Science or Quackery?

Real thoughts and true emotions change the world.

Partical physics has demonstrated that our intentions effect our reality.

When someone uses a phrase that you find simpistict, they might find it they only manner to express that they really love you.  revell in it.

We need to enjoy each others reality, not critique it. 

With Love, Respect and Compassion,

Papa Merv

Wait a second…

Is this the “poor people are only poor because they ‘will’ themselves to be poor” argument again?

If so, please buy my DVD.

And you will, simply because the force of my mind compels you to!

Nope.  This has nothing to do with that poor people willing themselves to be poor arguement.  Poor people are are result of usery but that may be beyond this forum. (let me know if you want that discussion)

The discussion at hand is more an attitude matter.  In the 1930’s we (as a group of scientists) (no not me in particular) found that that act of observing an experient changed the result.  Since then we have discovered that our thoughts affect reality.  You wanna be an ass. . .you help make the world an ass.  Go ahead and play stupid and assist in making the world stupid.

How about being pleasant and happy and helpful.  Think just a small amount. . .kay. . . Your space could be just a bit better.  It is up to us all to make this world better. . . and science has already proven it (look up entanglement) is all in the power of thought.

I am trusting you to help.

Papa Merv

[quote=“papamerv”]
In the 1930’s we (as a group of scientists) (no not me in particular) found that that act of observing an experient changed the result.[/quote]

The experiment is always observed, either by the person performing the test, or by an outside observer (who in this case may have randomly chose when to observe and when not to).  So, to collect all of the data when the 2nd observer is not observing, the 1st observer must always collect data, thus always observing the experiment.

Observe, observe, observe…

p>5%    Don’t Reject Hº

Hº Observing an experiment does not change the results

Quantum physics has its foundation in this fact.  I would recommend you watch this very short, entertaining video on the subject.  Researching entanglement may be too intense.

Since the beginning of recorded history we have been advised by our greatest teachers to be - ware of our thoughts.  Even the “commandments” spoke of not “coveting” which simply means desire. 

Your mind is very very powerful and your thoughts do affect yours and everyone elses reality.  When you observe your mind is active.  Watch this and get ready to become a different person.

video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 0526284618

Papa Merv

I’d like to clarify why ‘love and light’ a term loosely and over-used predominantely by the New-Age movement turns me off:

Love and Light is an extreme

the opposite of

Hate and Darkness

We don’t need extremes - we need Balance

How about practising

Authenticity?

Peace

Ah yes, many are not being authentic when they use terms they don’t truly understand or for that matter even mean it.

I like that . . “Practice Authenticity”. . . Hmmm.

Love and Light are not extremes, this isn’t a political, fanatical thing.  I guess the opposite of authenticity is fallacy.  This does not make them extremes, just opposites.

I do understand your aversion though.  I knew a woman in Calgary who, at the end of her answering machine message said “and remember, be kind to yourself”.  Now she may have been authentic but that made me want to puke everytime I heard it too.  And, like you may have found from some snake oil selling “new agers” using the phrase “Love and Light”,  I think that she said it to pump herself up not for directing authentic positive energy our way.

(and I practice this but screw up sometimes too, practice, practice, practice)

Papa Merv

“Now she may have been authentic but that made me want to puke everytime I heard it too.”

So… papaMerv… you puke as well, huh?

Guess we’re all just humans doing our best :smiley:

Cheers!
… (the opposite of no Cheers?)

Damnit, who gave hippies the internet?

LMAO :sunglasses:

It was hippies that invented it, university prof’s (long hairs) that wanted to share data between their computers. 

Two of them called themselves a couple of “yahoos”

Uh…the founders of yahoo were a bit young to be hippies:-)

Papamerv,  I applaud your choice of using positive thinking to live your life and to enhance the ones of the people surrounding you.  I try to do the same myself ( but I probably screw up more often than you do).  In light of the loss of your partner ( I read about it in another thread), your attitude is commendable.  Many others would feel discouraged for much less hardship.

However,  I would suggest that you read more about the Double-Slit Experiment and the  Uncertainty Principle before applying them to your Deepak Chopra-like discussions.  The fact that these events occur at the particle level doesn’t imply that they will happen at the human scale. 
But I’m not here to argue about your beliefs.  I can provide you with some websites where people much smarter than I am in Quantum Physics have discussed the very same thing that you did. 

You may go here first.  This is a good guide to debunk the pseudo-science you mention. 

You should also visit the Scientific American page about the movie from which your video clip was taken.

After reading this, I hope you will stop taking part in the “entanglement” of physics with pseudo-scientific quackery. 

But no matter what, keep the positive respectful attitude that you seem to have.  Our world needs more of that.

reposted from WANTED (added some to the end)

[quote]quote from freeflyer

…No offence intended Merv,

But… I’ve been studying the paranormal for some time now and the New Age love and light community really does make me want to vomit. It’s all about ‘intentions’ and when people offer ‘healing’ which I might ad, at quite the expense… it’s a turn off.

I just think it’s time to ‘get real’ about our world and what we all need to do to contribute to make changes…  I can’t see that sending anyone love and light has or will accomplish much of anything.

We need to take real action… [/quote]

quote from wikipedia

An agent’s intention in performing an action is their specific purpose in doing so, the end or goal they aim at, or intend to accomplish. Whether an action is successful or unsuccessful depends at least on whether the intended result was brought about. Other consequences of someone’s acting are called unintentional. Intentional behavior can also be just thoughtful and deliberate goal-directedness.

• In the philosophy of mind, intentionality is the property of being “about” something else, or to have some subject matter, in a certain way. Many states of mind, such as thinking about the pyramids, are characteristically about things (in this case the pyramids). Other things, such as words and paintings, can also have kinds of intentionality. Rocks and tables, in general, do not have intentional states.

* An intension (with an s, but easily mistaken for intention with a t) is an aspect of the meaning of an expression. It is meant to contrast with extension.

[quote]…It’s all about ‘intentions’ and when people offer ‘healing’ which I might ad, at quite the
expense… it’s a turn off…[/quote]

hey i have some laser eye healing (surgery) only $2300.00 but some would still pay for this why? should it be free? does it make it anyless of a medical service if it’s what the person or persons wants? just because you me i we do not see it as a valid medical service does not make it less so, unless by its use does it prove to be harmful to the people it trys to heal.

i think both of you make valid points but are in essence talking about the same thing from different points of view. just because someone is not out planting trees doe not mean they hate the forest! we all play the parts that we can play some are leading roles and some are just bit parts in the grand movie called life, but without either one the roles just look stupid and incomplete.

so love and light,happy trails,good evening, peace be with you, Sheqet  or Shalwah

[quote]quote from freeflyer:

Love the ‘happy trails’

Sheqet or Shalwah??? [/quote]

Shalom was what i was going to put

but when i looked up the meaning to make sure i was using it at least some what correctly i found out out the right use tonight myself, the stuff you can learn when your not trying.  :smiley:

Despite common belief Shalom does not mean “peace” in Hebrew in the general context. The Hebrew words for peace are Sheqet (שקט) or Shalwah (שלוה). Only between two political entities does “Shalom” mean Peace.

and thank you freeflyer for the nice comment. :smile:

Your Welcome!

שלוה

“hey i have some laser eye healing (surgery) only $2300.00 but some would still pay for this why? should it be free?”

No, punisher, I don’t think it should be free and I hope your surgery worked or will, if you haven’t had it yet - good luck!

I just think it’s too bad that there are so many quacks out there that ruin it for the true healers - because I know there are some great ones out there.

Science doesn’t have all the answers either though, in fact Quantum Science is Old News to the shamanic people of several cultures… both ancient and contemporary.

שלוה

I think you´ve got your scientific ´facts´ confused. 

But explain to me more about these Shamans and how Quantum Mechanics is old news to them. 

"I think you´ve got your scientific ´facts´ confused. 

But explain to me more about these Shamans and how Quantum Mechanics is old news to them."

No, Rat, I’m not confused. This really is a fascinating subject because what Quantum Science has recently discovered has been written about in ancient texts and known about in Shamanic cultures through out the world.

Here is just one article to start with, but there’s tons of information out there if you’re interested, I can give you more. This is a lengthy article but scroll down and you’ll find what I’m talking about.  :smile:

starstuffs.com/physcon/printer.html