Rupertites Don't Give a Green Damn

In a previous post I mentioned the importance of the community being more self reliant and ultimately more green (environmentally minded?). Most of HTMF’s good citizens wrote pithy insulting replies and believed the concern to be petty: “No pet chickerns” and “Keep livestock off the island”.

I recall a slide in the not too distant past wiping out No. 16, thus restricting the flow of goods coming into our town. How many of the city’s Chicken Littles believed the sky had actually fallen and thought they better hoard the dairy, bread, eggs, etc. Remember the gas lines? How embaressing. How base and selfish. Pathetic.

How many in this wrinkled town go to the food bank looking to fill their home pantries? From what I understand, the food bank has a hard time keeping up with the needs of our less fortunate. Why, I ask, doesn’t this town have a community garden like so many other more sophistacated towns for people who aren’t fortunate enough to have their own yards to grow food ? Why can’t livestock be kept on the island for the use and good of its inhabitants?

Why don’t you care about the environmental impact of having our food come from unknown places. Aren’t you concerned about your family’s health? What’s in that egg or piece of meat? Where does that vegetable come from? I wonder if the Chinese garlic you ate tonight was fertilized with human feces? What kind of toxic fumigants were used to keep those green beans pest free on the container trip from who knows? 

These are questions worth asking… it is 2007. 

And please, don’t write “attend City Hall rub n tugs” or “if you don’t like it, leave” I would like to hear what concerned citizens have to say.

And to those who keep lowering my karma, lower away…Merci.

Live chickens are no greener than dead chickens. How were you going to get the chickens? Magic? They’ll eventually board some sort of fossil fuel burning vehicle and be brought to you.

Plus, Rupert is dirty enough without the hicks in town having livestock running around.

eccentric, you sound so angry today. You’re right though, the 1st chickens must arrive via fossil fuel. However, instead of a diesel rig making weekly visits, it would be a compact sedan making one trip. I’d just pick 'em up when on my way back from shopping in Terrace. Yes the 1st generation would not be green as I’d wish, but imagine: the second, third generations, all guilt free.

What you got against animals anyway?

With regard to growing local food, I am not sure if Prince Rupert is situated ideally. We have nestled in the shadow of Mount Hays, we have short days, our wet climate gives us a short growing season, and we do not have lots of flat, tillable area.

So, in an effort to sustain yourself in a greener fashion, I think that you’re heading in the wrong direction.

Prince Rupert could not self-sustain with agriculture. I think that a much better plan would be to convince people to catch or buy local seafood.

As an armchair gardener, however, I think that because Prince Rupert has never had an agricultural industry, that perhaps people don’t seriously consider growing a few veggies to supplement their diet.

Admittedly, I haven’t given it a terrible amount of thought either – what do you think could thrive here?

bigger livestock for meat and milk and such doesnt do well here anyways
cows and horses get hoof rot because of all the muskeg.
so we still would have to truck that in.
and where are we going to put farms anyways?
cut down all the forest around us and make pastures of moss and muskeg for the livestock to eat?
and some people are just shitty at growing things… and also have no place to do so.
i could make a garden in my front yard… but it wouldnt get much sun at all.

id be more concerned about all the garbage in this town and the lack of recycling then having to truck in eggs and meat and other grocerys from other places. do we even have recycling pick up services here? if not… why not?

and as for the calamity that was the highway being closed… maybe some people need to learn to be less selfish and only take what is nessecary instead of panicking like its Y2K all over again.  :unamused:

P.LAO, you must be the whiniest poster in HTMF.

Are you seriously a Rupertite here? Man, bark for Japan.

[quote=“P.LAO”]
And to those who keep lowering my karma, lower away…Merci.[/quote]

I got -3 karma. Well who do think I am? I’m Kim Jong-il… (-_-)’

BTW:

:unamused:

It could be an employment generator, we could have an entire battallion of chicken herders make the trek from Terrace to Rupert on a weekly basis, bring your own chihuahuas…

You cant eat your fricken pets …what would PETA think…PETA would bomb your ass by making the cows and 4 legged barnyard animals have hoove rot…

Hmmm…thats why your breath has a cross between shit and garlic…

OK…you can stay sorry for trying to vote you off the island…theres lots of places you can go for a rub and tug and the last place I would recommend is the Chambers of City hall.

