Street worker bracing for gang influx

From the Daily News today:

Street worker bracing for gang influx

By Kris Schumacher
The Daily News

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

With the Fairview Container Terminal operational and container traffic expected to increase exponentially, the possibility of increased organized crime activity within Prince Rupert is something police and other stakeholders have on their minds.

Street Outreach Services Coordinator Myles Moreau is one local citizen concerned about the impact that an increased organized crime presence would have on the city. He says at least two gangs are already established in Prince Rupert, and more are settling in slowly, but surely.

“I’ve had a few businessmen comment on seeing new faces and characters around, and I’ve seen some new people coming into town whether from Alberta or elsewhere down the line,” said Moreau.

“Now, with the RCMP speculating there are seven different gangs vying for control of the North, I really feel that by summer they are going to be settled in and we are going to start seeing some fights going on for sure. Even if three or four get into town, we’re going to have some kind of bloodbath on the streets.”

Moreau says that in his 20 years of outreach work on the streets, he has never seen so many young people using and dealing dangerous drugs, particularly crack cocaine and heroin.

In combination with the rampant drug sales and abuse by young people, Moreau believes other problems such as teen prostitution will only increase with an influx of criminal activity.

“I’m seeing 12-year-olds getting wired, 13-year-olds selling themselves to feed addictions,” said Moreau.

“High school kids are playing with coke and heroin. When I worked in the high school years ago, our big concern was the smell of pot on somebody’s clothes, or alcohol on their breath. Now, we have kids on crack, and the drugs they’re doing are very violent.”

A recent article in the Prince George Citizen reported that gang activity is growing in strength in Northern B.C.

The Citizen report said seven of 129 known organized crime groups are already operating in the North.

Constable Craig Douglass, North District RCMP headquarters spokesman, said that while seven of the 129 known gangs in British Columbia may seem a small percentage, that number only reflects the groups the RCMP have tracked into the region. He says there are likely more groups active in the North, but they either have yet to be tracked and profiled, or are just not as identifiable as other high profile gangs who “fly colours.”

Douglass also says that all the identified groups in the North are subsidiaries of the Hells Angels to some degree, but they vary in their levels of allegiance and connectivity to the main branch.

“We are aware of the potential problems for Prince Rupert and are working on them,” said Douglass, who himself grew up in Prince Rupert. “We have criminal analyst positions and their job is tracking these things. There are three of those positions in Prince George, one federal, one provincial and one municipal, but they’re not bound by the borders of the community. They help analyze information and spit it back out in such a way so that police can use it for investigative purposes.”

Douglass says that while Prince Rupert would be impacted by an increased organized crime presence, most drugs would be either imported or exported through Prince Rupert and not necessarily stay in the city.

Moreau contends that regardless of whether more drugs end up on the streets, when criminal elements set up operations in a community, there are other ways the gangs derive income in addition to narcotics.

“Once we’ve got gangs settling in, we’ll have white-collar crime that we’ll have to start dealing with,” he said. “People a lot of times forget about the white-collar crime, the same way when we talk drugs, people forget about pharmaceutical drugs.”

While he suggests a lack of manpower in the local RCMP has led to an increase in the drug trade on the streets, Moreau feels the problem of organized crime is something the whole community needs to confront in order to be at all effective in curbing activity. He says city councillors need to wake up to what’s going on out on their streets, and business leaders need to set examples by refusing to do business with those people they know to be involved in criminal activity.

“People in their own neighbourhoods need to keep their eyes open and make the calls, in order to let these people know they’re not welcome in the community,” said Moreau. “I’m trying to put together a group, ‘For Safer Communities’, that will be made up of regular citizens, not people who like to go to meeting after meeting without seeing any product.”

Anyone interested in contacting Moreau or finding out more information about his community efforts can reach him at 622-2767.

Scary stuff!

Agreed.  That is frightening indeed.  I frequently chat with my 13 year old about drugs, alcohol, and the other realities of high school life.  With increased prosperity comes crime.

Hmm, would seem we’re getting the crime without the increased prosperity thing just at the moment. But agreed it’s a very worrisome thing, one hopes that city council takes heed of Mr. Moreau’s observations.

There is a definite need to make sure that the criminal element that involves themselves in these activities are warned that there is no place for them in the city.

You have to wonder how an undermanned police department might be able to tackle the problem, so there’s something for council to talk about as well.

An incident in Prince George today, shows the prevelance of the drug trade and targetted violence that seems to have crept into that city.

opinion250.com/blog/view/819 … n+hospital

I wouldn’t want to see this kind of thing arrive in our city, though some days you have to worry that maybe we’re already behind the curve when it comes to knocking out the welcome mat.

