Starting an SQL db

I installed the php_classifieds script in a folder in the www/html of my new Mandrake box…
I began the install and the second step requires a SQL database on the server. So I used webmin and setup a database for my username, with the name ‘trader’ , stopped & restarted the service.

Then i proceeded with the phpclassified install and when it asked for localhost, my name & passwd, db name, I get a can’t connect to db error.
Does any idea what I did wrong?

The name and passwd are already a wheel user on the system. is there another permission level to set or something?
:confused:

I’m not familiear with webmin but if you look for the error log of mysql and look at it you might find more detail.

My error log file is:

/var/mysql/my.server.name.err

Depends on where mysql logs to though on your system. Check /var/logs maybe?

Cant connect to DB might be that the username/pass you supplied are wrong. Is mysql even running? Check the status of it.

I run one simple database here w/mysql and its been very painless. It just runs and runs.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]I installed the php_classifieds script in a folder in the www/html of my new Mandrake box…
I began the install and the second step requires a SQL database on the server. So I used webmin and setup a database for my username, with the name ‘trader’ , stopped & restarted the service.

Then i proceeded with the phpclassified install and when it asked for localhost, my name & passwd, db name, I get a can’t connect to db error.
Does any idea what I did wrong?

The name and passwd are already a wheel user on the system. is there another permission level to set or something?
:confused:[/quote]

you have ot grant permissions to that user for that database

so i found out

mysql>grant create,insert,update,select,delete on your_db_name.* to your_usr_name;

etc.

Again the terminal outshines webmin. I’ve got to learn more about linux,php, and mysql. Any idea how? No schools/usergoups around here…

tldp.org