Stupid things you learn in school

Everyone should post there comments on stupid things in school, or pointless things they teach you.

I think theres alot of bad teachers in prince rupert. I went to charles hays and i learned some pretty stupid stuff. I remember havin a english 11 class and doing a family tree presentation. We spent like 3 or 4 weeks on it. That was so stupid. My writing skills are shit cuase of stupid things like this. Maybe i dont want people knowin about my family.
I thought drama class was kinda stupid for grade 8/9 ish, i remember playin all these stupid games, which was great cuase there was no work involved… isnt that why people take this class?
French was stupid, who even remembers anything other then Comma sava, or oui, or bonjour. I took 3 years of french and this is all i got out of it. Bad teachers?
Ok wost of all is Capp class, sure you learn stupid work exp… Most people are workin by then anyways. Ive talked to alot of people and they doing even do anything but sit there and watch. Its stupid… Why send people out to learn about work exp when they should be learnin it at school.

They should make drivers ed a course, and lay off all the “L” “N” stuff.
Most jobs require the ablity to drive, but nooooo lets go to english class and do spellin test of the longest words that ill never use in the dictionary. Mechanics was good, why not have more classes like that. Like basic electrician stuff.
If you really think about it, school was stupid. They teach u how to learn, but it dont make sence.
Teach you how to learn with stuff that you will use…
No wonder the japanesse are smarter then us.

If anyone on here is still in school, and your doing some stupid project, tell your teacher “this is fuckin stupid” and tell him/her that they dont know how to teach

How many more times will he reply to his own thread? Find out on tonight’s episode of Pointless Drivel!

Well what about math? are we gonna be frequently useing the quadratic forumla in life? we gonna be graphing parabolas

I think we should learn how to do our taxes, something we can put to use other then useless crap

Well, guess what? Teachers have to teach things mandated by the Ministry of Education:

http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/irp/curric/lo.html

So you could try to make the ministry change the curriculum. Good Luck!

Fiigure that one out on your own, good job matlock

no shit they have to teach what they teach, the whole system is bunk

I was wondering how often the curriculum is changed around the Province?
I believe it would benefit the students if the curriculum was modifyed every few years.

( Oh and what does this topic have to do with web links??)

[quote=“Tootz”]

( Oh and what does this topic have to do with web links??)[/quote]

What do you mean?

We’ll personally durring Highschool I found CAPP to be somewhat entertaining, sure it was a easy class but they basically hit you with stuff that we all need to know and gets right to the point… Also i found that Career Prep with Mr. Crawford rocked, found out what I liked and didn’t like about working at a few differant places. Now, im in the same Industry i wanted to be in. and I owe it too him.

So personally CAPP and Career Prep are valuable. to get a hands on experiance on Work, Life and the world itself.

[quote=“Daniel”]Fiigure that one out on your own, good job matlock

no shit they have to teach what they teach, the whole system is bunk[/quote]

Dude… The whole system aint that bad… Honestly durring highschool i found school to suck. but I reilize now that im out in the working world that School was a very valuable thing and that they do there best to prepare us for the Real World… Sure i took all shop classes and PE and stuff and Computer classes but it was what I wanted and Honestly I’d Like to thank alot of teachers while I was at CHSS for teaching me skills that I use everyday… You will see when you get outta school… and Reilize that the whole system is not that bunk… Wow, who woulda thought… Tim… sticking up for the School… WOw! haha I even amaze myself at times.

Also highschool was a rad place.

yngwie graduated with me… well I think he gradded… anyways same age. As I remember, he wasn’t the easiest person to approach, and heaven forbid someone try to help him learn something.

Teachers do what they can… and teach the ones that want to learn, and want to be there. The ones that don’t want to learn bitch about the system and what it’s not doing for them, when really, the kid is the one to blame as they don’t want to put in the effort to learn something new.

Personally, I thought Mr Leach was the best teacher I ever had, strictly for the reason that I actually learned things in his class, unlike my other english class, which was like kindergarten. 90% of the other people in my class hated him though, because he actually had something to teach us, and he didn’t sugarcoat it all for them like every other teacher did, he made us try, and flat out said "you aren’t going to pass if you aren’t going to do the work.

Go Tim! Remember the “Purple Cow” from Humanties 8? That was sweet…ha ha ha. Yeah, I actually liked CAPP, and career prep, too. But since I did some schooling in good ol’ Europe, where I grew up, the school system was a bit better in my opinion. I finished gr. 6 back home, and went straight into gr 8. when I moved here. I realized, for example I knew most of the gr. 8 and 9 math. Which on the other hand, means the European system is crammed, but so incredibly efficient. In my senior years, at one point, my dad called me “stupified”, because he was surprised on the lack on general knowledge of the young Canadian people. I, on the other hand, think the system has its advantages and disadvantages, like anything else, right? After all, it is each individuals’ responsibility on what they want to learn from this world or not. That is what university is for on most part, widening our intellectual horizons. It sucks that it costs so much money to attend a post secondary school though. That is what’s keeping me back at the moment. And as for the teachers, there is a couple that inspired me, and I think are great people. It’s when they show they actually care about how each student does, and make an effort to have that connection with each student, no matter the increasing class sizes. I admired that. Back home, in Europe, teachers worked for crap pay, classes with at least 40-45 students, and no one complained. I think having the experience from two different sides means a lot. My gosh, am I blabbing or what?! When I think about it all, I am so gratuful I live in such a great country where education is provided, and where you have so many opportunities, unlike some places in this world. I believe that was my point all along…I get carried away.

Teachers can only do so much for people who think that learning involves sitting in a seat and letting a teacher fill their head with information. If you really want to learn, you have to be proactive about it.

If you sit in class and expect to know everything based on what the teacher is saying in class, well, you’re probably not going to learn very much in a long-term sense. If you really want to solidify everything, you have to apply it through examples, read the textbook, and make your own connections! This is what’s called “active learning”, and it’s what everyone should be doing when they really want to learn.

People who spout their own ignorant prejudice opinions drive me nuts.

And I’m sure you’re one of those people who would love to go to school in Japan. Its easy over there ya know…no pressure or anything…no effort needed…you magically get the knowledge…yah… :unamused:

But Smartass, you didn’t exactly “rip it up” in the other teacher’s English…er kindergarten class either, did you? :smiley:

[quote=“lamename”]

But Smartass, you didn’t exactly “rip it up” in the other teacher’s English…er kindergarten class either, did you? :smiley:[/quote]

Actually, I believe I did rather well in that class, or I hope so compared to the other idiots I kept getting partnered with. My mark wasn’t as good as Leach’s class, but when the work is tremendously easy, I tend to not do it, or put in the least effort possible to get it done.

So it was a question of personal motivation? If so,whose fault is that? Its tough, so many classes nowadays are filled with lone geniuses surrounded by idiots. The rooms are full of them.

If the work is easy and monotonous, then the students aren’t going to try as hard. Challenges are always better than an easy win.

[quote=“Daniel”]Well what about math? are we gonna be frequently useing the quadratic forumla in life? we gonna be graphing parabolas

I think we should learn how to do our taxes, something we can put to use other then useless crap[/quote]

I use math all of the time when I write PHP code.

I am job