Shopping in Terrace

Oh I agree I think the Terrace Mall is a dive
Both here and there have terribly out dated malls…
Liquation World is a something else, what a mess…

What I like in Terrace is Staples, Walmart, Cdn Tire, Coles, Farmers Market,
Compuserve Computers, Super Store and a few more small places…

Rupert Restaurants are better overall… but I do perfer Boston Pizza over Pizza Hut here.  But overall there tends  to be mostly fast food in Terrace…

I have to go with what I can afford and I like a selection of goods…  If I go with a friend and share gas its still very reasonable in a small car to travel there

I was in Terrace for some med appts, and hit walmart and Cdn Tire. The skeena mall is almost as empty as ours. I hear that there are a few people  interested in opening up on 3rd Avenue.  It would be nice to have some more one of stores on 3rd. Each small town/city up the line has some unique shops. We have quite a selection of restaurants compared to Terrace and Kitimat. I have found that our shoe store (3rd Avenue Shoes) has quite the selection and not too bad prices.  i have actually bought some great kids clothes in Burns Lake.  That said I am heading off to Alberta and will probably be in a tizzy due to all of the choices!  I do like living here, and thank god for ebay and the catalog. 
Have a good day!

Staples’ pricing is all computer-generated and controlled by the head office.  If products are seemingly dead in their inventory, the computer marks it down until it’s sold.

I used to work there and took advantage of it with a PDA.  It was a demo model that had been boxed up and stuck somewhere in the back room.  One day I was printing out sale signs and one printed out showing this PalmOne for $8 (Reg $120?).  Since it was stuck in the back and no one was buying it, the computer just kept chopping the price.  The same thing happened with a camera that wasn’t for sale on the floor because it was missing the battery.  I picked it up for $50 and my boss said if I could find a battery for it they’d pay for the battery.  The battery was $80 from sight & sound so they gave me a 2GB MS DUO card instead of refunding.  Worked out well.

Oh, and I should chime in about everything else, since I live in Terrace.

Places to eat that aren’t fast food.

Bistro l’Ambiance
Between the Coast Inn of the West and ScotiaBank, specializes in seafood and fondue, but makes pretty much everything.  My brother-in-law is the chef and I love the menu here, it’s so good.

Mr. Mikes
The menu has been the same for years, but still a popular place to eat.

Starfish Bistro
Have only eaten here once, but it was amazing.  $7 bought me a lunch that lasted me til dinner.  I had to have half of it boxed up to go.

Places to shop other than big box stores

All Seasons Source for Sports
You all should know about this place, it’s been around for years.

Ruins Board Shop
Trendier skate, wake & snow inspired clothing, Nixon watches, skate shoes, etc.

Azad Adventures
Outdoor equipment, high-end outerwear, lots of girls clothing but not much guys stuff.  Not much left now that the owner’s are selling the business.

Out Spoke’N Bike & Sport
Not sure how much is there for clothing these days, but lots of bike equipment.

Urban Colour
Lots of clothes, and the kind of stuff you don’t find everywhere.  High end brands as well as old school stuff.

The Yellow House
So awesome.

Petland
If you have pets, of course. Or need a pet.

I’ve lived in Terrace for all but 4 months of my 21 year life, and in the last 5 years I’ve probably been in the mall 3 times.  I used to go all the time as a kid, back when the mall had a bit of everything, but now it’s totally useless unless you need jeans from bootlegger, books from Coles, or stuff from Sonny’s Collectibles.

Places that AREN’T Fast Food in Prince George.

McDonalds (any of them)
KFC (any of them)
DQ (any of them)
Burger King (if you can call that food at all)

And Denny’s in Terrace has to be the most dis-organized mess of an eatery I’ve ever encountered…

and YELLING: YOU FORGOT THE HOT HOUSE!!! HOW DID YOU FORGET THAT???

SLAP<<<<
Fantastic food!

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
And Denny’s in Terrace has to be the most dis-organized mess of an eatery I’ve ever encountered…

I have to agree with you Denny’s is a real mess, food sometime okay, but gave up on the place because it’s so disorganized…[/quote]

LOL, that must be a company wide edict at Denny’s we once had dinner there in Calgary or Edmonton i forget which, there seemed to be no shortage of drama in and out of the kitchen (and we knew cause for some reason we were seated right beside the doors despite the wide range of open spots elsewhere), the food while ok wasn’t particularly special though if I remember the price was right.  Giving more credibility to the term you get what you pay for I guess… :smiley:

We LEFT Denny’s and went over to Mr Mikes (it was lunch by then…) and had good burgers. Then we WENT BACK just to see… the table wasn’t cleared, they didn’t even know we left (we’d ducked out for a smoke 3X before!) and the food STILL wasn’t there.
We walked out again and laughed about that…

Saw on the news one night last week, that the trend in the U S of A is to not have malls anymore. The designs are now of avenues of stores with lots of light and fresh air. Happy employees = better sales!  PG has something similar by the canadian Tire I think on the Hart Highway.  Payless Shoes, Body Shop, etc, much the same stores as you would find in the mall except its more of a downtown store front.  Looks good  BTW any one being to Edmonton and the WE MALL, any tips for good deals etc.