Hey one thing we still have left in common is a defeciting karma rating…
Your getting treaded on…fight back…

how do you raise or lower someones karma anyways?

and sheesh… does every topic have to turn into a pissing contest  :unamused:

“No pet chickerns” and “Keep livestock off the island”.

Way before I was born, and probably you, there were horses and cows on the Island, and a real dairy farm.  But the Ford was just on the verge of invention and milk didn’t come in plastic jugs.

As a kid I remember a chicken farm out on the far end of 11th Ave East, a pig farm (no relation to the Picktons) in what is now the Industrial Site, and even a mink ranch located on what is now the Wildlife Shelter (yeah I know I’m dating myself).  Would be interesting to know why these industries went defunct.  Climate or bylaws?

[quote=“P.LAO”]Where does that vegetable come from? I wonder if the Chinese garlic you ate tonight was fertilized with human feces? What kind of toxic fumigants were used to keep those green beans pest free on the container trip from who knows?
[/quote]

I think that’s quite degrading on several counts. First, the standards of quality that must be met by shippers from out of the country are the same as someone growing their vegetables in Smithers and selling them at the farmers market. Second, lots of the animal products, mainly beef, we find at the grocery store is born and raised in Canada.

Also, how the heck do you think you’re going to keep your food safe to eat if you grow it yourself? Farmers who provide us with food for a living are slightly more expert at it than you are I think—I’m pretty sure if they do something to the things they’re selling there’s a good reason for it.

eccentric says:

“the standards of quality that must be met by shippers from out of the country are the same as someone growing their vegetables in Smithers and selling them at the farmers market”

I say:

Tell that to the children with lead painted toys and to the people whose pets died from contaminated food. The list goes on…Still trust Health Canada and CFIA? How much do you think Big Brother can possibly check before it gets on your plate? Especially food products with a minimal shelf life.

eccentric says:

“lots of the animal products, mainly beef, we find at the grocery store is born and raised in Canada”

I say:

Beef is good. But I want hormone and antobiotic free meat. Who raised that beef? Who checked that beef? What sicko fed that cow ground up people a la Pickton? How much of Willy’s bacon was sent to market and sat next to your eggs with CFIA’s secular blessing? mmmm. Still have blind faith in the system, eccentric?

eccentric says:

“how the heck do you think you’re going to keep your food safe to eat if you grow it yourself?”

I say:

I’ll take my chances and the responsibility the way our ancestors did.

Also,

eccentric, if you’re absolutely against growing things, you can still consume what you currently do. I haven’t said close down the grocery stores…yet.

I’ve thought about the hoof rot issue. Don’t deer have hooves? THey seem to do well here.

Things I’ve noticed that grow well here: berries, rhubbarb, beans, carrots, potatoes and other root type veggies. I imagine cabbgae and broccolli would do well. Besides, we could erect green houses and grow bananas.

But I do agree, PR’s climate isn’t the greatest for growing many things such as tomatoes.

We do need recycling pick up. I heard there were once drop-ff bins by the civic centre but people turned it into a second landfill. It’s closer than Wantage rd.

And Kim Jong-il, you’re small time gangster. Merci.

Yeah, the streets are just strewn with sick and dead people from all this contaminated food. And all this time I thought it was Soylent Green.

Every thread made by P.LAO turns into a pissing contest.

Well, he wanted a pissing contest apparently.

:unamused:

:cry: theres no buttons under the avatar…

maybe P.LAO likes this whole over reaction thing a little too much…
i say… calm down!

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

:cry: theres no buttons under the avatar…[/quote]

Oops, I mean over my avatar.  :wink:

[quote]maybe P.LAO likes this whole over reaction thing a little too much…
i say… calm down![/quote]

Maybe or just only a troll.

But his whining just made it worth bugging him.

maybe you have to have a certian amount of posts before you can give karma or somthing
cause i cant… theres nothing there for me to click

HAHAH…of course you cant give your self applause clownio…
Under some one elses you either Applaud…which makes karma go up…or BOO whicj makes it go down.

[quote=“mcsash”]
Under some one elses you either Applaud…which makes karma go up…or BOO whicj makes it go down.[/quote]

well mcsash, I don’t have any buttons to boo or applaud you - or anyone else for that matter.

maybe bubba is onto something - do we need a certain number of posts to get that fancy little option…or do we need to download application or other…???

I can see everyone’s karma, posted over their avatars, but none of them are ‘clickable’.