StarChoice

Anyone here in Rupert ever install a StarChoice dish before?

I am in the process of attempting to, and I am in over my head. Easy $20 for anyone who can get me set up right.

It is a 76cm dish, and I am pretty sure that my balcony faces the right direction (towards the mountains).

If anyone is interested, please drop a reply here. I’m looking to get up and running ASAP.

I already have the dish and mounting bracket assembled (correctly, I hope).

oh man, it’s so easy. Start by getting a compass and and mounting the dish to something solid in the correct general direction. Those little signal meters help (like an inline battery tester thing witht e needle that goes upa nd down)… anyway… Turn your dish on and put it to the setup channel… or any channel if it’s already activated and then open up the signal strength menu. MOve the dish up and down and side to side until you get any sort of signal. I literally clmb up on a chair and give it a good yank down every month or so to get the signal strength up a bit… within something liek 2 degrees is pretty good.

Shouldnt’ take you more than an hour, otherwise you need to take that banana out of your ass… weirdo.

hey hey hey be nice it is not a bannana it is a cucumber : O ) a extra HUGE ONE!@!!

see zucchini pic… :smiling_imp:

Are there any sort of cool counterbalanced mounting options? Or am I just going to have to call my landlord and ask if I can drill holes in shit?

With the weather around here… you want to mount that thing to something solid. If your landlord gives you a hard time, tell him that you won’t have to remove it if/when you move out. Starchoice has a thing where if you move, they want you to leave the dish behind and they pay for you to get a new one installed at your next location. You just take the reciever with you. The landlord can use it as a feature for the next tennant.

Although a signal meter is handy, you can definately do it with a compass. The instruction book has the compass directions. The fine tuning is the tough part usually. For that you generally should have someone help you who can stand by the TV and shout out if the strength is better or worse. Sometimes even the slightest adjustment can mean a boost or loss in signal.

Mike

Is there any way you can check for the quality of your signal without a subscription? Like, once I have dish set up, can I tune in to a test pattern or something to check the clarity?

i don’t think you need to do that, setup tells you the strength of the signal with a rating between 0-100

True…!

Yeah you use the signal strength meter in the setup to get everything going, then you phone Starchoice to get yourself activated. All of this is in the dish installation instructions. If you don’t have them I’m sure they must be on the *C site.

Mike

So I’ve actually got my dish mounted now, but I can’t get a reading from a satellite.

I called StarChoice, and since my signal strength is reading “19” (out of 100), he said that means that my equipment is working, it’s just not getting a signal. The signal is steady 19 no matter what I do with the dish.

He said that I just need to find the satellite now. But I’m having a real hard time doing it… got my compass and all, but this shit is raping me.

$20 offer still stands for someone who can get my dish aligned with the satellite (I’ve already mounted it and everything).

mounted what?

[quote=“Eso”]So I’ve actually got my dish mounted now, but I can’t get a reading from a satellite.

I called StarChoice, and since my signal strength is reading “19” (out of 100), he said that means that my equipment is working, it’s just not getting a signal. [/quote]

Dish, satellite, StarChoice. I don’t know?