Tabacco laws

Are there new rules in B.C. now?  Im at bcit and your not aloud to smoke a certain distance from the buildings, and stores here are not aloud to sell them anymore

It started at midnight  Billy

stores can sell smokes but they cant be in the open and they cant be seen by the public for more the 30 sec at a time. if there behind a curtain.

and Vancouver its 6 meters and not 3 meters in front of a public door.

I’m all for anti-smoking laws but those laws just seem really really stupid.

There can’t be displays of any kind advertising tobacco products in any store a minor is allowed into. You have to be Three meters away from doorways, windows and vents. Smoking is no longer permitted in any public restaraunt, bar, pub, etc.
And also, no Government institute, or school campus is allowed to sell tobacco.

I’m glad, smokers really never care who they are effecting when they smoke.
But the rest of the laws that the cancer society are lobbying for are a little bit over the top.

I had to ask for ‘a couple of those things that are so goddam bad you can’t even let us know you sell them’.
Won’t use that line at Overwaitea or I’m likely to get 2 bags of Western Family frozen fries…

I hear the next thing they want to go after is Multi-Unit dwellings. No smoking in your apartment. Or on your balcony.

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Someone was telling me its now illegal to smoke in your vehicle with children in it now, Is that true? I would hope so.

Not that I know of.
Although parents should never smoke around their kids, it’s kind of hard to stop the ones who don’t give a rats behind.

As of today, in Nova Scotia, Ontario and Quebec.

ok lets say i get caught smoking in front of a building or in a car full of kids, what kind of fine would i be looking at if a pig had the gull to enforce these new laws?

i cant see anyone taking this seriously, is this some sort of lame april fools joke?

Its not an April Fools joke. They have employed specific ‘enforcers’…i think there are around 30 in British Columbia. They will only investigate you if there are complaints. There was this big news story on it last night and many officers were saying that.
Seriously, I dont smoke, nor will I ever but I feel really bad for the smokers. Its not like they wish they were doing this…its an addiction and I feel as if they are been seen as these ill-human people who smoke. I understand what smoking does and what it can lead to but I just feel like smokers are looked upon as a stain to society or something…I dont think its a fair judgement at all.

“Oh, please, government - protect us from ourselves. Protect us from our neighbours who are too lazy or self-absorbed to kick their addiction. Protect our children from those of us willing to jeopardize our children’s health for the sake of that addiction. High prices won’t stop us. Proven health risks won’t help us.”

• sigh -

I now KNOW that I live in a crazy world because I think I am starting to agree with the Rapturites!

Maybe it is all a part of some built-in self-destruct mechanism.

[quote=“mynameisrose”]
smokers are looked upon as a stain to society or something[/quote]

That’s because they are.  Not only are they endangering their own health but the health of everyone around them when they smoke.  Don’t forget the strain smokers put on the healthcare system either. 

It’s not our fault. Somebody addicted our ancestors. We should get settlements…

( just HAD to use that line )

Why???    No one made them start smoking.  Why should NON smokers have to breath the toxic air caused by cigarettes???  I certainly don’t want to and I definitely don’t want my kids to!

“Oh, please, government - protect us from ourselves. Protect us from our neighbours who are too lazy or self-absorbed to kick their addiction. Protect our children from those of us willing to jeopardize our children’s health for the sake of that addiction. High prices won’t stop us. Proven health risks won’t help us.”

• sigh -

Please forgive me if I quoted this wrong, however Thoughtful Citizen, as a smoker I would like to say a lil something. Well “Lazy”, I am not, “Self Absorbed”, to quit, yeah that I am. I love you “Non Smokers”, that "Hate us smokers. Tell you what, the next time that you go to your car, start the car, then go to the tailpipe, and take a couple of breaths off of it, cause I could GUARANTEE you that those couple of breaths would be more deadlier than a couple of puffs off of a cigarette, yet we breathe in Carbon Monoxide everyday from vehicles, and yes, even right here in Rupert.  School buses, City vehicles, Emergency vehicles, Transit buses, and Tractor trucks all blowing out black carbon, yet our children breathe it in everyday, not to mention that a good amount of cars here in good ole Rupert, Do Not belong on the road, due to piss poor vehicle emissions, and last but not least, Sure vote for the government to ban tobacco sales in Canada, Hey Non Smoker’s, watch your taxes skyrocket, so our fine government would be able to recover from the “Loss of Revenue”  This past weekend my upstairs neighbors went out, and their sitter decided to have a lil party, well this lil party had in excess of twenty teenagers, most of whom were smoking, ALL of them were drinking, well I,  had to call the police, and one of the "Drunk teens decided to smash out a signal light on the police car, now do you honestly think that smoking or drinking could have made that teen smash out a signal light from a police car, while the police were there,

I think we could all use a little bit more consideration when it comes to our fellow humans.
We all live on this planet together, smoker or non smoker. If smokers could care a little bit more about the non smokers, then I’m sure the non smokers would be willing to do the same.

Instead of smoking right beside the door, walk a little further, non smokers don’t like walking into a pall of smoke. There’s more than likely a reason we aren’t smoking ourselves.

Not all smokers are like this, but I find most of the ones I encounter, are very inconsiderate. Yes it is raining outside. But if you choose to have the habit of smoking, and don’t want to put any effort into quitting, then don’t complain about having to smoke in the rain.

Start to care about your fellow people, maybe then we can do the same for you.

The ONLY issue that I have with the new smoking laws is that they were not put into effect a couple of years ago.  Many businesses throughout the province spent thousands of dollars to construct well ventilated smoking rooms to comply with the new laws.  Now only 5 or 6 years later they are not allowed to use these spaces for what they were designed for.  They were built to come into compliance with new laws.  I feel very strongly that the provincial government should be compensating these people for their lost investment.

First, use the return key.  Second, those vehicle emissions don’t have nearly the amount of carcinogens that cigarettes have.

http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/nicotineinhaler/a/cigingredients.htm

Third, yes I do think drinking made that teen smash out a light on the police car.  Don’t you?