Router

A couple of months ago I bought an Apple wireless router ( finally-eh jase!-) . Now I’m thinking of changing my internet service with Rogers to get a faster connection. The new service must be used through a Cisco modem/wireless router. The salesperson told me that I didn’t need to use my Apple router anymore if I got the Cisco router and that if I connected the Apple to the Cisco with an cable, this to still use it as the wireless router, it would slow down my connection.

Should I go with the new service and sell the Apple router? Should I keep it and use it plugged into the Cisco?
I think the Cisco is a D3NH Gateway ( or something similar).

Depends :smile:

One of the routers will give out internal addresses. You don’t want both of them doing it. Can you get into the Apple one and tell it not to give out addresses? (disable DHCP, ‘bridge mode’ etc).

Don’t worry about the speed thing, that’s bullshit. Unless the internet you’re ordering is 400megabit or something.

I have 4 different wireless networks in my house. Including a mesh network :smile: Can’t have too many.

hehe I switched from ADSL to 10 Meg Cable, when the citytel technition came over to install it, he looks at my set up and says " you cant do that" I was not home but the wife was and she didnt now what to tell him… I 2 have 4 wireless routers running plus a dlink gigabite switch near the TV… I laughed when she told me…
My Main router is a Linksys 350N I got from you MiG, plus a lynksys e3000 and two linksys wrt160n all with DD-WRT. the last two are wirless extenders to the 3 floor bedrooms…

if you can live with an additional half a millisecond of latency (maybe less) then setting it up in bridge mode/disabling the dhcp server on the apple router like mig said will work for you… if you can’t handle the extra half millisecond of latency then I’d like to know just what exactly you do with your computers.

So, Bigthumb, just get them to set it up the way they want to set it up. If it works for you, then great!

Then maybe a week or two after they set it up, you can connect the Apple router via ethernet, turn off DHCP, and make a second wireless network (automatic channel, or pick a different channel than your Cisco one). Call the second network “Bigthumb’s private network” or something.

At one point I had like 8 or 9 SSIDs going, just to mess with the neighbours. Networks named like “I’m 40% wifi, baby!” and stuff like that.

Now I’m using this stuff: open-mesh.com/ works great.

Still drowning out the smart meter too, the meter reader has to come by in person :smile:

Hey, speaking of BC Hydro still manually reading the smart meters… sorry for the thread hijacking, but…

This guy doesn’t look too happy:

It’s ok, though, he stopped to take a leak on the side of my street:

http://i.imgur.com/MuKVhl.jpg

Then he seemed a bit happier.

[quote=“MiG”]

Still drowning out the smart meter too, the meter reader has to come by in person :smile:[/quote]

This is another topic but good! fuck them, buy licensed spectrum if you want your shit to work. I still haven’t built my Faraday cage because i’ve been too busy/I’m sure hydro would be pissed and it may be against electrical code (ill have to check my book).

On a SSID related note I think I’m going to rename my networks citywest and telus so people out here think you can get “internet” out here and start calling and harassing both citywest and telus and maybe set up a couple at my parents place too.

Thread jacking another direction (move it if you want) this is what citywest should have been (and was under the citytel brand):

tech.slashdot.org/story/12/09/23 … ber-speeds

sadly they have become comcast of the north instead (oh you want to actually USE the internet? that costs extra) . In addition to providing high speed access at fair rates they should have been providing it to locations that otherwise wouldnt have had it. When I called citywest about internet at the new place they said they are aware of high demand “out there” but have no plans to expand… Sounds like a great business decision.

edit:

lol@hydro guy pissing on your street. It’s ok I pissed on their building numerous times, its even.

That mesh network stuff looks pretty sweet. I might have to do something like that at home. I could use a better spread of wifi in my home, and if it also can drown out a smart meter that seems like a positive…lol

[quote=“MiG”]

Still drowning out the smart meter too, the meter reader has to come by in person :smile:[/quote]

LOL. That is awesome :smile: Your Kung Fu is the best!

