Smoking and Children don't mix!

I believe in peoples right to smoke as I smoke once in awhile, but people smoking where there are so so many children around shouldn’t happen, Seafest is awesome but having to move away from where I was enjoying the parade because of a smoker is just wrong, my child has a right to be able to enjoy a smoke free enviorment while watching the parade and enjoying other Seafest activities. I know people won’t agree with my opinion but its just how i feel.

Well unfortunately for your child the smokers also have a right to smoke out fucking side. Until that changes you will have to suck it up.

Besides you should be more concerned what your child inhales from all those diesel trucks or chemical/fragrance sprays they are exposed to rather than a little cigarette smoke dissapated in air.

2nd hand smoke contrary to propaganda does not cause cancer but increases your risk when exposed in heavy concentrations. Read not outside.

I’m an ex smoker with a child and cigarettes disgust me now but smokers have rights too and they already have enough restrictions. Get real with your expectations.

[quote=“jesus”]Well unfortunately for your child the smokers also have a right to smoke out fucking side. Until that changes you will have to suck it up.

Besides you should be more concerned what your child inhales from all those diesel trucks or chemical/fragrance sprays they are exposed to rather than a little cigarette smoke dissapated in air.

2nd hand smoke contrary to propaganda does not cause cancer but increases your risk when exposed in heavy concentrations. Read not outside.

I’m an ex smoker with a child and cigarettes disgust me now but smokers have rights too and they already have enough restrictions. Get real with your expectations.[/quote]

I also experienced an inconsiderate smoker at the parade… if you need to have one, step back away from the crowds, I don’t care if you smoke, just back off from others who don’t smoke…

Sheesh, you’re outside… It may smell gross, but it’s not like the stench stays around for long.
I’m not a smoker, nor do I enjoy the smell, but there are inconsiderate non smokers too. Even if they did step back, I’m willing to bet people would still complain.

If you don’t like the smell of their smoke, move… :smile:

I believe during these functions, they should be smoke free. As a smoker, I am considerate and respect those around me. When the carnival was in town they had signs all over the place “Smoke Free Zone” The city should purchase signs like those for big functions such as the Parade. I’m sorry, but I was at the bouncy thing and a person just lit up while there were at least 100 kids in line. Everyone have rights yes, but those children didn’t have a say…

Well make sure you tell the woman with the caustic perfume to step back as well and don’t forget the gassy dude who ate too much street meat.

Sorry but you do not have the right to be free from offensive odors.

[quote=“jesus”]Well make sure you tell the woman with the caustic perfume to step back as well and don’t forget the gassy dude who ate too much street meat.

Sorry but you do not have the right to be free from offensive odors.[/quote]

jesus… smoking, there is a difference…
perfume, yes some women should not be allowed to use it !! the guy who farts, pretty normal offensive smell for sure.

I will agree that a person smoking at a parade near children is an annoyance, but, it is not a violation of any city bylaws that I’m aware of. I suggest that you move away from the smoker.

Remember: Smoking is a bad habit next to picking your nose and put it in your mouth.

But really, it’s pretty much common sense that second hand smoke is a health concern.

When I find myself in this situation (smoker blowing smoke in my direction) I sneeze uncontrollably in their direction. Without covering my nose and mouth. Has the desired effect.

[quote=“PLA”]Remember: Smoking is a bad habit next to picking your nose and put it in your mouth.

But really, it’s pretty much common sense that second hand smoke is a health concern.[/quote]

Right along side exhaust fumes and fragrance/cleaning sprays.

Smoking outside in public is one thing blowi.g it in peoples faces is entirely different.

Yeah, cars idling beside a school air intake system and guido douchebags are annoying too.

Smokers gather together outside. Keeps the brats and whiney fuckers away so you can see.

I am fascinated by the responses.

The original poster, I believe, was asking people to be considerate of others. Smoking at the parade may have been the catalyst, but it could have been any situation where our behaviour affects others.

Yes there is no law that says we cannot smoke outside, but who should move when somebody’s smoking affects somebody’s comfort. Where large crowds are involved, I would say that it should be the smoker. If we were sitting in the bleachers at the ballpark wouldn’t we expect a smoker to move away from the crowd to light up. The same would be true of a parade. if a kid has to move it probably means a parent has to move and maybe the whole family.

I really don’t think the poster was trying to turn this into a great moral debate. I doesn’t hurt to think twice before we do things that may affect others whatever that may be.

Well as a smoker and a respectable one for others who don’t want to take up my bad habit… I was also at the downtown activities and while my son and I were watching the parade 2 ladies sparked up a smoke each which really spoiled the mood for focusing on the parade because those people decided to not have the consideration and look to see the 100’s of the children who are not able to make the choice not to smoke when you have “grown ups” blowing it in your face. You know it only takes two minutes to back up and go off side where children are not and have your smoke… Think about other people who don’t want to smoke. I hope they make outdoor activities smoke free walk to an alley or something… it’s not like the few steps back to enjoy “your” smoke would kill you… have some respect for those who can’t speak up for themselves.