Side walks

Time for a rant…The side walks in Rupert are horrible right now,very icy. I saw someone fall yesterday, they were not hurt. But its only a matter of time.

On another note…why does Purolater leave packages outside of peoples houses when they are not home? Who’s responsible if they are stolen.

[quote=“Gracies Mom”]Time for a rant…The side walks in Rupert are horrible right now,very icy. I saw someone fall yesterday, they were not hurt. But its only a matter of time.

On another note…why does Purolater leave packages outside of peoples houses when they are not home? Who’s responsible if they are stolen.[/quote]

Well I’d suggest you contact City Hall and inquire as to the policy on sidewalks (which seems kind of arbitrary) but alas, they be closed til the New Year (hopefully the guy that drives the snow plow is still around)

princerupert.ca/images/edito … Colour.pdf

Might be a good question to ask one of the Council members or the Mayor however, as the current situation seems pretty dangerous with a lawsuit but a slip away, on the plus side, the City does seem to have a pretty reliable legal team on hand, busy mind you, but reliable.

I almost started this topic myself… I am sick and tired of slipping every time I walk on our city side walks!!! The roads seem to be in pretty good shape but the city has to do something about the side walks… Someone is going to get seriously hurt…

Usually it is the business owners and home owners that are responsible for keeping the portion of sidewalk outside their property clear.

but there is property that the city owns that are not done… City should invest in ATV with a Shovel…

How’s that all working out anyways?

[quote=“Gracies Mom”]
On another note…why does Purolater leave packages outside of peoples houses when they are not home? Who’s responsible if they are stolen.[/quote]

Yes. That is a pet peeve of mine as well. That has happened to me as well several times. I now have packages delivered to my work site.

OK

Sidewalks - I shoveled mine, then the city came along with their plows and put it all back and more. I shovel no more.

Purolator - I will be calling an office somewhere as well as letting the company I ordered from know that mine sat outside all day. And I know it was all day as it was covered with snow. The dogs found it.

You should try being the only female smurf in a village of 99 male smurfs when it snows. Guess who has to shovel?

I walk downtown everyday and I can’t believe the build up of ice on some of the sidewalks around town. It has been almost a week since the last snowfall and the sidewalks are getting worse. I know that home owners and business owners are supposed to be responsible for cleaning the sidewalks that border their property, I would like to know why? The amount of property taxes we pay in this town is almost criminal and the city forces us to do their job for them. When I tell relatives in the lower mainland what we pay in property taxes they laugh. Talk about not getting your money’s worth.

Some of the sidewalks are a joke! Pretty clean on third ave because the merchants are out looking after them.
What burns my ass is getting out of the car, and the door hits a snow bank, which you have to climb over
to get to the clean sidewalk!
I was walking in front of the City Hall the other day, and “lent an arm” to an older
lady on her way over the pile of snow and after thanking me she remarked “You’d think the bloody city could
supply some manpower to get rid of this!” WHY CAN"T THEY!
Another “bobsled track” is on the down hill sidewalk of Mariners Park, by the Japanese Fish Boat.
The sidewalk has ice all over it and people were walking on the grass. Now the grass is getting slick!
I’m glad our fair city has a good legal team, because the salt and sanding team has dropped the ball!

Just my opinion.

The hospital ER has been packed with people hurt from falls on the ice, since the snow fall.

City Council needs to address this issue as soon as possible and for Christ sakes will the plows please stop putting snow on/by the side walks !!

I made some calls yesterday, and the sidewalks are getting cleared.

LOL, sure are, the rain will have all that snow and ice out of the way by the weekend and hey no OT required!