are not.

[quote=“Soggy”]

Clearly you haven’t spent any time researching the Occupy Movement. This is not your usual protest. Many of the “Occupy” groups ARE making clear objectives. The PTB, including corporate media who are being rejected as being part of the problem, want someone to pillory. The occupiers are coming up with many good ideas, and are reporting to them to the independent media because the corporate media are viewed as part of the 1%.

Health concerns notwithstanding, the occupiers are generally being peaceful and respectful. It is the PTB who are not.[/quote]

They were points so nice, that they had to be made twice!!

Though we’re having trouble translating PTB, perhaps this can help.

acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/PTB

PTB=Powers That Be

Regardless of the objectives of the protest, the protestors were either independently wealthy, have VERY understanding employers OR collect welfare. I, for one, do not feel I should support someone to protest while being paid by my tax dollars. In my opinion, anyone who was protesting and collecting welfare should be cut off and forced to find a job…and pay taxes!

Well I guess the goals of the Occupy Movement are a little unclear and I guess the people continuing the protest are maybe not the most representative of the middle class to which most of us aspire, and I guess the protest has passed its due date, but I am finding some of the comments remarkably ironic.

Yes a million bucks is a lot of money. But if I am doing the math correctly we would need 700,000 occupy movements to match the bailout for just the US banks back in 2008.

And for sure the occupiers should be paying their fair share of taxes just just like the 1% and corporations do. Oh wait a minute…

[quote=“DWhite”]
And for sure the occupiers should be paying their fair share of taxes just just like the 1% and corporations do. Oh wait a minute…[/quote]

Well played, Sir! :smile:

I think the hardships of this type of protest including the police (possible and sometimes imminent) brutality, exposure and restraint (not punching people in the face when you get pepper sprayed because you refused to move - because you know, that’s part of peaceful protest) is more than an acceptable level of service provided if some or all of these people are on social assistance. Afterall, they’re protesting to unveil a mask of corporate profiteering via government lobbying and subsidizing and corporate pollution of our government - not some hippie concept like “Peace” and “Make Love.”

A headless movement is a bit confusing but obviously the headless nature of the protest is because these are regular people fed up with a system that allows private money to run our government on many different levels - not politcal party representatives with narrow mandates of particular issues that effect %7 of the population. Hence the %99 reference.

Don’t forget, many of these “homeless, welfare bums” were part of the middle class in another life.