Strangest thing happened to me today

I don’t mean to say that she got what she deserved for being a “concerned citizen”, and I’m not ignoring the fact that the dog has issues with strangers that need to be addressed, but the fact remains that the dog wasn’t in their front yard attacking children at random.  There is obviously a reason that the dog is not outusde.

It’s kind of like a situation a friend of mine was involved in…a potential burglar was in their un-fenced back yard and he stepped in a hole that was dug and he broke his leg.  He sued my friend and ended up getting paid off.  Retarded, because the only reason he was there in the first place was to do harm to the house, and or the people inside.

The reason for being at the front door is as irrelevant as the reason the burglar was in the back yard.  Damage was done to both people approaching the respective houses, and in reality, neither person had a solid reason to be there.

Like I said before, this is the devil’s advocate coming out.  I appreciate the fact that you were doing a good deed, and if I had left my bike outside I would love the fact that someone did that, but in no way would I expect it to happen.  Just the times we live in I guess.

I could have taken the matter to court.  The cop said so himself.  But I won’t, 'cause that’s crazy.  So, think what you want of me, but I KNOW I didn’t do anything wrong. :unamused:

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think anything bad or good of you because of what you did here.  I think your intentions were good, but in this day and age, and with the way things are getting in this town with people getting beat up at random on a regualr basis, I think you put yourself in a situation you really didn’t need to be in regardless if it was the right thing to do or not.  I’m happy you weren’t hurt any more than you were, and hopefully everything things work out.

Did the bike end up getting back to the rightful owner?

I still want to know the address.  There are posties that visit this site.  Would be a good heads up for them also.

I don’t know if it did or not.  It’s in the RCMP’s hands now.

No, I’m not posting the address.  That’s a pretty asinine suggestion.

Yes, because there is no way this town is small enough for anyone to figure that out for themselves.

Hmmmm…I dont think its anymnore assinine than you pounding on strangers doors over the suspicion of stolen property.
Fair enough princess…but I think your not performing due diligence by not alerting the good citizens of this town as to where attacking dogs live is against what you did yesterday.
Yesterday you were thinking about stolen bikes…it happens… no one gets hurt other than in the pocketbook.
People getting attacked by canines is disturbing no matter where it happens, invited or not.  From what I understand you did nothing to provoke tha attack…think of mailpersons…church door bangers…bottle drive participants and girl guides…

I was thinking of all those people.  That’s why I REPORTED it. 

I’ve always been curious about the consequences of someone’s reaction to a dog biting incident.  I mean, hypothetically speaking, if someone is in a situation such as the one Princess was in and the dog is biting the leg,  what could the person do?  Could you, if you could, kick the dog?  If that happens, would you be in trouble if the dog got an injury?
Could you choke the animal if you could get a good grip on it?  Would the owner or the SPCA come back to you with a cruelty to animal complaint?
Just curious.

I’d imagine it’d be viewed as self defense. 

I’ve always wondered that too.

I love dogs, I’d rather not kick them, or have to hurt them in any way.

Exactly.  Or what if a letter carrier needs to come to the house to deliver mail?  The dog owner has done a poor job training the animal or perhaps the animal may be naturally aggressive.  It is the responsibility of the owner to prevent his/her animal from attacking people.

I think Princess performed her duty by alerting the Police about the bike and the dog attack. If they feel the community should be aware of this house where a dangerous dog lives, the responsibility lays in their hands now, not Princess’.
I really hope the owner of the bike gets it back…I have had 2 Norcos stolen in the past decade, so it is nice to hear that there are some people out there still that have a coincious and care. :smile:

Well lets hope it not a small child or a baby next time eh?  To bad you won’t post the address,  at least a section of town to aware of.

You come to my house and you kick my dog?

In this instance, no, I wouldn’t have called the police.  The dogs were doing what all dogs do instinctively, protect their territory.  Lap dogs are the worst if you knock at the door.  I’m sure if there were stats kept there would be more chihuahua attacks at the front door of a house then there are by larger breeds.

I have two issues with what happened.

1.  The reason for going to the door in the first place.  If someone came to my door everytime my kids left their bikes in the yard I would have to hire a full-time doorman.

1. What ever happened to just being good neighbours?  Why do the RCMP have to be called for everything?  It is unfortunate that POP was bitten but really, the dogs owners had the dogs secured until an unexpected ring of the doorbell.  There was no ill-intent on their part.  Are we a society that has to call the law enforcers for every damned thing?  If I read the initial post correctly, the dog owners showed remorse for what happened.  Why not give them a chance to correct it before calling the RCMP? 

I applaud POP for her intentions and regret that she had this encounter but I also think that it sucks that she called the police on these people.

Dude…I’m happy that the dog owner was unhappy about all of this stuff.  Hey, I’ll call the cops if I get bit by a pooch.

I would too.
There is no remedy to a dog that has bitten more than once. There is no remedy to an agressive dog, aside from a good owner, who knows what he/she is doing. And the dog would have been trained by now if said owner was respectable. You can’t really blame the dog at all. Sadly, the dog is the one that takes the fall for the crappy owner. Who goes out, after said dog is put down for agression and buys another dog to mistreat. Yes I said mistreat. That’s what it is in my eyes.

If your dog even nips at you, that is your responsibility as a pet owner to remedy the situation. That’s agression, and agression is not good in any form. Yes I realise dog’s have instincts, but a properly trained one, will not resort to instinct so often.

Princess was absolutely right to call the police, or the pound, or whomever about that dog. If it has attacked before, and shows agression like that when someone comes to the door, imagine what would happen if a little child was walking through his yard. And you think she was wrong in calling police?? Doesn’t matter if the owner expresses remorse, have they done anything since the first incident? No. Then they truly don’t give a damn.

If they really wanted it adressed, it would be, plain and simple.

Just to clarify, the RCMP will not be showing up to their door in regards to the dog at all.

It will be the by-law officers going to their door.  The RCMP are just making the call to the by-law officers for me.  I could have made two separate phone calls, but the RCMP were nice enough to just take care of it for me.

And to everyone who says it’s my fault for knocking on the door…

What if I was a flower delivery person? or a JW?  Or whatever.  It doesn’t matter what my intentions were; I was unfairly attacked.  BTW, this was also a duplex, so if someone who goes to visit the neighbour, and walks through the dog’s property to get there is asking to get attacked?  I don’t think so!