Rice should resign

Well all of the work she has done for the city and not knowing her fate come election , I think that she should contiue with WWF and carry on being a Wrestler .

According to bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws … #section37

quote In addition to the authority under subsection (2), a council may decide that a by- election is not to be held if all the following circumstances apply:

(a) the vacancy occurs after January 1 in the year of a general local election that will fill the office;

(b) the vacancy is not in an office elected on the basis of a neighbourhood constituency;

© the number of remaining council members is at least one greater than the quorum for the council, as set under section 129 (1) [quorum for conducting business] of the Community Charter.[/quote]

Maybe she’s trying to hold off to spare the city the cost a by-election by waiting to resign on January 2, 2014? Pure speculation, of course.

Please tell me where “All the work” is being done.

The council meetings are public they are also broadcast on the Community Channel.

I don’t see much “work” being done , she seems never to have read the pre-meeting package that all councillors get, is generally unprepared for the meetings and contributes little to the debate/discussion at the Council Meeting Level.

Unless there is backroom or off camera work that gets done where she shines, I see an ineffective Councillor.

^^Totally agree…where is this “work” that has been done by our miracle worker Councillor Rice? I agree she always seems unprepared and doesn’t really seem to know what she is doing…she seems out of her league on council…I very much regret voting for her.

What a bunch of bull…this council has really done a good job of doing diddly squat…besides reducing grants/taxes to service groups (that saves less than 1% of overall taxes yet is make or break to these groups), sending letters to the View blasting the Port of Prince Rupert (collectively responsible for well over 1200 of the highest paying jobs in this city), raising taxes, continuing to refuse to address real problems facing the city (emergency buildings ect), asking for profit sharing from RTI (lol!!)…so again I ask what hard work?

[quote=“bthedog”]^^Totally agree…where is this “work” that has been done by our miracle worker Councillor Rice? I agree she always seems unprepared and doesn’t really seem to know what she is doing…she seems out of her league on council…I very much regret voting for her.

What a bunch of bull…this council has really done a good job of doing diddly squat…besides reducing grants/taxes to service groups (that saves less than 1% of overall taxes yet is make or break to these groups), sending letters to the View blasting the Port of Prince Rupert (collectively responsible for well over 1200 of the highest paying jobs in this city), raising taxes, continuing to refuse to address real problems facing the city (emergency buildings ect), asking for profit sharing from RTI (lol!!)…so again I ask what hard work?[/quote]

Totally agree…Right now I’m finding all politicians a joke, from the Federal level down to city.

That is basicly it she has done shit and if she tries to carry a quarter of what Mr. Coons has given us she will burn out . Stick to Wrestling .

[quote=“Justin Case”]

That is basicly it she has done shit and if she tries to carry a quarter of what Mr. Coons has given us she will burn out . Stick to Wrestling .[/quote]

Cut the girl some slack. She has only been on Council a short amount of time and no doubt there is a learning curve to be had and time to feel comfortable in the new role. Its also not fair to compare her with Gary Coons at this point either. Maybe she’ll feel empowered as the sole representative of the people in the riding rather than sitting on a committee of peers in the municipal setting. At least let her get elected and have some time as MLA before tearing her apart. She’s one of us - a valuable and contributing member of the community - lighten up.

Sincerely,

A card carrying member of the Liberal Party

At 15 months into a 36 month term, there should be a glimmer of comprehension there.
How much longer do we have to wait ?

[quote=“leroy”]At 15 months into a 36 month term, there should be a glimmer of comprehension there.
How much longer do we have to wait ?[/quote]

A glimmer of comprehension? I don’t understand. Could you please elaborate?

You’re right, 15 months into a 36 month term. I’ve never run or been voted into an elected position but I think it’s fair to say that no one gets equipped with a magic wand when they’re elected. Just look at Obama in the US. He was elected with all sorts of fanfare and was questioned about his lack of results prior to being re-elected. Ultimately the voters decided that he needed more time. With that, I don’t believe that 15 months is long enough to make a fair judgement. Just my thoughts. I didn’t even vote for her but I certainly don’t have any complaints either. I applaud anyone willing to step up and into public service.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

[quote=“leroy”]At 15 months into a 36 month term, there should be a glimmer of comprehension there.
How much longer do we have to wait ?[/quote]

You’re right, 15 months into a 36 month term. I’ve never run or been voted into an elected position but I think it’s fair to say that no one gets equipped with a magic wand when they’re elected. Just look at Obama in the US. He was elected with all sorts of fanfare and was questioned about his lack of results prior to being re-elected. Ultimately the voters decided that he needed more time. With that, I don’t believe that 15 months is long enough to make a fair judgement. Just my thoughts. I didn’t even vote for her but I certainly don’t have any complaints either. I applaud anyone willing to step up and into public service.[/quote]

Sit through a few council meetings.

[quote=“leroy”]

You’re right, 15 months into a 36 month term. I’ve never run or been voted into an elected position but I think it’s fair to say that no one gets equipped with a magic wand when they’re elected. Just look at Obama in the US. He was elected with all sorts of fanfare and was questioned about his lack of results prior to being re-elected. Ultimately the voters decided that he needed more time. With that, I don’t believe that 15 months is long enough to make a fair judgement. Just my thoughts. I didn’t even vote for her but I certainly don’t have any complaints either. I applaud anyone willing to step up and into public service.

Sit through a few council meetings.[/quote]

Hey Leroy I have a great Idea. Maybe you should run for City Council to get the changes that you want taken care off.

[quote=“Incognito”]Why don’t all of you fu**en bitching about our council maybe run for it yourself. This site is only used for people to complain ha ha ha.

I truly hope that Jennifer Rice stays on council so you guys can have something else to complain about.[/quote]

I think these moronic “you should run for (whatever politiical position) yourself” comments should be automatically deleted because A) there may well be people commenting who have run, and B) people who run for office must accept public scrutiny as part of the job and the public is entitled to hold them to the standard the job demands.

[quote=“drummerboy”]
I think these moronic “you should run for (whatever politiical position) yourself” comments should be automatically deleted because A) there may well be people commenting who have run, and B) people who run for office must accept public scrutiny as part of the job and the public is entitled to hold them to the standard the job demands.[/quote]

We don’t delete comments just because someone doesn’t like them or disagrees with them.

Though moderators will move stuff to the wasteland if needed.

“you should run for office yourself” is a valid comment, even if we all disagree with it. “you should run for office, you assholes” isn’t.

Actually, no, “you should run for office” is not a valid comment, as it is not sound or logical. But, you’re right, if all moronic comments were deleted, this site would be very small.

Right, in your opinion it’s not a valid comment. So if we were to “automatically delete” anything that, in your opinion, wasn’t sound or logical, it would be just you talking to yourself here.

So instead of asking for it to be deleted, you should do exactly what you’ve done – tell them why you don’t agree.

[quote=“MiG”]

So instead of asking for it to be deleted, you should do exactly what you’ve done – tell them why you don’t agree.[/quote]

… or just ignore them. Moronic comments are not worth the bother.

Yeah, that’s probably even better.

Or hit the ‘report’ button on the post.

In the case of the post you quoted, drummerboy, it was moved to the wasteland. But now lives on in your quote :smile: You’ve called attention to someone who probably just posted that to call attention to themselves. BTravenn is right – just ignore them.

Yeah, I didn’t honestly think that his comment would or, even, should be deleted. It was more of a wish, that there would be some kind of limit, an expiration date on these oft-repeated but mindless arguments.

Isn’t all of this a bit off topic. Lets get back on topic of the thread.

[quote=“leroy”]

Sit through a few council meetings.[/quote]

I was looking for something with a little more substance. I watch some of the meetings but not all. What have I been missing that you feel so strongly about?