SQCRD Trail Proposal

I actually suspect that someone at the Rod and Gun Club taught BakerWriter the difference between up-range and down-range before allowing him to shoot. Perhaps the significance didn’t sink in.

The only perception that ultimately matters here is that of the CFO (Chief Firearms Officer) for the Province. He has the power to shut the range down and has, apparently, already been asked to come and evaluate by the SQRCD.

It would be naive to think that this proposed trail would not pose a threat or risk to the continued existence of the Rod and Gun Club in it’s present location.

Why would we take that gamble when we could simply choose a more appropriate route for a trail?  

No, no one taught me the difference, so if you can explain it, cool. I don’t purport to be an expert whatsoever. Perhaps it makes a difference. 

All I’m saying is you can respond by saying “we’ve been able to shoot here for years without incident with the highway, so why would a bike trail, out of range, make a difference?” If the CFO responds to that by saying “noooo… we’re shutting you down” then it appears there is already a pre-conceived bias to doing so. If that’s the case, that’s a problem.

We hear a lot about how this proposed bike trail will not be used much. What I would be interested to know is how many bike riders are there in PR vs. how many  range users there are? If one number significantly outweighs the other, then it is apparent that the RD should move in the best interests of the community, which is rarely a stagnant entity.

Hey, I’m empathetic to the range users plight. It’s an established facility, which I’ve always believed has weight. But from a guy that doesn’t own a gun or a bike, this issue to me is of interest  purely from an intrigue P.O.V.

[quote=“TwoAlpha”]
I actually suspect that someone at the Rod and Gun Club taught BakerWriter the difference between up-range and down-range before allowing him to shoot. Perhaps the significance didn’t sink in.[/quote]

The difference between up- and down-range was taught to me by a Sergeant-Major’s boot.  Ouch.

The idea is that everything behind the firing line is safe, since you never aim a firearm in any direction except downrange.  Everything past the firing line is not safe, since that’s the direction in which all the firearms are aimed.

There’s a reason all the ranges at the Gun Club are pointed in the same direction.

Your argument would fly, Bakerwriter, if the ranges were aimed in the direction of the highway.  They’re not. 

Also, Bakerwriter, I don’t think it’s fair to put bike riders against range users (there are many who are both, by the way).  It’s not a zero-sum game.  You can have your cake and eat it too, simply by putting the trail elsewhere.

[quote=“BakerWriter”]
No, no one taught me the difference, so if you can explain it, cool. I don’t purport to be an expert whatsoever. Perhaps it makes a difference. [/quote]

Basically…

Downrange = Where the targets are.
Uprange = Where the spectators are.

See the difference now? :smile:

Seriously though, it’s difficult to absorb all the information coming at you when you’re learning to shoot for the first time. Whoever your instructor was, they would/should have been making sure that you were pointing the firearm downrange at all times when you were shooting.

I think that there are more important reasons to base this decision on, however I would expect the number of range users would compare very favorably to the number of bike riders using the trail, wherever it is finally located.

What are your thoughts on the financial aspects of the local RCMP having to do their firearms training/qualifying in Terrace, or elsewhere, if our local range closes? Can you estimate the actual number of dollars involved here?

What are your thoughts on hunters sighting in, before hunting season, somewhere in the bush around Prince Rupert if our local range closes?

I would like to add a couple of more points here for clarification.
Down range at our club here is away from the hwy. towards the water, which is where one of the new proposed trails could be located, between the range and wainright / morse basins. The new trail, since it has not yet been built could easily be relocated to the other side of the hwy and be routed through the beatiful alpine meadows near Oliver lake, etc. and more or less parallel the existing hwy.and be safe and no where near the existing range. And also a more direct route towards Port Ed, as I beleive this was one of the goals of the new trail?

If it is decided to build the trail in the presently proposed location and threaten and close our long established range, the Rod and gun club would not likely fold as previously mentioned in this thread, as there are far too many outdoor enthusiasts locally and we have quite a large membership. It is also possible to lobby and apply for another location for the gun range although this would be very time consuming and expensive. One thing that comes to mind for an alternate location for a gun range is an old rock or gravel quarry, the likes of which there are several around. One right at the junction of Hwy #16 and the Ridley Island Access road, another one along hwy 16 near Kloiya bay ( the one the RCMP used to use) another near Prudhomme lake.

However, the simplest, most cost effective and practical solution that would serve everyone’s best interests is too simply move the location of the proposed trail and keep everyone happy. But this would be too easy, right?

That would be a nice route for the trail chaos…They could possibly extend it to run along near the Secret Garden and I believe there is a trail to the forts, but not sure as I haven’t been in Rupert long enough to know of the older trails.  I used to walk to the forts via the superport along the tracks. But you are right that would be too easy a solution and just think, we wouldn’t be “opinion-izing” to this extent if that were the case… :smiley:

[quote=“TwoAlpha”]
Basically…

Downrange = Where the targets are.
Uprange = Where the spectators are.

See the difference now? :smile:[/quote]

Thanks to all who pointed this out  :wink: Now I know what they meant when I tried to point in every which way, I was kept to the “downrange” by some very responsible people.

That would probably suck, not the least because these fine officers would be forced to head to Terrace, the place that culture forgot. I have no idea how much it would cost and whether or not there would be travel costs attached and range use as well. If there is, then clearly this is bad.

Like I have tried to explain, I’m only intrigued by the issue and have absolutely no emotions whatsoever attached to what happens.

Probably not a good idea for hunters to be walking into Johnny B’s with a loaded gun at 11 p.m. on a Friday night.  :sunglasses:

How close would the proposed trail be to the end of the firin range? How far can a bullet really go through a forest before it finds itself a tree trunk to love in?

Depending how far the trail is going to be, I’m with Baker on this–seems just as likely that an irresponsible club member could misfire and hit someone at Oliver versus a bullet finding it’s way through the trees and hitting a moving cyclist on the trail.

A cyclig trail in that area, even if not that exact area, will be fantastic either way. It might encourge people to cycle and also reduce the amount of people riding their bikes on Butze. 

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Seriously, did you not even read the posts above? 

Yup, every one. So again, how close is this trail supposed to be that there’s actually a perception of danger?

Apparently you didn’t read every single one.  

And again, how close is the shoreline to the range? We’re talking waterfront, yea? Isn’t that still quite a ways through forested terrain, even if it’s in range of the bullets, or i’d it all cleared because of the firing range??

Look on Google Earth,you can see how far the water is from the range.A dumb idea to say the least,but would you expect any different?

Ah too bad. Hopefully something can be worked out. It’s a great concept, but not at the expense of the Rod and Gun Club.

[quote=“eccentric”]
And again, how close is the shoreline to the range? [/quote]

Here’s an idea.

How about you go to the waterfront and walk towards the firing range. If nobody shoots you - you can then report to us on how far away it is.

That’s funny… :smiley: