Rumours regarding sheila gordon payne not accepting seat?

Has anyone heard that Sheila didn’t accept her seat and that Tony got in instead?

I’ve heard this as well.

I truly hope this is only a rumour.

Yea, it’s a rumour. CivicInfo has their totals wrong–at least, they don’t match what the City has on its website. She’s accepted the seat.

I believe this is an area which would call for a BIG QUESTION as to the purpose and if Tony did not get elected then have some sort of runoff and I believe that Erica should have a say in this one. Bad rumor and I hope it is not so.

Good to hear, eccentric.

Good.

If she gave away her seat to Tony I would definitely smack her… or the voodoo doll.

I had heard about this rumor as well.  What I had heard was that she did not want to be on a council with Mussallem as Mayor.  Sounds dumb, but that is what was going around.

I believe that Sheila is a bigger person than that.  Furthermore, Sheila has no choice to accept the seat.  Once you file your nomination papers, and the deadline passes, you are official in the election.  In order for Sheila to step down now, she would have to resign and we would be in a bi-election.  Tony would not automatically be elected.

As Eccentric pointed out - its just a silly rumour!  And Eccentric really ought to know on this one! :smile: 

Besides, even if a person elected to council, for whatever reason, decided to not accept the seat at the council table, it could not pass to the next person on the list.  There would have to be a by-election.  This occured in Lake Country (district municipality) where a person had to resign their council seat after being elected and not sworn in and the only provision available was to hold a by-election. 

Also, I believe that the District Municipality also attempted to recover the costs of the by-election - though I don’t think that they were successful at that time in recovering the costs of the by-election!

Well if that was indeed true, you would think she might have thought over her options before the election as uh, there were only two candidates running for mayor, so 50/50 chance of having to serve with one of the them eh…

Plus someone with that many campaign signs around town isn’t going to refuse their seat just because someone they may or may not disagree with got in.

Sheesh the rumours that fly around this town…

LOL Prince Rumour at it again…
Mind you I do wonder how Jack and Sheila will jive…
But yeah with all those signs and effort she knew there was a 50/50 chance …
good to know that there would be a bi election…Tony would not just take it

GO Sheila GO

I heard that she step down and TOny got her seat

Can she step down and Tony just take over or is a bi election required as someone suggested earlier…??
Sheila did so well, it’s a shame to see her walk… 

No, it doesn’t work like that.  She can resign, but there has to be a by-election…

Oh I hate the thought of another election but glad to hear

I still hope she stays on… She has to be a bigger person than that…

Again, it’s a rumour–she never has and still does not have any intention to relinquish her seat.

Lets hope you are correct…  I dont want to vote again until Herb and Coons this spring…

LOL what makes you think it will be Coons and Herb, Don Scott has some free time on his hands…