Spyware on mac?

Is there such thing as spyware on osx or 0s 9.x ? if they use explorer or any other browser ? I just want to prove to some one…

Try this if it helps.

http://www.download.com/0S-Non-Proxy-Atomic-Sync/3110-20_4-0.html

Nope

[quote=“Dave”]

Nope[/quote]

Got any proof… it’s not for me…

[quote=“jleaman”]

Got any proof… it’s not for me…[/quote]

Just my own experience. I have a mac and I don’t use a virus scan and I’ve never used a spyware scan. The mac runs just like the day I unpacked it. (If I did have spyware on this machine it would likely be slower and not as friendly.)

Hey i agree with you… i just want proof… :smiley: and also i let my friend use my mac for a week let him surf any thing port viruses downloads you name it… i went to use it and not one problem.

The guy im arguing with says that if activx is installed and used on a webpage it will be still screwed… i laughed at him.

Jason,

Activex is a security hazard and if it is on I would suggest turning it off, also just because there is no spyware for mac at this moment doesnt mean there wont be ever so dont get too cocky :wink: No software is perfect no matter what you think humans are flawed and so are their creations. Thats my rant, also no I dont think I am immune to viruses because i run linux however I am well protected because my user account has basically no privileges outside of my home directory. Is the default mac setup to run as root/administrator? if so I sure hope you arnt.

The first thing i do when i get a mac is turn on and enable the root on mac : O ) i hate not having super power’s… speaking of power my new dual g4 866 box should be here in a few days :open_mouth: )

FUCKING GENIUS… :unamused: I know there is some equivillent of su for mac… so clearly you are being retarded.

Yup, I’ve never used a root account, simply because I can use su or sudo when necessary. Mac OS X is BSD unix, afterall. You wouldn’t use root for everyday use on a unix box, so why would you on a Mac?

No ActiveX on the Mac, eh.

[quote=“MiG”]Yup, I’ve never used a root account, simply because I can use su or sudo when necessary. Mac OS X is BSD unix, afterall. You wouldn’t use root for everyday use on a unix box, so why would you on a Mac?

No ActiveX on the Mac, eh.[/quote]

Because you are jason and your mac is invincible? I run as root on my servers when i have 10+ root commands to do thats about it :wink: on of the main reasons *nix’s are so secure is the fact they have certain default levels of security. Jason you really need to correct your habbits they will catch up to you. If a piece of software infects my laptop guess what i ahve to do
move my personal data clean viruses delete my old account recreate it and its done. If you happen to run across something malicious say goodbye to your computer. Also if you want to make it past being a tech it would be a good thing to break these habbits, setup a network of windows boxes one day run them all as administrators say 200 for an office see what breaks lose.

Do you at least apply security patches?

Mig,

Any comment on this ?

signonsandiego.com/uniontrib … b4mac.html

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“MiG”]Yup, I’ve never used a root account, simply because I can use su or sudo when necessary. Mac OS X is BSD unix, afterall. You wouldn’t use root for everyday use on a unix box, so why would you on a Mac?

No ActiveX on the Mac, eh.[/quote]

Because you are jason and your mac is invincible? I run as root on my servers when i have 10+ root commands to do thats about it :wink: on of the main reasons *nix’s are so secure is the fact they have certain default levels of security. Jason you really need to correct your habbits they will catch up to you. If a piece of software infects my laptop guess what i ahve to do
move my personal data clean viruses delete my old account recreate it and its done. If you happen to run across something malicious say goodbye to your computer. Also if you want to make it past being a tech it would be a good thing to break these habbits, setup a network of windows boxes one day run them all as administrators say 200 for an office see what breaks lose.

Do you at least apply security patches?[/quote]

What are you talking about i have no problems with my mac what so ever… and I have a fw infront of it too. Mandrake SNF works great… havent been hacked yet. : O )

[quote=“jleaman”]

Do you at least apply security patches?

What are you talking about i have no problems with my mac what so ever… and I have a fw infront of it too. Mandrake SNF works great… havent been hacked yet. : O )[/quote]

Doesnt make it any less stupid. Firewalls do not protect you if they dont block the traffic. I would like to see your firewall rules as well I am willing to bet you are not as secure as you think you are :wink:

Seriously Jason, this is one of those times you may want to listen to me and about a million other people that say do not run windows as administrator do not run *nix as root. There is a reason on good operating systems this is not the default. People not running as root is also one of the big reasons there is no spyware for linux/mac. Well I guess myself and a million other people are just wrong? If I get spyware/virus on my laptop I will blame people like you!

“It seems this website would like to install a program on your Mac. Please enter your administrator password.”

Have you tried to change any critical files (make a program start on boot, for example) ? The first thing it asks is for your root password.

So no, there won’t be a critical virus or spyware on Mac OS X, because you can’t really change much without being prompted for the admin password.

iptables --flush
iptables --table nat --flush
iptables --delete-chain
iptables --table nat --delete-chain
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -i lo -p tcp --dport port -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -p tcp --dport port -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -p udp --dport port -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -p icmp --icmp-type 8 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -m recent --set --name ssh --rsource
iptables -A INPUT -m recent --rcheck --seconds 60 --hitcount 10 --name ssh --rsource -j DROP

My firewall rules incase you were wondering and yes thats on my webserver.

[quote=“MiG”]“It seems this website would like to install a program on your Mac. Please enter your administrator password.”

Have you tried to change any critical files (make a program start on boot, for example) ? The first thing it asks is for your root password.

So no, there won’t be a critical virus or spyware on Mac OS X, because you can’t really change much without being prompted for the admin password.[/quote]

Mig you should know there will be because along with every operating system there are people who are ignorant and disable these protections… not naming names

Pretty much the #1 reason not to use the root account.

That and rm -rf / file

Some poor guy at work had that happen… they went through and removed all data from his mysql db logfiles home directories web root… they went out of busness… i felt bad for them…

Try a security check yet? It will help to see what you might be vulnerable too.

For the MAC

Symantec Security Check is a free tool that will test your susceptability to security threats.

http://www.symantec.com/mac/security/

And try this site…

http://www.securemac.com/

One more…Ya might find your answers.

http://www.macintoshsecurity.com/