Yeah, I have 3 nodes, which cover the house nicely. And two networks over those nodes. I try to separate the TV & streaming traffic from the normal traffic. There’s also the fail-safe aspect – you can connect your mesh to more than one ISP, so that when Citywest goes down, it uses Telus, etc.

It’s not really meant for a house, but I wanted to play with the stuff and figure it all out, so I ordered 3 routers and set it up. Would be great for a neighbourhood LAN. Put one of these in each house, and they’d all connect to each other.

It’s amazingly affordable. $80 for a router and like $20 per node. Affordable even if all you are doing it for is to durdle around with it to learn the tech.

It’s just $80 per router, no need for the per-node stuff. Where do you see that? I have more than 20 nodes, that would be expensive!

They’re also nice to bridge a LAN or a wired network. So if you have a device (or switch) that is ethernet only, plug one of these mesh babies into it, and voila, it’s automagically connected to your other devices on your network, wired or wireless.

You manage everything from cloudtrax (iPhone & iPad apps available too):

http://i.imgur.com/bf8Bvl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nnCfcl.jpg

I ordered mine from a Canadian distributor, here in BC: open-mesh.ca – doesn’t seem to be loading right now, though.

Thats what I get for skimming. I was looking at the enclosure for the routers. Those are $20…lol

[quote=“MiG”]So, Bigthumb, just get them to set it up the way they want to set it up. If it works for you, then great!

Then maybe a week or two after they set it up, you can connect the Apple router via ethernet, turn off DHCP, and make a second wireless network (automatic channel, or pick a different channel than your Cisco one). Call the second network “Bigthumb’s private network” or something.

At one point I had like 8 or 9 SSIDs going, just to mess with the neighbours. Networks named like “I’m 40% wifi, baby!” and stuff like that.

Now I’m using this stuff: open-mesh.com/ works great.

I haven’t done anything yet. I don’t think they will come set it up for me as they just told me to bring in the old modem and get the new one if I decide to upgrade to the faster service. I can’t say I understood all of your instructions but I’m sure, once I set it up, I will see what you mean. If not, there’s always htmf;-) I will probably get this done in the next couple of weeks.
Also, remind me not to take a leak when you’re around!

[quote=“MiG”]

Yeah, I have 3 nodes, which cover the house nicely. And two networks over those nodes. I try to separate the TV & streaming traffic from the normal traffic. There’s also the fail-safe aspect – you can connect your mesh to more than one ISP, so that when Citywest goes down, it uses Telus, etc.

It’s not really meant for a house, but I wanted to play with the stuff and figure it all out, so I ordered 3 routers and set it up. Would be great for a neighbourhood LAN. Put one of these in each house, and they’d all connect to each other.[/quote]

I use one EAP9550, covers the whole house, plus 3 ssid’s and vlans.

engeniustech.com/business-ne … gn-and-poe

This is a nice cheap solution too 220$ gets yuo 3 ap’s with up to 4 ssid’s and vlans…

ubnt.com/unifi

jase thanks for the links those look very cool I love the fact that they blend into the household surroundings. I played with the setting in my DD-WRT routers and set 2 of them up to Mesh (WDS) the speeds were 1/2 that to the main router over the WiFi but once I plugged in a computer the speeds were far less not sure why, never the less I went back to using them as Repeater Bridge’s…

The Ubiquity stuff is way better. Great interface, dd-wrt’d a couple but their native interface is far better.

No problem. They make great stuff, and the price is perfect too. I tried the dd-wrt and didn’t like it to much, i wasn’t in for buying crappy linksys routers etc etc and putting firmware on them etc etc. Rather just buy the right product less problems and easier to trouble shoot, 3rd party software = blah!

I’ve setup a few of those units, all the in laws have an "untangle’ firewall at their houses too. NOW i don’t get phones calls about virus repairs spyware and ad’s all over their webpages etc etc. Set one up last year still running perfectly till this day under the desk. They really like not getting all that junk male with male penis enlargements :smile: good for protecting the kids from stuff they shouldn’t be getting to also.