Straw poll December 2010

In answer to a thought on the Cruise ship leaving town posts.

A straw poll of electoral intention for 2011, we’ll call the poll at an end on Friday night.

is Dr. Kennedy interested in a return to civic politics?

#2 Strictly on the premise that nobody talked about Prince Rupert like Pond did. Everywhere he went, irregardless of our shattered, beaten and bruised industry he touted our rainy Prince Rupert as he saw it - the same way all the people that stay in Prince Rupert see it.

Yeah maybe bring him back in time to clean up his dock and the cable company…

Speakuppr, Prince Rupert as a community only has two options.

We either grow or we deteriorate. Clearly the only real choice is to grow.

Is it disappointing that we’re looking at less activity at our cruise ship dock–yes. But how many cruise ships would visit Prince Rupert had the dock never been build? Zero. How many ships would even take a moment to consider Prince Rupert as one of their stops? Zero. If we don’t extend our hand to the rest of the world and let them know we’re here, we’ll always be overlooked and our already dwindling community will disappear.

Growth takes patience–it takes trial and error. We’ll learn from our mistakes.

Everyone should remember PR is nothing more than a customs stop…Jones act cruise ships,same as it was in the 70s,the ships quit coming when Vancouver finally clued in.As for the dock,building a single use facility was stupid.So much for “Build it and they will come”

Nice to see Jacko has secretly logged on to vote for himself :wink:

I agree, at this point Herb Pond or Don Scott would be my choice. Both were MUCH better advocates for the city than Mussallem, who has 100% tarnished his legacy as mayor with this recent term.

Anna Ashley, for mayor? Are you kidding me…no offense to her, but I do not feel that she is even remotely qualified for mayor, I liker her MUCH better as a councillor. I am shocked she is doing so well in the poll.

NONE of the current councillors would make good mayors, that are all almost as bad as Jacko.

I really hope almost all of them are kicked out of office during the next election. We need new blood.

It says write in a name which I could not do but I say Ted from Breakers .

I wish Dr. Kennedy would run. That’s who I’d vote for.

bump

After all of the Pond draining (hah, get it?) that was done on this forum during his reign, I’m VERY suprised he’s doing so well. I would never vote him in again. Whoopie ding dong, he blabbed alot about our town. What good did that do us in the end? The cruise ships have pulled out of our docks probably permanently. Infastructure was NEVER made much of a priority at all. Unless you count anywhere near Cow Bay and the cruise ship docks. And what did our “awesome” mayor do during that bout of vandalism? Windows being smashed, for no reason. We weren’t any where better off when Pond was in office. At least, I don’t think we were anyways.

Just proves how quickly people forget the negative, of an old leader, when they’re focused on attacking another…

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]After all of the Pond draining (hah, get it?) that was done on this forum during his reign, I’m VERY suprised he’s doing so well. I would never vote him in again. Whoopie ding dong, he blabbed alot about our town. What good did that do us in the end? The cruise ships have pulled out of our docks probably permanently. Infastructure was NEVER made much of a priority at all. Unless you count anywhere near Cow Bay and the cruise ship docks. And what did our “awesome” mayor do during that bout of vandalism? Windows being smashed, for no reason. We weren’t any where better off when Pond was in office. At least, I don’t think we were anyways.

Just proves how quickly people forget the negative, of an old leader, when they’re focused on attacking another…[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more …Amen!!!

[quote=“eccentric”]Speakuppr, Prince Rupert as a community only has two options.
Is it disappointing that we’re looking at less activity at our cruise ship dock–yes. But how many cruise ships would visit Prince Rupert had the dock never been build? Zero. How many ships would even take a moment to consider Prince Rupert as one of their stops? Zero. If we don’t extend our hand to the rest of the world and let them know we’re here, we’ll always be overlooked and our already dwindling community will disappear.
Growth takes patience–it takes trial and error. We’ll learn from our mistakes.[/quote]

So you think both the cruise ship terminal and buying a cable company were sound financial decisions for a cash strapped municipality instead of trimming a bloated bureaucracy and cutting taxes to attract business?

Apparently this poll is showing that Rupert doesn’t learn from it’s mistakes if Pond is truly leading this poll.

mid day bump

Dinner time bump

[quote=“Speakuppr”]

[quote=“eccentric”]Speakuppr, Prince Rupert as a community only has two options.
Is it disappointing that we’re looking at less activity at our cruise ship dock–yes. But how many cruise ships would visit Prince Rupert had the dock never been build? Zero. How many ships would even take a moment to consider[/quote]

Prince Rupert as one of their stops? Zero. If we don’t extend our hand to the rest of the world and let them know we’re here, we’ll always be overlooked and our already dwindling community will disappear.
So you think both the cruise ship terminal and buying a cable company were sound financial decisions for a cash strapped municipality instead of trimming a bloated bureaucracy and cutting taxes to attract business?

Apparently this poll is showing that Rupert doesn’t learn from it’s mistakes if Pond is truly leading this poll.[/quote]

While I’ll agree with you on the cable tv purchase which was a poor business decision in my mind as well as the need to trim some of the bureaucracy both things he would have to explain to would be voters, can’t say as you can hang him for the way the cruise industry has blown up here.

Perhaps if he had still been Mayor, Mr. Pond would have been able to get council, the economic development office and the tourism department to all keep their eye on the shiny toy. As it is all three of the above and the current Mayor for that matter, for whatever reason didn’t really do very much to build the industry up once it arrived.

I’m not so sure that building the cruise ship terminal was a mistake, but certainly what we did after (and in the years that Mr. Pond was no longer in office) certainly didn’t do much to attract more or keep what we had.

[quote=“Smurfette”]

Prince Rupert as one of their stops? Zero. If we don’t extend our hand to the rest of the world and let them know we’re here, we’ll always be overlooked and our already dwindling community will disappear.

Apparently this poll is showing that Rupert doesn’t learn from it’s mistakes if Pond is truly leading this poll.

While I’ll agree with you on the cable tv purchase which was a poor business decision in my mind as well as the need to trim some of the bureaucracy both things he would have to explain to would be voters, can’t say as you can hang him for the way the cruise industry has blown up here.

Perhaps if he had still been Mayor, Mr. Pond would have been able to get council, the economic development office and the tourism department to all keep their eye on the shiny toy. As it is all three of the above and the current Mayor for that matter, for whatever reason didn’t really do very much to build the industry up once it arrived.

I’m not so sure that building the cruise ship terminal was a mistake, but certainly what we did after (and in the years that Mr. Pond was no longer in office) certainly didn’t do much to attract more or keep what we had.[/quote]

Hmmm, was the cruise ship dock a good investment? Well, let’s run some numbers: based on news articles around when it opened in 2004, the city’s committment in terms of investment was around $3.5 million, which included waterfront civic works projects which are benefitting more than just cruise ships and their guests, so really that’s $3.5 million for more than just the ships. Skip to 2010 and the port’s website, and we see a press release where they’ve announced the arrival of 500,000 guests midway through 2010 (so closer to 525,000 by the end of 2010, which will be just shy of 600,000 by the end of 2011)… let’s take a look from the port authority website to see what estimated benefits were…oh, it’s in the press release… and we see from a 3rd party economic impact study that based on these nubmers close to $40 million dollars has been injected into the local economy. If I were the city, and saw a $3.5 million dollar investment resulted in economic activity of $40 million THUS FAR, not only would I consider it a wise investment but I would do everything that I could to retain that business.