Anyways, it’s an interesting if worrisome thing to be watching out for.

Hmmm, guess this means that Mig is getting ready to take on the Podunkian portal for news an information…  Beat me to the posting phase by about half an hour…  though the Snoozle article as actually from Wednesday’s paper but hey that’s a technicality eh… first to the streets Mig was with link…

Damn you Mig… :smiley:   

Everybody believes they have their turf sewn up but if the gangs get here who will give it up. Kids have no idea where and what they are getting into.

It’s time to legalize all drugs, treat them in a medical paradigm … and kick the crap out of the profiteers of crime … especially those who use violence.

Prohibition of alcohol created criminals like Al Capone.

www.leap.cc

Fondly remembering Gil Puder

I completely agree. It’s really too bad we’re going in the opposite direction and getting US style laws that will only raise prices of drugs and in turn cause more crime. Ahh bureaucracy and the stupidity of them masses.

Oh and Mig, work on your thread titles. I thought this was gonna be about a hooker who’s bracing to make a lot more money.

I’m glad someone else said it first, it is the only productive and sane approach. The problem now is our christian government, the law will be based on their religious bias and beliefs, they are calling for stiff penalties and massive increase in busts. I have never understood the mentality of “if what we are doing isnt working, lets do it harder and faster”, nevermind what the truth is, to our voters it will appear we are getting tough with them, we need someone to hate too and we dont have much in the way of terrosrist threats for us to power stroke ourselves, so we will take on the addicts like they are terrorists. Lets ignore the advice from our appointed medical experts, the ones who we asked what to do due to thier vast knowledge on the subject because it didnt agree with our christians bias, after all this country doesnt belong to the citizens, not unless they are pure as snow christians like we are. This will remain a nightmare untill they remove it from the realm of politics and hand it over to the medical establishment, where it belongs.

My preference?

#1 > #2 > #3

Honestly what the fuck is it to you if someone is getting high. So long as they dont bother you it isnt your business now is it? or are you one of those people who feels the need to push their ideals on others?

Drugs are illegal and continue to be illegal so the drug companies can continue to rake in their massive profits. 

More education and public denunciation would do wonders to curb new drug users. Look at how the attitudes towards smoking and drinking have changed. Before you could smoke in airplanes, restaurants, etc, now smokers have almost been demonized. You can’t even have a smoke outside businesses and public areas and its getting more restrictive. Drinking too, look at how drinking and driving laws and attitudes have changed. With the exception being DARE classes in grade 5, I don’t really see much more drug education (although Myles Moreau came to Conrad back in the day).

It seems there’s an attitude that if we talk to kids about cocaine and crystal meth they’re going to run out and try it. An egg getting boiled to show your brain on drugs is pretty sterized. Show commercials about crack shacks, show someone high on cocaine, stripping off their clothes and fighting with the police. Take a tour of George Street in Prince George and show the day in the life of drug users. Stuff like Through a Blue Lens that the Vancouver police did.

New laws should focus on the dealers of the hard drugs, not end users of marijuana. The hard stuff can never be legalised because of the damage and destruction they cause. Imagine running up to Rainbow at lunch time to get your cocaine or crstal meth fix, never going to happen. People on those drugs turn into animals, they’re irrational, have superhuman strength and have hearts going 180 beats a minute. Now put them behind the wheel of a car or in a school or mall setting, scary stuff.

As a society lets focus more on hard drugs and less on if it should be illegal to smoke in one’s vehicle with their children. If the parents are already smoking around their kids, making in illegal isn’t going to make them any smarter.

the way I see it nothing has changed other then no smoking inside some places,  go for a walk anywhere around town, zellers, safeway, timhortons, overwaite, any business for that matter, you see not only people doing their shopping but employees also sitting outside not 5 feet from the door having a smoke, I see it daily, drinking is another thing I still see people at different places around town huddled up drinking, whether it be “The Brick” “X-files” or what ever they name it my kids tell me about it when they come home. “kids go to these places to drink” if you go anywhere within 100ft. of the high schools and you can smell the scent of weed,  even at CHSS I went to get some lunch there on my way home from work the other day and kids were outside the store smoking weed, with out a care.  the way I see it is if it’s not right in your face it’s not your business, but that’s just me.  walking to safeway I seen a kid sitting on a sidewalk rolling up a joint and to be honest a lot of people were out cause it was around 4p.m. and he didn’t seem to care.  drugs have been around for decades I remember when I was growing up friends of the family would talk about their friends or people they seen at parties doing drugs.  my family simply put it as plain as day.  don’t do it.  there were times I was offered different drugs but it wasn’t for me.  please excuse the rambling it’s 5a.m. and it was a long night at work.  Drugs Are Bad MmmmmKay? but they are still everywhere and anywhere you go.

[quote=“V!]2u$”]
the way I see it nothing has changed other then no smoking inside some places,  go for a walk anywhere around town, zellers, safeway, timhortons, overwaite, any business for that matter, you see not only people doing their shopping but employees also sitting outside not 5 feet from the door having a smoke, I see it daily, drinking is another thing I still see people at different places around town huddled up drinking, whether it be “The Brick” “X-files” or what ever they name it my kids tell me about it when they come home. “kids go to these places to drink” if you go anywhere within 100ft. of the high schools and you can smell the scent of weed,  even at CHSS I went to get some lunch there on my way home from work the other day and kids were outside the store smoking weed, with out a care.  the way I see it is if it’s not right in your face it’s not your business, but that’s just me.  walking to safeway I seen a kid sitting on a sidewalk rolling up a joint and to be honest a lot of people were out cause it was around 4p.m. and he didn’t seem to care.  drugs have been around for decades I remember when I was growing up friends of the family would talk about their friends or people they seen at parties doing drugs.  my family simply put it as plain as day.  don’t do it.  there were times I was offered different drugs but it wasn’t for me.  please excuse the rambling it’s 5a.m. and it was a long night at work.  Drugs Are Bad MmmmmKay? but they are still everywhere and anywhere you go.
[/quote]

Ever done drugs? I smoke pot on a fairly regular basis. No adverse effects here, I hold down a job, get raises every review period and in general lead a fantastic life.  I am sure some people here will point out some of my erratic posts but my online persona is much different than real life :wink:

Bah…I don’t know. I really don’t care if anyone does pot or whatever their drug of choice is.
It’s their choice, and whether it was a thought out decision by someone to make it an every day thing or not, it is still their choice.

It has been beat into my head ever since I was a little kid “Just say no”.
Of course, being a teenager it’s kind of hard to stay away from…so I tried it, just pot.
No matter how much of it I smoked, it never did anything for me.
So I haven’t done it in quite some time, and I don’t feel like I am missing anything at all.
I have friends who will smoke pot occasionally, even around me and that’s fine.
I am going to try my hardest to teach my kids not to get into any sorts of drugs.
I’ve seen the different types of effects it has had on people, and I don’t like it.
Especially the harsh crap out there right now that could kill you…
In my opinion, you can have just as much fun sober.

Don’t rag on the Christians, they don’t all oppose cannabis:

http://christiansforcannabis.com

Christians and any denomination, I believe that this is all another Jerry Springer show. I believe that the initial news release was to advise the community of the possible bit of reality that we are sure to see something more organized coming to our town “Gangs” and that we as a community must try and stand up for what is ours, our children must come first and we again as a community should not allow any group to come in and control much of the social polution which seems to be at our doorway already. I do believe that this is the purpose for the article.

You’re either an idiot or  ignorant not really sure which.  I’ve completed a university degree (while smoking pot) I hold down a job making about 65K/year, I am out playing sports, skiing and generally being active daily. I smoke pot, I dont drive high just like I dont drive drunk. I am a danger to no-one and a productive member of society more so than a lot of non pot smokers.

I also when the mood strikes eat “magic mushrooms” again no adverse effects.  I’ll agree some people SHOULDN’T smoke pot just like some people shouldn’t drink alcohol but it sure as fuck isn’t your place to tell them they cant.

I’d also like you to inform me how exactly I am “abusing drugs”. Is a person who has a few beer a couple times a week abusing alcohol?  I don’t think so.  I have a couple joints a week (more on night shifts. Helps adjust sleeping patterns)  how is that abusing drugs? 

I’m not even going to bother trying to convince you that drugs should be legalized. You and the rest of the anti-drug population can continue to sit there and pop your kids full of ritalin, take your RLS pills, sleep medication, and anti depressants and tell me I’m abusing drugs because I smoke some weed to relax at the end of a hard day.

How exactly would I be doing better if I didn’t do drugs? I started my current job making 28k/year 2 years ago. I’ve more than doubled my salary in 2 years, I enjoy everyday of my life and wouldn’t change a thing. I already go to the gym for 2 hours daily and have been playing hockey/skiing whenever possible. 

Ok I lie, if I could change anything I’d get laid more often but not smoking pot wouldn’t help me out much there. I’m an ugly fucker :wink:

… and you would be quite wrong on that point …

the behaviour is there first.

Duuuude.  There’s no way a pot-smoker could like um… win an Olympic medal or something.  That would never happen.  Duuuuude.