Receeding ice caps

So you have empirical evidence of what you say don’t you?  You’re ready to stop arguing with us and actually enter the big league and publish your evidence in Science or Nature are you?  Good for you. 

By the way, here is what you said in the post I quoted:

All in the same paragraph, two sentences.  It was very easy to misunderstand your comment.  You start by talking about the last 100 thousand years and you follow with three facts that seemingly happened during that time period.  So if the last two facts ( magnetic poles and tilt) have nothing to do with the time period, what’s their relevance to your argument?
You see, you and others in this thread seem to think that because I tend to agree more with the majority of scientists on this issue, I’m a drone programmed to say yes to Big Brother.  That’s the problem.  You think belief, I think evidence.  Global warming isn’t a religion that one must believe in.  It is an effect that has been studied and is generally accepted to be accelerating because of human causes.  That’s what the empirical evidence show. 
You probably have a few websites or articles that criticize this findings but how many of them would pass the double check system? 
Anecdotal evidence is good to give someone a hunch about making an hypothesis but it isn’t sufficient to refute or accept it.
Statistics in science don’t have the same leeway as statistics in social studies or economics.  Data must be tested in order to achieve the status of “statistically significant”.  For example, this can help decide if new drugs are accepted or rejected. The correlation between the use of the drug and the healing of a certain illness must be pretty strong in order for the drug to be accepted as a medication.  The placebo effect has to be contolled as well as any other factors that could affect the result.  Try to publish anecdotal evidence for one of those miracle cures in the New England Journal of Medecine and you’ll see how people will ask you to do empirical studies.

globalclimatescam.com/

Is that it?  That’s your evidence?  Then I don’t think it’s worth to keep on debating. 
But just for your information, this is a blog that works hard at disproving global warming instead of having empirical evidence. 

But, at the risk of being called for an ad hominem, who are they and what is their agenda? 

Well the website (http://www.globalclimatescam.com/?page_id=2) says that it is a project of a group called the “Minnesota Majority”
I’ll let you read about that group so that you can see that they are probably more conservative than Bush when it comes to  issues, one of which would be global warming since it would impact the money their donators probably make.

theflatearthsociety.org/

:smiley:

[quote=“BigThumb”]
Well the website (http://www.globalclimatescam.com/?page_id=2) says that it is a project of a group called the “Minnesota Majority”
I’ll let you read about that group so that you can see that they are probably more conservative than Bush when it comes to  issues, one of which would be global warming since it would impact the money their donators probably make.[/quote]

You are correct, BigThumb, the website “Minnesota Majority” that you linked to is a conservative group, very much right-of-center.  Here is a direct quote taken from that site:

This group has a clear political agenda.

I think most groups are that way!! they have their own agenda whether you are for it or not.

group A we are against the right to choose,

group B we think people should have a right to choose for themselves.

Group c I will decide what you can do and at what time and with whom.

group C and Group A are really the same…

:stuck_out_tongue:

“She blinded me with Science”–Thomas Dolby

“The facts are simple,” says Charles K. Johnson, president of the International Flat Earth Research Society. “The earth is flat.”

lhup.edu/~dsimanek/fe-scidi.htm

Mig I’m curious.
Do you ever read or watch the evidence and the counter arguments anyone else posts?
Or are you just arguing for the sake of argument?

Hey, believe it or not, I actually watched a couple of those Bob Carter videos.

So his basic premise is that the Earth isn’t warming at all, it’s actually cooling.  Do you agree with that premise, Nauticalpixel, or did you just post the videos to give us an assignment :wink:

Yes, I do watch and read.  But I don’t accept blindly, I actually think about them.

For example, I read the article you posted, including the parts that contradicted Abdussamatov’s hypothesis.  For example, if solar activity has a direct influence on Earth’s climate, then climate change should correlate with recorded solar activity.  It doesn’t.

So let me ask you a question:  do you accept Abdussamatov’s hypothesis that the Earth’s warming is caused by solar activity?

It’s not a premise or an opinion it is what the DATA is showing.

And as for accepting that it’s all about solar activity. Regardless of that fact, the fact is, I truly don’t think that all of this global warming crap is all because of humans. Yes we’ve played a role in it, yes we need to watch how we treat the land we live on because disrespect for nature is abundant in this day in age. BUT to blame it soley on us, and have us pay loads of CARBON TAXES because of it is completely stupid…

Hellooooo, what do you exhale every few seconds… CARBON DIOXIDE!!!

And Mig, if you are the big kahuna scientist who knows all, then you, of all people, should have some form of retort for the scientist in the videos.
Or is this all about disproving ME? And watching me falter in my statement and not really about the argument at all?

Is Monday night gaming on, Couse I need to kill something…lol…

parts of of this planet are cooler other are hotter, gee wiz go figure. fricken coconuts used to grow up north there is fricken exotic petrified plants under the ice of antarctic…

who cares you guys are both right, humans have sped things along and the planet beats to its own drum weather and climate changes every few hundred years. :stuck_out_tongue:

So you do accept that the Earth is warming, though?   You’re saying that the data shows that the Earth’s temperature is increasing?

The article I posted in response (the one on the BBC site) says that the data doesn’t support Abdussamatov’s assertions at all.   But I guess we’ll just have to disagree on that point.

But I am curious to know whether you accept that there is warming happening or not.

I really wish you guys didn’t take this so seriously.  At least don’t take it personally.  I mean I know astrothug in real life (and he frequently kicks my butt at CoD), and I know that I’m ok with him not agreeing with me.  It’s not the end of the world.

And yeah, regular CoD tomorrow night.

I contend that the depletion and subsequent restoration of the ozone layer had nothing to do with the haphazard disposal of chlorofluorocarbons. It was just a coincidence.

^ this is what I global warming deniers sound like to me.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]
And Mig, if you are the big kahuna scientist who knows all, then you, of all people, should have some form of retort for the scientist in the videos.[/quote]

I’m not a big kahuna scientist.  Don’t do the ad hominem thing, it diminishes your arguments.

Bob Carter (in the videos) doesn’t believe there’s any global warming at all.  He thinks there’s cooling going on. 

Abdussamatov thinks there is a heck of a lot of warming going on, but he thinks the solar activity is causing it.

They contradict each other.  So if you “believe” Carter, then Abdussamatov has to be wrong, and vice-versa.

Not at all, don’t take it that way. 

Why does it have to be about believing one thing or another. I was, simply, bringing a new point of view out there.
Bringing a different type of awareness. Come on people break out of your shells.
Research other things. Look at different points of view, different scientific theories.

BE AWARE!!

cool thanks MiG, its all good I think in away its good people get worked up into a frenzy hehe it adds some excitement to our dull lives living under the oppression of big brother… :smiley: