Streaming council meetings online

[quote=“MiG”]

…The mayor saying “I’m not sure about being on the leading edge, you might be on the leading edge of our own demise” is an indication of a lack of transparency.

Having a mayor who doesn’t know how to (or is afraid to) reply to an e-mail is an indication of a lack of transparency…[/quote]

Well not sure what to say about our mayor, it’s either his way or the hwy. I know I definitely will not be voting for him if he decides to run in the next election. I just cannot believe how big a bully he is. A friend told me at last night’s SQCRD meeting, a letter (item 5 on the agenda) regarding the recycling submitted by the PR Environmental Society, gave two suggestions for extending recycling hours on Saturday to accommodate the citizens who take their recycling goods out there on Saturdays only. (open only from 10-2, due to cutbacks). The board said they will review it in the budget for 2011 that happens in the spring.

So Jean Martin has so graciously put in many volunteer hours and attends the SQCRD meetings to let the directors know what is going on. During additions to the agenda, Mr. Mussallem was added to the agenda item 11. He commented that the outside of the building needs to be cleaned up and trees trimmed along the fence. (Something Jean Martin brought to the last City of PR council meeting re: maintenance). Then of course he sprung a good one, according to the “bylaw” regarding the committee that Jean Martin has served on for the pass 15 yrs, he noted that members have a term of two years and the committee will be reviewed. My friend said Jean left the meeting very upset as she feels some directors on the SQCRD would like to get rid of her off the committee.

I heard this is not the first time our mayor has not liked hearing from people and did council not do the same thing to the former health advisory committee? Wasn’t it dissolved (their services were no longer needed), Guess if anyone does not go with the status quo and question how things are run or make suggestions, the gag order is in place, hoping people will just get frustrated and quit.

Jean Martin is very passionate about recycling and her cause is a very good one. It would be nice to see more people stand with her and/or let council and SQCRD know how important our recycling depot is to them. We do not want her to quit, she has a wealth of history and knowledge of the beginning of the depot that is valuable information. Having someone knowing what has worked and not worked, and avenues that have already been researched, and many questions she can answer and one would get the true facts about the organization, is priceless and appreciated.

[quote=“Bettyboop86”]… During additions to the agenda, Mr. Mussallem was added to the agenda item 11… Then of course he sprung a good one, according to the “bylaw” regarding the committee that Jean Martin has served on for the pass 15 yrs, he noted that members have a term of two years and the committee will be reviewed. My friend said Jean left the meeting very upset as she feels some directors on the SQCRD would like to get rid of her off the committee…
[/quote]

It’s hard to know what bylaw Director Mussallem is referring to since the Skeena-Queen Charlotte Regional District does not maintain a web site where citizens can learn about decisions made and how tax revenue collected from Rupert citizens is being spent.

The Regional District used to have a modest web site, but no longer. Of course, these days the City government which Mayor Mussallem is the head of no longer has a functioning web site either. That has to be pretty much unique in BC; neither the city nor the regional government having online public information services.

Dismissing Ms Martin from a committee she has been active on for many years, if that happens, would be a petty decision and possibly vindictive. Apparently at a previous Regional District meeting Director Mussallem told her that if she called him at home in future he would be calling the police citing criminal harrassment. It’s all quite pathetic.

It’s hard to know what bylaw Director Mussallem is referring to since the Skeena-Queen Charlotte Regional District does not maintain a web site where citizens can learn about decisions made and how tax revenue collected from Rupert citizens is being spent.

The Regional District used to have a modest web site, but no longer. Of course, these days the City government which Mayor Mussallem is the head of no longer has a functioning web site either. That has to be pretty much unique in BC; neither the city nor the regional government having online public information services.

Dismissing Ms Martin from a committee she has been active on for many years, if that happens, would be a petty decision and possibly vindictive. Apparently at a previous Regional District meeting Director Mussallem told her that if she called him at home in future he would be calling the police citing criminal harrassment. It’s all quite pathetic.[/quote]

You are being much to kind when you refer to the emperor’s actions as pathetic. With the precedent already set that the term limits mean nothing, trying to boot off a committee member because of a two year term limit is indefensible.

Frankly it’t time to light the torches and grab the garden implements to make a visit to City Hall to give Council direction about treating citizens with respect. After giving them a lesson in civics, perhaps they can then demand that our representative on SQCRD speaks for the City and in a fashion that is defensible.

While there may be small man syndrome at play here, unfortunately this council is just continuing the sort of insider politics that’s held this community back from making any real changes for the better. Maybe it’s time to consider electing a slate of politicians to clean out the deadwood from this council.

Did Mr. Mussallem serve as the Corporate Administrator under Lester? Wasn’t he the Mayor at the time of the establishment of the Recycle? Hmmm and continues to put in by-laws? Guess he really is not listening to the people.

From what I recall the recycling centre was estabished as a regional district function when Mayor Lester was the chair, his idea being that Rupert taxpayers put so much money into the regional district that they should get something back in services. The relevant bylaw probably dates back to that era. I doubt that Director Mussallem introduced it.

I believe that Mr Mussallem was city clerk under Mr Howie during Mayor Lester’s tenure. That postion seems to have been replaced by corporate administrator since the Community Charter was introduced. I would not read too much into that history.

As for the regional district, I think that councillor Ashley would be a more effective city representative, because she can be outspoken, and (though some would no doubt disagree) councillor Gordon-Payne, because she pays attention to finances, and the regional district is a significant cost to city taxpayers that too little attention is paid to. There seems to be an informal pecking order within city council, though, for appointment to the regional district since it is a plum appointment that pays quite a lot for doing what appears to be very little.

[quote=“Speakuppr”]

You are being much to kind when you refer to the emperor’s actions as pathetic. [/quote]

The dispute between the Mayor and a community volunteer and elder is pathetic. If Director Mussallem intends to seek Ms Martin’s removal from the committee he will require the support of directors that don’t even live in Rupert. That is also pathetic.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“Speakuppr”]

You are being much to kind when you refer to the emperor’s actions as pathetic. [/quote]

The dispute between the Mayor and a community volunteer and elder is pathetic. If Director Mussallem intends to seek Ms Martin’s removal from the committee he will require the support of directors that don’t even live in Rupert. That is also pathetic.[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more even though other terms also come readily to mind such as disgusting, abusive, small minded not to mention bully. In any event, your recollection of history is correct, the Emperor did indeed work for Mr. Howie during Mr. Lester’s term in office.

Is it possible for this present city organization to learn and improve? A couple of councilors are attempting to address civic issues concerning secretive decision-making but this is really just the tip of the iceberg. The leadership and the administrative officers are products of a by-gone era and show little interest or ability to change. None have completed much beyond rudimentary training to understand how the world operates. Not always absolutely necessary, but in this case sadly obvious. Defeatist attitude? I think so. Realistic? I think so.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“Bettyboop86”]…

From what I recall the recycling centre was estabished as a regional district function when Mayor Lester was the chair, his idea being that Rupert taxpayers put so much money into the regional district that they should get something back in services. The relevant bylaw probably dates back to that era. I doubt that Director Mussallem introduced it.

I believe that Mr Mussallem was city clerk under Mr Howie during Mayor Lester’s tenure. That postion seems to have been replaced by corporate administrator since the Community Charter was introduced. I would not read too much into that history.

As for the regional district, I think that councillor Ashley would be a more effective city representative, because she can be outspoken, and (though some would no doubt disagree) councillor Gordon-Payne, because she pays attention to finances, and the regional district is a significant cost to city taxpayers that too little attention is paid to. There seems to be an informal pecking order within city council, though, for appointment to the regional district since it is a plum appointment that pays quite a lot for doing what appears to be very little.

The dispute between the Mayor and a community volunteer and elder is pathetic. If Director Mussallem intends to seek Ms Martin’s removal from the committee he will require the support of directors that don’t even live in Rupert. That is also pathetic.[/quote]

Thank you BTravenn for the clarity. As for your suggestions for reps on the SQCRD, councilor Ashley is a good choice, however; councilor Gordon-Payne maybe conflict of interest as she is the Administrator of the PRRH and there are meetings regarding to health issues and concerns in our area.

