Re: Wild Life

[quote=“Astro”]
he Eagle feeding is a bit different as there is NO LAW about feeding bird foul, if there was we would have to get rid of all those bird feeders, there is however laws that are in place that say its illegal to bait Eagles and other birds with Fish, or salmon. [/quote]

I may be wrong, but I though the law said you’re not supposed to feed “dangerous” wildlife.  

Depends if one considers eagles “dangerous” or not.  

Edit:  A couple of seconds with google and I found the Wildlife act, which says

"33.1  (1) A person who intentionally feeds or attempts to feed dangerous wildlife commits an offence.

(2) A person commits an offence if the person, with the intent of attracting dangerous wildlife to any land or premises, provides, leaves or places in, on or about the land or premises food, food waste or any other substance that could attract dangerous wildlife to the land or premises."

The important word is “dangerous”.  Are eagles considered dangerous or not?

More edit:

"“dangerous wildlife” means

(a) bear, cougar, coyote or wolf, or
(b) a species of wildlife that is prescribed as dangerous wildlife;"

So Bear, Cougar, Coyote or Wolf.  And any other species that is prescribed.  Guess there’s a list somewhere?

Even more editing:  I could have a whole conversation just by myself.

As MiG pointed out there is not much out there regarding feeding bird  fowl, or Eagles.

hancockwildlife.org/article. … FeedEagles

this thread has quite a fowl smell to it can you smell it  :smiley:

LMAO…Baker has Thankfully moved to Edmonton Alberta!!! he i guess now Owns two Boxer’s…Dont know why but yea.I talked to him for some reason about a week ago~
Thankfully he’s not hear.

Warning to all the late walkers at night…my friend is from outta town,and she was down at Mariners Park last night with a fair sized gentlemen and this Wolfe circled them for about 20 minutes while they were trying to walk a way calmly, but Thank Fully their was a Police Officer that was their already looking for this Wolfe already. all they did was scare it off for the night…

Yikes…this is getting dangerous.

:frowning:

I’ve heard of people who advocate yelling and throwing rocks and sticks at the wolves make them leery of humans.

What say you, Astro?

sounds about right to me… but the thing is these guys are habituated to humans, so doing so may not have the same effect as a wild wolf.

they ( the Habituated wolf ) may become more agitated because food is not being offered.  SO STOP FEEDING WOLVES, STOP FEEDING DEER…

It’s sad… as something does need to happen and I think putting them down is the best thing before some stupid human gets hurt. I would hate to see a little child get bit.

but like i said we would have wolves back in town again shortly if they did shoot or trap most of the wolves.

is their no way of rehabilitating them across the harbor somehow or something…at least the ones in town. i really wouldn’t want this to happen, but I dunno what to say. they are not afraid of much anymore due to (like you say) People feeding these wild Wolfs… I do enjoy the wild Life of this country…but Wow…I cant take my dogs out for a walk anymore and they aren’t small dogs either and the wolfs aren’t scared…

Sindicat ya would it not be nice, but these coastal wolves would swim back,  wolves have been spotted on the furthest islands off the coast of BC, some 2 to 10 miles away.  these guys will swim from island to island.

When a wolf looses its fear of humans it will be a matter of time before a tragic accident might happen.

More on relocating wolves, I thought this way a few years ago when I started tracking the wolves around Kaien Island, But as I read more and talked to wolf biologist’s it became more clear to me its better for the pack to take out the offending wolves, you don’t need to kill all the pack members just those that have become habituated to humans or those wolves that frequent town more then the others.

But first the deer population in town needs to be thinned out. with fewer easy to kill deer who are use to seeing humans and dogs, it might be the easiest answer to a difficult problem.

when a black bear comes into town, it is shot right away, even though it may not be habituated, it may be in the wrong place wrong time.

if the police can kill a black bear I don’t see why not they can kill a problem wolf,

I’m sure they may have done that last night at Mariners Park  but not with the cruise ship sitting right in front of them I can imagine the head lines now…

and what those Americans would say, “we seen cops shoot someones poor German shepherd”

But its all good.

I like to think of my self as a wildlife photographer and have taken some good photos of wild animals in their natural surrounding, everything from wolves, Grizzly  bears, killer whales, humpback whales. No baiting was ever needed.

