Subway Bread Issue

Seems like Subway was up to no good…check the latest news on this link

ottawasun.com/2014/02/06/sub … ead-report

Warning: Coming from a government background myself (Health Canada), You can’t trust what the government says either…They can order a company to remove the substance but they don’t have enough resources to follow up on it.

The logic is kind of funny. A chemical is found in a yoga mat, so it’s bad for you. Well, we use salt on the roads to melt ice. Must be bad for you. I wash my car with water, must be bad for you.

To be fatal, the chemical needs to be 10-15% of your total diet. Even if you eat subway 3 times a day, the amount you’re eating isn’t measurable. You’re eating thousands of times more rat poop and that kind of thing instead.

The Office for Science and Society blog (which is awesome, BTW) takes on the issue: blogs.mcgill.ca/oss/2014/02/06/y … ng-agents/

“Azidocarbonamide is allowed in bread to the extent of 45 parts per million. That means a Subway sandwich, one of the targets of this attack, has an insignificant 10 milligrams. There’s more rodent poop remnants and insect fragments in there. Yes, azidocarbonamide has toxicity in dogs when fed at levels of about 5-10% of their diet. The percent of the human diet is so trivial that it cannot even be calculated. As far as the asthma connection goes, well, that refers to inhaling the powder in an occupational setting. It has absolutely nothing to do with the trace amounts in bread. And the fact that this chemical is used in the manufacture of some plastics and the soles of shoes? Another scientifically bankrupt argument. Salt is used to melt ice on the street. That doesn’t mean it is dangerous in food.”

It’s the same basic problem as the Fukushima one, or the Asptertame, or the WiFi one: quantity. 45 parts per million isn’t going to do anything.

-The World Health Organization has linked it to respiratory issues, allergies and asthma.

• When a truck carrying azodicarbonamide overturned on a Chicago highway in 2001, it prompted city officials to issue the highest hazardous materials alert and evacuate people within a half mile radius! Many of the people on the scene complained of burning eyes and skin irritation as a result.
  • The U.K. Health And Safety Executive has recognized azodicarbonamide as a potential cause of asthma.
  • When azodicarbonamide is heated, there are studies that show it is linked to tumor development and cancer.
  • Not only is this ingredient banned in Europe and Australia, but you also get fined 450,000 dollars if you get caught using it in Singapore and can serve 15 years in prison.

my point was to say that restaurants and other food venues can get away with putting anything in food. Recent studies found that over 70% of organic food sold in Canada is covered with pesticides. Just saying…

I don’t think anybody’s arguing that it’s a good chemical. But the quantities are insanely small. That’s why I think it’s like the “WiFi causes cancer” and “Aspertame causes cancer!” stuff. A matter of quantities.

If you burn salt, you can also produce a gas that will kill you.

The WHO says pickles will give you cancer.

If you inhale water, you will usually die. Especially if it’s a lot of it.

“azodicarbonamide as a potential cause of asthma.” Only in the powdered form at a work place (ie: place that makes it). Certainly not as an ingredient in bread. You know wheat can cause asthma in the same situations, right?

I guess the point is that we have:

1. Really bad science
    and
  2. Lack of understanding of what quantities means.

Name any “all natural” and good for you food, and you can find a condition where it will kill you. Or how it’s used in industrial applications.

Yup. What’s even scarier is the ‘allowable’ limit for stuff like bugs and rat droppings :smile:

Another great quote from the blog linked above:

“Then there is the tiresome tome about not wanting to eat anything that has a name that can’t be easily pronounced. A giveaway of scientific illiteracy. I suppose our charming “food babe,” as she calls herself would want to stay far away from cyanocobalamine. Not only is it hard to pronounce but it has cyanide! But she would be robbing herself of vitamin B6. So what’s next? A petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide, a chemical used to formulate soft drinks? After all, it is an ingredient in many pesticides and drain cleaners. Oops…that’s been done!”

Holy crap! foodbabe.com/2012/07/30/why-its- … microwave/

“For the experiment pictured above, microwaved water produced a similar physical structure to when the words “satan” and “hitler” were repeatedly exposed to the water.”

Guess it’s time to stop using a microwave as well!

At least I’ll die happy with my Subway Roast Beef sandwich. :smile:

Well, now that Canada no longer has a operating asbestos it was time to go after that other real killer. The SUBWAY SANDWICH!

Sadly the closure of the mine looks like it was the result of natural causes, rather than a government edict to close the mind and quit killing people in the 3rd world who don’t have the right equipment to handle asbestos.

rightoncanada.ca/?p=1591

Are we all dying again? I mean really subway has chemical additives? you gotta be fucking kidding me. Always fresh am I right guys?

but seriously fuck aspartame that shit gives me instant headaches (yes even if I didnt know it was in whatever until after).

The Overwaitea manager didn’t appreciate it when I showed her some Dempster’s bread and said "No wonder it goes mouldy in a day or twp. Look it’s made with Ancient Grains!"
When the only Canadian citizen working at our Subway is the owner, I don’t think bread additives are the newsworthy issue…