Selling hackingthemainframe.com

I started hackingthemainframe.com a long time ago.  It seems like a lifetime ago, really.  Originally, the site was just a goofy tongue-in-cheek parody of some local websites.  The first version of HTMF had an animated dog running back and forth on the screen.  Awesome.

You can see old versions of hackingthemainframe.com here: bit.ly/oldhtmf

Throughout the history of HTMF, we have always provided an anonymous place for discussion of many issues.  Originally, one didn’t even have to sign up for an account to post.  This went away when someone literally shit all over the site.  Then users were asked to sign up for accounts, but could remain anonymous if they didn’t use their real names.

Over the years I’ve received numerous letters from lawyers and other legal requests.  I’ve always complied when I thought the requests were fair.  However, we tried never to delete threads, as I believe people should be responsible for what they write, even if they think they’re anonymous.  

The letters I could handle, since they were written and often had reasonable requests.  

However, then the phone calls began.  I received all kinds of phone calls.   Some people called and asked for computer help based on their belief that since they couldn’t get on hackingthingmainframe, that it was somehow my responsibility to fix their computers.  Others forgot their passwords and decided it was perfectly ok to call me at home and ask me to change them.  

Then the really annoying calls began.  For some, I even had to get the RCMP involved to make them stop.  Even these I could handle, because clearly for some people, posts on an internet forum are part of a grand conspiracy.  I’m a member of the Bilderberg Group, you see, and some people want to drive me out of town for wanting a one world government.  Luckily I can always just use the black helicopter in my backyard to get to work.  And the RCMP are in on the conspiracy, so they cheerfully helped me out after I gave the secret handshake.

The one type of complaining phone call that has become more and more common though, is the “I heard you did something bad” phone call.  I received this kind of call at home (and even at work!), and the person would say something like “I heard there was something on the internet that you wrote or somebody else wrote.  I don’t use the internet, and I didn’t read it, but I am outraged and you better do something about it!”

It’s this type of complaint that finally convinced me to sell the website.  I’m not going to be a lightning rod for vague complaints from people who don’t even know what they’re complaining about.

Now I didn’t want to just close the site, as this rewards the complainers, and in my opinion is a chilling effect on free speech.  Instead, I wanted to make it so that HTMF is even stronger, and that any chilling effect is effectively cancelled out.  I wanted our very own Streisand Effect.

The complainers who don’t “use the internet” will not have heard of the Streisand Effect, but everybody else can just google it.  If the complainers thought they could censor HTMF by complaining to me, they’ll be happy to know that the complete opposite has happened.  Maybe whoever tells them about the bad stuff on the internet can pass along this note.

As of today, the website officially belongs to Feliks Kondrashchenko.  He already hosts a bunch of websites, and is much better at dealing with complaints than I am.  He shares some of my views on anonymous speech, and has agreed to leave HTMF alone, mostly. I’m sure there will be some changes, but the spirit of the site will continue.

Want to call and complain about something?  I’m sure Feliks will soon be posting his contact details on the site.

Up-voted for Truthiness.

Thank You, Mig.

[quote=“MiG”]
Want to call and complain about something?  I’m sure Feliks will soon be posting his contact details on the site.[/quote]

Ah, I see he’s already beaten me to the punch.  It’s on the top menu there, and at hackingthemainframe.com/contact

I didn’t know you were part of the bilderburg group MiG… Next time you see David Rockefeller, tell him I say hi… :unamused:

I dunno about the bilderburg group, but I’ve been accused by two people who called my house of being a part of the Bilderberg Group. 

Mig… not that I’ve ever called you to complain… but… can I call you still to complain?

<3 No seriously, its been some good times with the site over the years… and years…

What ever are you going to do though, without being pestered everyday by the backwater gene-pool of complainers?

Let’s all hope Mr. Kondrashchenko stays true to his word and leaves this site relatively untouched.

Bah, you know what I mean…

That’s really funny actually. What silly rumours this town has…

Well, it was all your own fault anyways. If you would quit wearing those tin foil hats and flying around in that damn black helicopter of yours you wouldn’t have drawn so much attention to yourself.  :imp:

Do not forget his Accent…lol

I will not be able to make political statements, the FBI and The CIA will be watching every move we make. We must become known as the Hush People of The North.

no one has asked how much you sold it for :frowning: MILLIONS RIGHT MIG!!

You fucking sellout

Its the American way!  :smiley:

PS - did anyone notice the Spell Check button beside the post button?  This would be most useful for many people on this forum.  Now all we need is a grammar checker and automatic space inserter! 

[quote]The one type of complaining phone call that has become more and more common though, is the “I heard you did something bad” phone call.  I received this kind of call at home (and even at work!), and the person would say something like “I heard there was something on the internet that you wrote or somebody else wrote.  I don’t use the internet, and I didn’t read it, but I am outraged and you better do something about it!”

It’s this type of complaint that finally convinced me to sell the website.  I’m not going to be a lightning rod for vague complaints from people who don’t even know what they’re complaining about.[/quote]

I can sympathize with that 100%. But I adopted a Seven of Nine attitude about it. “I will not comply”.
But I have to check my forum constantly as there’s a certain subject that must be tread carefully here, and one person has intimidated the newspaper and radio into bedwetting little wimps.
My number’s now unlisted. But I’d really like to buy a loaf of bread or fill up my gas tank without 3 people stopping me for free computer advice.
Someone even called the Overwaitea on a Sunday, told the manager it was an emergency to get the other half pulled from the till, and then tried to get my cell number. Because her Internet was off for nonpayment and she needed it turned back on right fucking now. Was waiting at the door at opening time Monday to tell me how rude my gf was and I’d better teach her proper customer service and that’s right, still didn’t have any fucking money to pay the bill.

I fully understand. First reasonable offer I get, I walk away.

Don’t forget “paragraph limiter” or “auto paragraph breaker”. People like me don’t read big ass wall of text, we look at it.

[quote="herbie_popnecker "]  Was waiting at the door at opening time Monday to tell me how rude my gf was and I’d better teach her proper customer service and that’s right, still didn’t have any fucking money to pay the bill.
[/quote]

You’re a very patient man, herbie.  Keep the dork off-line until the bill is paid.  What a jack-ass.