My friend said that Jean Martin has a copy of the financial expenditures for the directors and they are high, for one director, over $12,000 for expenses. Yes I understand traveling is expensive here but with teleconference calls and always hearing there has to be be cutbacks, perhaps the directors can look into that also. Perhaps the $24,000 Mrs. Jean Martin mentioned can be found if there is trimming from the top down, not the other way around. :smile:

Oops, sorry overlooked your other comment. Mr. Mussallem served under Mr. Gordie Howie and now it’s the other way. Guess we will see very little positive changes as history has shown under both their leadership. Just increase in wages and expenses from previous days, guess increasing taxes would balance that out.

I’ve heard that objection, but it’s doesn’t withstand scrutiny. There is nothing to prevent the city council from appointing a fiscal conservative like councillor Gordon-Payne to the regional district board, which as you point out has high administrative costs, disproportionately funded by Prince Rupert taxpayers.

The regional district board does not govern hospital issues. That is the function of a separate body, the regional hospital board. The probable source of confusion is that regional district directors are also hospital board directors (Hospital Board Act s8).

However, the city can appoint any council member to the regional district board (they serve “at pleasure”) and can appoint alternates (Local Government Act sections 784, 786). There is nothing to prevent the city council from appointing councillor Gordon-Payne as a director on the regional district board and another councillor as an alternate for hospital board purposes.

[quote=“Bettyboop86”]

My friend said that Jean Martin has a copy of the financial expenditures for the directors and they are high, for one director, over $12,000 for expenses … Perhaps the $24,000 Mrs. Jean Martin mentioned can be found if there is trimming from the top down, not the other way around. :smile:[/quote]

There seem to be many issues, including generous honouraria, eg the Mayor of Charlotte gets more as a regional director than her municipality pays her to be mayor. Some regional directors apparently have health plans funded by the regional district that their island municipalities will not pay for. Too little attention is given to what the regional district costs Prince Rupert taxpayers.

Is it?

Webcam, laptop, blogtv account.

But yes, I’d love to see what is happening up in Rupert.

The city has its website back up but still no updates on council activities.

Most recent agenda posted is for October 25, last report on the minutes of their meetings was October 12.

No explanations anywhere to explain why there are gaps.

Not really transparent and sure is hard to be held accountable if your work is not available for review folks.

I agree !! ,many of us cant be in front of the TV Mon eves. I certainly would like the option of watching on line at my leisure .Especially when decisions are made with regards to CN and Graham ave. How did this group of people manage to get the city and the Port Auth To agree to shut down the rail yard ,due to noise. I personally Cant believe that the city and the Port succumbed to the lobby group of which I believe were a very small group from Graham Ave.Haven t we seen and experienced enough of a hardship in this town ,are we so self serving that we would put our personal agenda over the good of the city.I have been to many cities, there are airports , there are trains sirens day and night!! What are you doing!!! We need to be welcoming to industry and any bus. that wants to come here!!I dont know but it smells like sour grapes to me !!!Someone has too much time on tier hands!!

Nothing like that has happened or will happen…

[quote=“eccentric”]

Nothing like that has happened or will happen…[/quote]

… until someone gets run over by a train. /slightly off topic*

In answer to your question, that would because they descended on City Hall in their spaceships and used their gold plated straws to suck all will to resist from Jacko and Gordo’s brains. (Admittedly they had difficulty finding their targets but ultimately they were successful)

[quote=“petra”]
Haven t we seen and experienced enough of a hardship in this town ,are we so self serving that we would put our personal agenda over the good of the city.I have been to many cities, there are airports , there are trains sirens day and night!! What are you doing!!! [/quote]

Since you’re talking about self serving… I’ll assume you are directing this question to Gordo and the rest of the management group at City Hall and City West .

[quote=“petra”]
We need to be welcoming to industry and any bus. that wants to come here!!I dont know but it smells like sour grapes to me !!!Someone has too much time on tier hands!![/quote]

Ok I understand that both Vancouver and Victoria are seeking new dump sites, maybe we should push to become Cache Creek north?

But seriously … I’m shocked you would say there was a backroom deal in our fair village… If you have some information on a conspiracy being perpetuated under our noses please do share the details …