Should you upgrade to Vista? Helpful flowchart:-)

Great question.

Well first, you’d buy the computer to be able to use Mac OS X.  It really is significant enough to buy the computer.

Secondly, it’s cheaper.  Yes, you heard that right.  Go to apple.ca, and get the specs on the cheapest Macbook.  Go to dell.ca and configure a similar computer (same processor, same memory, firewire, webcam, drive, etc), and you’ll find that the Apple is cheaper.

Now let’s say you want a powerful tower.  Again, go to apple.ca, and get the specs on the Powermac.  Go to Dell.ca and configure a dell with the same specs, and you’re about $1000 more expensive than the Apple.

The only way Dell is cheaper is when they sell you cheaper stuff – ie: they sell you a processor that’s 3 years old rather than the latest one.

Edit: Here’s what I could find in just 1 minute of searching:

The Macbook has 80gigs versus the 120gigs in the Dell.  But other than that, they’re the same computer.

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Further reading:

"Apple thrashes Dell on Mac Pro pricing"
theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33576

[quote]Dual Core Intel Xeon 2GHz x 2 (4MB shared L2 cache)
Dell: $2,086.00 (with a $200 discount for small business)
Apple: $2,124.00

Dual Core Intel Xeon 2.66GHz x 2 (4MB shared L2 cache)
Dell: $2,866.00 (with a $200 discount for small business)
Apple: $2,424.00

Dual Core Intel Xeon 3GHz x 2 (4MB shared L2 cache)
Dell: $3,686.00 (with a $200 discount for small business)
Apple: $3,224.00
[/quote]

"Apple vs. Dell price war"
blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=211

[quote]High-end laptops (Macbook Pro versus Dell XPS):
    * Dell: $3,222
    * Apple: $2,699
    * Difference: $523
[/quote]

I was hoping that my dual xeon dell would have run the mac os :frowning: oh well. ive invested into a great box… now to invest in a white macbook for portability.

One of my it friends hated mac’s with a passion… gues what he uses every day as his main it machine…

MACBOOK…  it runs windows linux windows 2003 server and osx… HE loves it…

Thanks for the education Mig. I can totally see why people purchase them just on the hardware alone. Add to that the OS and it’s a great package.

Mike

Interesting, thanks, MiG:-)  I was always of the opinion that Dell was a better deal price-wise than Apple.  The Macs look like a better deal to me. :smiley:

Thanks for the flow chart but looks all greek to me LOL

Fixed…  :smiley:

Mike