Safeway Shoppers BEWARE!

just saw this on the google news, thought id give a heads up:

CANADA – Five people have fallen ill from bad beef, and consumers should avoid purchasing or consuming specific brands of ground beef sold in Canada, said a health hazard alert Saturday morning.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency said in a news release that some ground beef and ground beef patties sold in Safeway and Independent grocery stores could be contaminated with E. coli bacteria.

Davendra Sharma, a CFIA spokesperson, said anyone concerned about their ground beef containing E. coli should return it. “It’s always safer to caution yourself in E. coli situations.”

Sharma said the contamination was limited to “only a few products.”

Fresh ground beef sold at Safeway and Independent grocery stores in British Columbia and Alberta between May 24 and June 5, bearing “best before” dates from May 25 to June 6, should not be consumed the warning said.

It also said that in Western Canada and west of Thunder Bay, Ont.,  some 1.13 kg frozen ground beef patties branded “Butcher’s Cut” bought at Safeway grocery stores were contaminated.

And Sunny Dawn frozen ground beef patties bought in the Northwest Territories, the Yukon, Western Canada and western Ontario after May 24 also risk being contaminated, the agency said.

“Consumers who have purchased the products described above, and have them in their freezers, are advised not to consume these products,” the warning said.

There have been five reported illnesses associated with the consumption of these products.

Food contaminated with E. coli may not look or smell spoiled. Consumption of food contaminated with it may cause serious and potentially life-threatening illnesses. Symptoms include severe abdominal pain and bloody diarrhea. Some people may have seizures or strokes and some may need blood transfusions and kidney dialysis. Others may live with permanent kidney damage. In severe cases of illness, people may die.

Canada Safeway is voluntarily recalling the affected products from the market, the warning said.

For more information, call one of the following numbers: Canada Safeway at 1-800-SAFEWAY or CFIA at 1-800-442-2342.

© CanWest News Service 2007

If the Meat has been tainted with Escherichia Coli it would be advisable to run a Blot on the Ice Cream as well…

And I get “ribbed” for being a vegetarian :smiley:  What have you got to say now,buds? Rabbit food ain’t all that bad, of course, someone will come on now and warn me of the contaminants I am ingesting from the soil and then I’ll be totally screwed so spare me any info there please?  Off to munch on a carrot, have a great day :smiley:

Yeah because there has never been E. coli warnings involving vegetables.  :unamused:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Unite … i_outbreak

Do  Vegetarians , eat tuna like cats ?  I heard that carrots squeal when pulled from ground , do you feel like a killer . Just like eating red meat and being violent .

i

I knew it!  Nobody listens to me :frowning:  I am aware of that warning CrazyMike but don’t eat raw spinach and dislike lettuce  but thanks anyway and as for you there Justin Case, carrots may squeal when you pull them from the ground but then just raise their little leaves in surrender and submit to their ultimate fate. As for eating “tuna like cats”, I prefer to eat it on a sandwich with mayo thanks. I am too old to get down on the floor and scarf from my cats’ bowl. Besides she doesn’t like to share… :laughing:

tuna is contaminated with mercury, i would stick with dolphin. they taste better too.

My daughter’s a veggie, she LIVES on tuna and squid. Bug her about those “Squid farts” whenever I see her…

[quote=“ChrisJ”]
just saw this on the google news, thought id give a heads up:

CANADA – Five people have fallen ill from bad beef, and consumers should avoid purchasing or consuming specific brands of ground beef sold in Canada, said a health hazard alert Saturday morning.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency said in a news release that some ground beef and ground beef patties sold in Safeway and Independent grocery stores could be contaminated with E. coli bacteria.

Crazy!!! I wonder if they actually practice using old meat as well like I seen in a documentarie some years ago showing how sometimes if meat sits too long they freshen it up by wrapping new meat with the old?[/quote]

hey i know what your talking about, i dont know about now but back in the late eighties and ninties i used to shop at safeway and my ground beef was like that all the time, i dint know thats what those bastieges were doing. i remember it would be bright red, looking nice and fresh and then you go to cook it and its only bright red all on the outside, the inside is brown. i remember actually thinking “those fuckers wouldnt be dumping old meat on us, wrapping it up in fresh stuff to fool us would they?”, i thought they were spraying it with some type of red dye, which really isnt much better now that i think about it. god damn them either way, hehe.