Steve Nash wins NBA M.V.P

Just heard on TSN that Steve Nash, born in Victoria BC, has just been named the NBA’s Most Valuable Player for this season. Pretty cool for an average height (related to the NBA players that is) white Canadian guy. Pretty cool.

First non-American to win it. He is not a high scorer either.

But he does have sweet hair…

Stan, Corrupt, I hate to break it to you, but you guys are slightly missinformed. First, while Nash did grow up in Victoria, he was born in Johannesburg, South Africa where his father was a soccer star. His family relocated to Canada when Steve was two.

Second, Nash is not the first non-american player to be named NBA MVP. Hakeem Olajuwon was the first non-american player to win the MVP. However, Nash is the first Canadian to win.

Either way, it’s still a big accomplishment. Especially considering that the only individual stat that he dominated was assists. When it comes to every other major statistic, Steve’s numbers are very ordinary. It’s nice to see that the voters got it right and gave the MVP award to the player that truely was the most valuable. Too often, MVP awards are blindly given to the most dominant or outstanding player.

But you get the idea. He was RAISED in Victoria. Is that better? I don’t know his entire life story, I’m sorry. Steve hasn’t written me in quite some time. They didn’t keep talking about it on TSN because he was the first SOUTH AFRICAN to win it. I just think it’s cool that a CANADIAN won the MVP in an extremely Americanized game…even though it was invented by a Canadian, but let’s not get into that.

I did know about Olajuwon too, by the way

[quote=“stanley19”]But you get the idea. He was RAISED in Victoria. Is that better? I don’t know his entire life story, I’m sorry. Steve hasn’t written me in quite some time. They didn’t keep talking about it on TSN because he was the first SOUTH AFRICAN to win it. I just think it’s cool that a CANADIAN won the MVP in an extremely Americanized game…even though it was invented by a Canadian, but let’s not get into that.

I did know about Olajuwon too, by the way[/quote]

The Olajuwon comment wasn’t directed at you Stan.

And I’m with you on the coolness of a Canadian coming out on top for an award in an extremely Americanized game, where a major majority of the voters were American.

But these players are often the true MVP anyway.
I don’t follow basketball except for the odd sports news. I think that what I’ve seen of Nash would make me want to watch more of the game because he seems to be the first one in a long time to make the passing more exciting than the actual scoring.

It’s May the 8th. I’m thinking about taking down my Christmas lights.

Yes, sometimes the most valuable player and the most dominant/outstanding player are one and the same. However, sometimes they are not. Often a player’s value to his team cannot be measured in how many more points/goals/runs/etc they have than everyone else. As in Nash’s case, it’s not so much his stats that won him the MVP, but more the stats of the players around him. More often than not, intangibles like that aren’t recognized when it comes time to hand out awards.

Yeah, you’re right. It doesn’t happen too often.
Plus you used a big word:

That always wins the argument.

Interesting, CTV Newsnet told me otherwise. I am not saying your wrong but thats interesting.

Christmas is only 7 months away. DON’T DO IT! People usually have a month or two window to take down their lights. I haven’t taken mine down in 2 years. Unless they are icicle lights, then in that case do everyone a favour and RIP THEM DOWN.

[quote=“stanley19”]

Christmas is only 7 months away. DON’T DO IT! People usually have a month or two window to take down their lights. I haven’t taken mine down in 2 years. Unless they are icicle lights, then in that case do everyone a favour and RIP THEM DOWN.[/quote]

Aww but they make such great wind chimes on vinyl siding!

I stapled mine up, and I’m not sure if I’m supposed to at my apartment. But one of the two strings ripped down in a windstorm, but they are daisy-chained together, so it’s just a-flappin’.