Rupert soldier injured in Afghanistan

tinyurl.com/j26ab

(from the “A Town Called Podunk” blog)

Crazy!!!1 :open_mouth:

Is this Mark Taylor the one who graduated from CHSS (class of 2000?)

*Canadian killed in Afghanistan
Crash of armoured vehicle kills one, injures seven in Kandahar
Mar. 2, 2006. 05:15 PM
CANADIAN PRESS

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — Rocket-propelled grenades and roadside bombs get everyone’s attention, but it is the motor vehicle accident that is killing and maiming more Canadian troops in Afghanistan.

The pattern was repeated again today when a 21-tonne armoured vehicle collided with a taxi, swerved into a ditch and flipped, killing Cpl. Paul Davis of Bridgewater, N.S., and injuring seven other people.

Two of the wounded soldiers are in serious condition. Canadian doctors sent Pte. Miguel Chavez, originally of El Salvador, to a U.S.-run hospital in Landstuhl, Germany. Master Cpl. Timothy Wilson of Grande Prairie, Alta., was the other soldier in critical condition.

Canadian officials suggested the taxi might have failed to yield at an intersection, triggering the accident.

In the weeks since Canada beefed up its presence in Afghanistan, at least 11 people have been injured in three military vehicle accidents compared to one injury in an attack.

Members of Bravo Company of the Second Batallion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry based in Shilo, Man., have suffered most of the recent casualties.

“Right now it seems like we’re having some bad luck,â€*

Who’s marktaylor?

Would you highlight Mark Taylor in the article please, MiG?

Useless…

Wow, that’s crazy. He didn’t seem like the kind of guy to be in the Canadian Forces. I used to hang out with Mark all the time. Playing pool at the Fuzzy Monkey and C&C Red Alert / Duke Nukem at Wizards or whatever, near Zellers there. Infact, we did Islandman Triatholon together in grade 8, or something… Hopefully he’s ok.

We placed 3rd I believe…

Holy crap. I grew up with his sister and last I heard of him a few years ago was he was joining the military. I guess he got in.

I’m glad to know he’s ok… his family still lives here.

[quote]Last November, a Canadian soldier was killed and four were injured when a LAV-III swerved to avoid a civilian vehicle and ran off a road near Kandahar.
[/quote]

Gotta learn from the Yanks. Doesn’t matter if it’s a busload of nuns, you don’t swerve armour. You make black & white & red all over jokes, and keep going.

Mark graded in 2001. Year before me.

Mark and Bartek always talked about getting into the army and glad to see they got what they wanted. and glad mark is ok. hopefully he comes home for x-mas next year and we can talkin to him.

bed now

Since he is from this area, dont ya think we should send him some cards? Snail main or elecro cards. Hmmmm? I’m sure he would appreciate that, and if someone can find an email address to that general area.

That’s a great idea meowth, as I’m sure he would be delighted to hear from those of you who know him, and others who don’t but recognize his contribution. I’m wondering if he will be up for some kind of award or medal? Like in the U.S. all military personel injured in the line of duty receive the purple heart.

[quote=“timbits”]Mark graded in 2001. Year before me.

Mark and Bartek always talked about getting into the army and glad to see they got what they wanted. and glad mark is ok. hopefully he comes home for x-mas next year and we can talkin to him.

bed now[/quote]

Were you wasted when you wrote this, Tim?

Maybe this is a place to start.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/community/messageboard/index_e.asp

[quote] Sending post cards

If you do not know the name, rank and section of the person you are sending the post card to, please use the following address:
Any Canadian Soldier
OP ARCHER
PO Box 5058 Stn Forces
Belleville ON K8N 5W6
Sending post cards, letters or parcels

If you know the name, rank and section* of the person you are sending the post card, letter or parcel to, please use the following address:

OP ARCHER (5058)
Name / Rank
OP ARCHER
PO Box 5058 Stn Forces
Belleville ON K8N 5W6

Top of Page[/quote]

Uh, Nothing against the guy and I’m sure he’s doing a good job and all, but should someone get a medal because the vehicle they were in hit a cab and rolled off the road?

I have a good friend who served in Vietnam with the U.S. Military ( he’s now a Canadian citizen ) Who was serving on a fire base ( Artillery support ) and they came under mortar fire while a few of them were smoking a joint and a seed in the pot went off, he got hot ash in his eye and needed medical attention and he ended up with a purple heart out the deal because they were under fire at the time.

[quote=“poolboy”]

Uh, Nothing against the guy and I’m sure he’s doing a good job and all, but should someone get a medal because the vehicle they were in hit a cab and rolled off the road?[/quote]

The point is, he was on duty. He was in a vehicle driving in a foreign land while serving in the canadian military. He got injured.

[quote=“BigThumb”]

Uh, Nothing against the guy and I’m sure he’s doing a good job and all, but should someone get a medal because the vehicle they were in hit a cab and rolled off the road?

The point is, he was on duty. He was in a vehicle driving in a foreign land while serving in the canadian military. He got injured.[/quote]

Yeah, but he still shouldn’t be honored the same way as a guy who was injured while under fire, should he? There should be a distinction, otherwise it kind of shorts the guy who was hurt fighting.

Only on HTMF!

[quote=“poolboy”]

[quote=“timbits”]Mark graded in 2001. Year before me.

bed now[/quote]

Were you wasted when you wrote this, Tim?[/quote]

:laughing:

“bed now”

Favorite part of his statement.