Rumours regarding sheila gordon payne not accepting seat?

It doesn’t matter to me who the Liberal candidate is as I’ll be working to re-elect Gary in May.

LOL
Yeah one never quite knows… Don will likely resurface some where…
I doubt the liberals want him though…  I really thought he’d get in, but it’s history and I hope for the best from Jack…

I could never vote for BC Liberals I dont care who runs for them…

Too bad… it’s not like the NDP and gary coons have actually accomplished anything for Prince Rupert

Campbells cuts to the poor plus tons more are why I wont vote for them

but she hasnt been sworn in yet so wouldnt it go to Tony

I agree.  The NDP left the province in a mess when they were ousted.  I disagree with some of what the Liberals have done but I’ll pick them as the lesser of two evils.

I hear that a lot. However I distinctly remember that our town did not consist mainly of boarded up shops and winos stumbling around downtown.

? when the liberals or the NDP was in?

They mean bc parties…not the feds

Does anyone know the full story about the fast ferry scandal?

it is a rumor Sheila did not step down I talked to Nelson KInney and he said it is a prince rumor.

Thanks for the update…

Go Sheila Go … 

The BC Liberals inherited a forest industry in disarray including the pine beetle epidemic which was initially mismanaged by the NDP government.  At least the Liberals have tried to encourage growth.  The mining industry, which was near death under the NDP, has been somewhat revived.  You speak of boarded up shops in Northern BC.  Lifting the moratorium on offshore oil exploration could go a long way in curing that.  Nathan Cullen recently stated that as our MP he would fight against lifting the moratorium while Gordon Campbell is working towards lifting it.  It just seems to me that many of the same people who are complaining about the economy are the same ones who are fighting against things like offshore oil, coalbed methane, the effects of wind farms on the environment, etc.  If the ecomomy is to turn around we need to explore some of these options and the fact that they are not being explored is not the fault of our provoincial government.

Those that are pushing for more oil exploration ignore the fact that these companies have capped many producing wells in order not to lower the price per barrel, and to stockpile for future use.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to encourage alternate energy sources to reduce our use of more polluting energy sources? (Granted that all current energy sources pollute in varing degrees.)

I’m not going to argue whether each of these options is good or not.  The point is that our provincial government has been trying to stimulate the economy in the North but are being handicapped by environmental pressures.  At least they are trying.  How else does one expect them to turn the economy around up here?

[quote=“Paper Pusher”]
You speak of boarded up shops in Northern BC.  Lifting the moratorium on offshore oil exploration could go a long way in curing that.  [/quote]

OK - I’ll bite.

Explain exactly how you think this would happen. Explain how local economy would benefit from offshore oil and gas.

Just look at what is going on in Alberta for an example.  Many jobs would be created and these types of industrial operations require a great amount of support and services.  Hopefully the oil companies and their service providers would set up locations in our area providing jobs and tax dollars to us. There are reports stating that the economc benefit to BC’s North Coast may be minimal and there also also reports that state that this could be the way to go.

I don’t know for certain but my point was that our provincial government is trying to improve our economy in our region.  We have to rely our resources for our economy and costantly closing the door on opportunity will only cause more shop owners to board up the winows in their stores as well.

bclocalnews.com/business/33733189.html