Skeena results

That’s not the point, nor is it correct. Because there are usually more than 2 candidates (especially in the lower mainland, where you have Liberal, NDP, Democratic Reform, Green, Marijuana and the odd independant) a majority of seats are won with a percentage in the 40’s. Obviously there is always the odd runaway, but it happens far less frequently than the vote spliting amongst the numerous candidates does.

Now to the point, even with the 57% of the overall vote that the Liberals had in the previous election, how is it fair that it translates into 77 of 79 seats in Legislature? What our current system does now, and very well at that, is regional representation. What it doesn’t do, is reflect what the popular vote shows (that being that a little less than half the province backs the Liberals, 40% back the NDP and 10% back the Greens).

I agree that we need electoral reform, but with STV the ridings are only going to get bigger. North Coast is already one of the largest ridings in the province geographically, and I personally don’t see the need for it to get any bigger.

You do understand that even though the ridings would be bigger, they would elect more MLA’s per riding right? It’s not like the riding would get bigger, but you still just elected one person.

That being said, I do agree that STV is not perfect. However, I do think that it would be a better system than the current one.

PREVIOUS post drives the spike home. Is a truth, as is, that gravity is real. :astonished: :unamused: :wink:
THE PRICE good people pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men. -PLATO-