Only problem with the PG example is that I’m not too sure that the concept fits in well with a PG winter… especially on the Hart which always seemed to get way more snow tham other areas of the city.

They’re on Hwy16 not up the Hart.
You also end up driving the 1/2 block between the little mini-malls in winter. But you can zoom about quickly and do all your big box shopping without actually even entering the main parts of town.
Pine Center remains the only real enclosed mall and there’s dick all there. Heating all that enclosed space must make for killer rents.
One side effect is downtown PG is now a complete dead zone. All the parking meters are coming out but you have to keep one eye out the restaurant/club window on your vehicle with all the damned drunks and crackheads stumbling about.
Oh, except for Parkwood Mall downtown and London Drugs. They have Macs and actually know WTF they are. And Linux magazines.

Denny’s is a disorganized mess everywhere.  It’s part of the atmosphere. 

There was a huge lawsuit in the southern Excited States a few years ago – claiming that black people were discriminated against at Denny’s.  The suit claimed black people received slow and rotten service.  Denny’s defense was that the slow and rotten service happened with everyone, not just minorities.

I’m not a huge fan of mega malls simply because I’m not very fond of crowds-I tolerate the West Edmonton mall because of the aquatic complex and the fantastic T&T grocery store there but dodging people all day, yech! The worst one for crowds has to be the recently revamped Chinook Mall in Calgary-it may be light years ahead of the way it used to look (it was a dump) but by lunchtime on a weekend you can barely move without bumping into someone. There are a few stores worth checking out there,like Old Navy for the kids or a few of the specialty places but you have to get there early,dammit!

I notice that a lot of the new shopping complexes are now mixing big-box stores with very tiny strip malls-the new one in Duncan already has a Walmart Super Store, a Rona and will have a Canadian Tire, Home Depot and about six or seven smaller stores tucked into an open area in one corner. Nanaimo has something like that at Woodgrove Mall, where some of the stores can only be accessed from the outside (Starbucks, Royal Bank,etc) and a few stand-alone stores like Chapters,Save-On Foods and Pier-One are arranged around the outside of the parking lot. Now, if it’s a crappy and wet day out, it seems a lot of people don’t venture outside of the main mall but with options like a good food court and a movie complex accessible from the inside of the mall, it’s not too hard to take. That is something that keeps the men-folk happy if the women-folk are busy hitting the stores… :wink:

MetroTown in Burnaby is awful. Not one damned store an adult male would go into. Not one store for women over size 0. Yuk.
It ruined my old neighborhood permanently.

I’m headed to Nanaimo this week, and I’m so stoked for Woodgrove shopping!

I love the comments on Denny’s.  My best advice is to stay away from fast food.

Think about it.  Fast food draws in people who don’t want to spend a lot.  In restaurants like Denny’s where you actually have a waiter, you leave a tip.  But, because you’re not spending alot, and not getting an expensive meal, most people aren’t leaving much.  So… you’ve got employees working in a grease pit making minimum wage and next to nothing in tips.

Instead, you can go to a real restaurant like Mr. Mikes, Boston Pizza, the Hot House, Bistro l’Ambiance and Don Diegos, choose from a healthier menu and get real service.  A lot of my friends have worked as waitresses at Mr. Mikes and Boston Pizza and they make ridiculous money.  They may only make $8-$10 an hour, but can bring in $300 in tips in a night.  A friend of mine from college actually wanted to move to Calgary to work as a waitress because her friend was making something like $5,000/mo there, and most of that was from just tips.

You may pay $18 for dinner instead of $10 at Denny’s, but it’s so worth it.  Boston Pizza’s new menu has a lot of healthier choices, and Mr. Mikes had a good choice of salads and stir-frys too that leave you glad you ate, not regretting the grease and 2,000 calories you just ate at Dennys.

There’s a new “East Side Marios” in Prince George, their Calamari Diablo is to die for. Same atmosphere & prices as Boston and the new Pizza Huts but the food is better.
Except for the pizza, all 3 suck when it comes to that.

Me too, lets be friends.

Jesus, I read in da paper dat you are the personal trainer fur da pastor an captain from S&A. How long hav you been doin this,says you hav helped his shoulder.

Isn’t it awesome?