Special Thanks to the Pacific Coast Vets

I hope I may take this time to show my appreciation to Dr.Kennedy, Dr.Jamison, Megan, Melissa, Morgan and all the Staff at our vets. My beautiful 13 year old cat was diagnosed with cancer and had to be put down today. They allowed me my time with her and showed great compassion as I held her until she took her last breath with me. I don’t think I ever took the time to notice how this affects the Staff and I want to thank them for their kindness and their patience. Their hugs were greatly appreciated also.  Thank you for all you did for me and my girl and for all you do for our community on a daily basis.

aww so sorry Codybear about your kitty

Awwww!!!  :cry:
Hate when someone loves a little four legged buddy, I know this one well  :frowning:
I dunno what I’m gonna do when My brother/sister cats pass away…they are 16 yrs old and have had them since they were 5 wks.

I have to agree they were great when we had our pet put down, I understand why they explained every little step but honestly I was crying so hard I only heard half of it and was just wishing they would get it over with.

Watching my best friend die with dignity and the guilt afterwards was probably the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life.

Knowing it was the right decision didn’t make it any easier though and my heart goes out to you and anyone else who has or will ever have to go through this,

I totally agree with you Codybear and Flyman.  Having my dog put to sleep was made a lot more comforting the way Dr Kennedy did it.  I sat on the floor with my dog and cuddled her until she fell asleep and then Dr Kennedy came and ended her suffering.  Even writing this now fills my eyes with tears.

Glad to hear I wasn’t the only one crying on my keyboard as I recalled my own experiences. Thanks Illywhacker

Thank you flyman.  I am having terrible issues with the guilt today but know that is part of the grieving process but the what ifs are quite a barrier to moving through the day. I have been through this two other times and people say, why do you keep adopting animals then?  The unconditional love they give us, the joy, affection and the entertainment are only a few of the many reasons.  I would go through this again, and I will as I have another little one here, for the years that I have shared with all my “babies”.

codybear I agree, I have a couple of animals still and I am not looking forward to the day that I may have to do it again, but the years of enjoyment are more than enough to make it worth having an animal.

I spent a week trying to decide if I was doing the right thing and weeks more afterwards second guessing myself, but allowing an animal, a friend (her come the tears again) to suffer so that I could spare myself the guilt of making the decision was not the right decision.

I have come to terms with it now, and I know it was the right decision and I smile everytime I think about the good times or find an old picture, even if it’s just one with her in the background sleeping on her favorite chair.

Thank you everybody for your posts.  It is odd when you are in this position, you kind of feel like you are all alone but sadly and realistically I know I am not. I am sorry I have brought tears to your eyes though.  Here is my beautiful girl, in her favorite chair also.

No apologies necessary the walk down memory lane was worth every tear, It’s sort of sad how little time you spend thinking about them when they are gone unless something happens to kick your brain into that gear.

:cry: just reading
beautiful Cat Codybear! we should do a page of dedication’s of animals that we have all had to say “good bye my friend”

Codybear, I really do not know what to say to all this but I am so sorry to hear of your lose but yes you will have those memories. I was going to start off about my goldfish and I figured you do want to hear that, so then I thought of my mother. God Bless you and comfort you with your lose.

Well now a few of us have tears in our eyes, CodyBear I could not imagine me going through that and talking about it, but that is probably a good remedey. Thanks for allowing us to share with you.

Sorry for your loss codybear.

Made it through the day and want to thank everyone for their kind thoughts. For those of you who took the time to send messages, I am very grateful for your kind words and your stories of your pets touched my heart.  My house seems a little empty but my other little one is terrorizing me with her toys.  Life moves on.  Thanks again to you all !!

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together…

Author unknown…

Thank you for the beautiful words Munchkin.  I had seen that written on a plaque out at our Secret Gardens and had wondered where I could find a copy.  Very helpful today, rough day, had one of those well meaning friends who asked did I really have to take her life?  Thought I was coping relatively well until then so now pick myself up and dust myself off yet again.  Thank you.

What the hell kind of a person asks a question like that??

sigh

I think you did the right thing Codybear. At times, we have to put what we want aside, and look at what is best for our best friends. And although it might be hard to do, we should feel comfort in knowing they’re not in pain any longer.

I’m dreading having to do the same thing myself, but I couldn’t bear to know that I’m keeping my best friend in pain, just because I can’t bear to face the pain of losing him.

I admire your strength Codybear.

Thank you bubbasteve but I don’t feel very strong today.  If it seemed she was in pain at the end, it would have maybe been easier to cope but her only symptom was weight and appetite loss.  When I went in that final day, she tried to crawl into my coat and she was purring, she thought I was taking her home. I am reliving that but my fella has told me she has gome home and she knew where her final comfort was. I just have to get past these “what ifs” and not listen to those that don’t know or don’t care about the loss of our beautiful friends.  Thank you again, these posts have really helped me.

In a perfect world, all our loved ones (two and four-legged) would die peacefully in their sleep. I truly wish the vets here were as kind and compassionate as you have described in your post…I hate to take any of my pets in when they are old and have lost their desire to go on but at least in the long run, I am holding them so they are not scared, upset or suffering in their last moments. You were there for her and that’s more than some people or animals end up with.

hugs