1 photo of a one year old wolf about 1 foot away from camera.

2 photo is the Alpha female sleeping.

1. photo is a 2 year old wolf in the grass

2. a baby wolf only a few months old out of the den site.

I want to photograph a spirit Bear, so if anyone has info sure would appreciate it .

Ya, It would be nice sigh I had whatched a 2 part 2 hour “series” on the north coast wolfs, and they showed how they would swim at kaloya (spelled wrong) to the other side and how they “live” and all this other stuff, and it was a wicked series on them. I understand how they do swim and I only wish their was someway of doing something, but it is a dream :smile: who knows…time will tell I suppose, but it is still good for the warnings where they are and what they are doing :smile:  Cruise ship wasn’t in at the time that this happened. Yes, I know who you are, I ended up buying a couple of your photos of eagles from you a couple years ago and follow your links to your awesome wolf pictures as well.As for the Kermode bears I have heard that Princess Royal Island and Klemtu are the “great” places for the sites… as for terrace and area’s I have been told they can be hard to find…I can keep my ears open :smile:

Always love your photos Dave…Awesome  :smiley: Just happened to look out my kitchen window, live on 11th. East, between Conrad and Alfred.  There was a wolf moving through the construction site across the way, very slowly, just moseying along.  There are quite a few outdoor cats in my area, so a little concerned there and neighbours walking their dogs, off leash of course…Just a warning, it seems we may be running into these fellas in more areas than it seems we have before.  Be careful everyone and keep your cats indoors and your dogs leashed…My 2 cats are actually very restless, I wonder if they sense something or they’re probably just waiting for their bedtime snack  :smile:  At least they won’t be his…

thanks for the warning, i think we should have a forum for “wolf” locations…

on my website i do have a page for documenting sighting. but it only get a few people who have used it.

kaienislandwolves.com/?page_id=12

Back, not to long ago, there was an open pit called the city dump on Wantage Road. It of course attracted lots of local wildlife, including bears. While this was always a concern, I did not hear of any bear hurting human or a pet. Now that the bears have no real habitat to support as many, their numbers have dwindled. This has allowed the wolves to increace thier presence. They have also added something that was not previously in the food chain.
So, getting rid of the habituated bears means I may see a wolf downtown, but prefered it when I could run across a bear gourging on berries.

well I personally knowing what i do about both species of animal;  being in close proximity to both on more then a few occasion’s, a wild animal is just that (a wild unpredictable animal)  

I personally know of 1 person who have been mauled by a bear, and No one who has been attacked by a wolf.

look up the statistics and you will see that bear attacks on humans are far greater then wolf attacks on humans.

Now regarding bears and wolves on the island, I’m sure as many have said in the past wolves have been spotted on the island just as long as there have been people on the island. And by the way Black bear’s still roam the island, but they are wild bears, not habituated bears.

You can blame the habituated wolf problem on humans and not on the equilistic wolves.

Wolf population on the coast has risen not just on our little island, but all up and down the coast of BC, why is that?  is it because the bear population is dwindling down? no its because the coastal wolf is by fare better at adapting to its surrounding habitat. a habitat with close ties to bear populations. there are many streams where you can find bears and wolves fishing the same area, even close to our town.
when we did the wolf scat collecting there was fish protozoa organisms found in the wolf scat. meaning that the local wolves were eating salmon they were catching. In the same streams that bears fish.

In closing you may wish to run across a habituated black bear feeding on berries, then a habituated wolf down town, but the reality of it all is with the rapid consumption of natural landscapes will see more encounters with wild life, whether you like it or not.

Yea I know my uncle out of town has been mauled by a bear as well, and it’s not a pretty site. They only unfortunate thing is that the bear/Wolfe will be the one to suffer in the long run, no matter where it is located :frowning:
I guess that is life…I dunno what else you really say.

Sindicat…Please STOP quoting when the quote itself is right above your head, so to speak…Please…As I said before and I believe it is part of the forum etiquette, we need the space, we have LOTS to say…Thanks… :smiley:

okay, sorry, I posted the two at the same time, and I didnt know that you could “reply” this way, I was told you had to hit the quote for a reply, but thank you and I shall not hit the Quote but. :smile: