Rupertites may be in store for celestial treat tonight

It’s a combination of events that haven’t taken place since 1554, but if the skies over the North coast remain clear overnight Monday and into Tuesday morning, the last lunar eclipse of 2010 and the first one to take place on the Winter’s solstice in 456 years will provide for a spectacle in the night sky.

North coast stargazers and amateur astronomers should look towards the moon around 10:30 on Monday night, when the moon will enter the darkest part of the Earth’s shadow. The celestial show continues on past the midnight hour when the moon will be at the deepest portion of its eclipse at 12:17am and then will emerge from the shadow around 12:50, the night time show should be complete by 2 am.

(from the blog a town called podunk, click on the link below to see the entire item atowncalledpodunk.blogspot.com/2 … e-for.html )

bump…

less than six hours till show time and the skies are still clear!

I was wondering why they’re making a big deal about it being the winter solstice. Next time that happens will be 2419. But that would be true of any day wouldn’t it?

I think they’re trying to say that, yes we get lots of full moons during our life-time and yes we may get a lot of winter solstice periods too, but to get them both to coincide at the same time are as rare as seeing Prince Rupert booming… maybe once in your lifetime.

I think they’re trying to say that, yes we get lots of full moons during our life-time and yes we may get a lot of winter solstice periods too, but to get them both to coincide at the same time are as rare as seeing Prince Rupert booming… maybe once in your lifetime.

I would love to see or experience the Prince Rupert Booming , I guess we will just have to enjoy the Light Show tonight and leave the fantasy for much later. By the way I guess they never got the right part for that light on third yet. Surprised anybody?

Way too cold for me to go out and watch!

I’ll wait to see Photoguy’s photos instead :wink: I’ll be watching from the hottub! There’s a visual for all of you.

Leaving aside Constables editorial on the fate of the Podunk boom, he does seem to have the genesis of the event down however, it’s actual timing of the two events that is rather unique, I’ll leave it to the math majors to figure out the odds and such.

As for Mig and the other folks that would rather be ensconced in the warmth of the indoors rather than take in the eclipse in the icy elements, as they say on the iPad and iPod commercials, there’s an app for that.

theglobeandmail.com/life/the … le1845114/

I heard an event like this won’t happen ever again in Rupert. Clear skies and an equinox. lol. I’ll be out there. Free lessons if you find me.

I’ll have my coffee and baileys, looking out the best window in the house… cheers…

If I can keep the munchkin awake long enough I’ll be out there with my Nikon trying to figure out just how to use the damn thing. One day I’ll buy a book, One day.

Jesus - set your camera on manual. f13 and 1/500 of a second at 400 ISO and you will get this.
flickr.com/photos/zpaperboyz/3104510724/
or f7 and 1/1600 at 400 ISO and you will get this.
flickr.com/photos/zpaperboyz/2851976321/

Turns out I can see the moon just fine from my back deck, and more importantly, from the hot tub.

Just beware of the gravitational pull during the eclipse, would hate to hear of any hot tub tsunami’s tonight!

[quote=“photoguy”]Jesus - set your camera on manual. f13 and 1/500 of a second at 400 ISO and you will get this.
flickr.com/photos/zpaperboyz/3104510724/
or f7 and 1/1600 at 400 ISO and you will get this.
flickr.com/photos/zpaperboyz/2851976321/[/quote]

It would seem me waiting until ‘later’ to buy a tripod will be coming back to haunt me unless my car is at the right angle… Just did a few test shots not so hot more like a shooting star… Also the 18-55 lens = fail for moon pictures.

the wife will be taking a video though so at least we will have something of quality.

:frowning: :-\

who are you mooning from your back deck ??? heh heh…goodnight mig…

[quote=“MiG”]Way too cold for me to go out and watch!

I’ll wait to see Photoguy’s photos instead :wink: I’ll be watching from the hottub! There’s a visual for all of you.[/quote]

I’m so jealous. A hot tub would be awesome for my back problems.
I think I may try and peek out the window. Hopefully I can see it from my deck.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs614.ash2/156623_10150351534135167_684400166_15974009_6183164_n.jpg

I’m surprised at the quality of these. I need a better lens and a tripod though the roof racks seemed to provide decent stabilization.

It was surprisingly clear in the backyard. But I didn’t take the time to properly set up, because it was freezing!

That looks awesome!! It was slightly cloudy in rupert tonight. We were waiting for one of those sucker holes to reach the moon, but it didn’t really work out that way.
I didn’t get many good ones. I’ve got to learn more about my computer before I can get good night shots. Couldn’t find the tripod either.