Re: Why you should always stomp on a spider!

I Guess I’ll start crushing the life out of the little crawling insects after seeing this little piece of work.

shop.1asecure.com/webpage.cfm?Pa … &StID=1030

Yummy!

snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp

It’s probably not a good idea to stomp on them though – it just kills the weak ones and lets the strong survive. You’re helping them win the great human-spider species war by helping them evolve.

Starship Troopers! Yeah!

I saw the biggest insect ever the other night. It was dark (10:30pm) and I was walking to my car from work and just saw this little thing walking towards me. I got closer and the way it walked - legs out to the side - made me think someone had lost their tarantula. When I got closer I saw it had wings and that this thing was huuuugggeee.

Never seen one before in Terrace, but it was like a supersized version of a grasshopper.

I totally changed the subject there. Spiders are arachnids :wink:

I’m pretty sure what I saw was just a cricket. Like one the size of your hand like you dissect in Biology class.

http://www.jasonzada.com/photos/blog3/crick.jpg

[quote=“ThePodunkian”]I Guess I’ll start crushing the life out of the little crawling insects after seeing this little piece of work.

shop.1asecure.com/webpage.cfm?Pa … &StID=1030[/quote]

necrotizing fasciitis… my roommates mother got bit by a recluse… not a pretty sight. Our garage is FULL of them… all along the ceiling.

[quote=“Delirious”]

[quote=“ThePodunkian”]I Guess I’ll start crushing the life out of the little crawling insects after seeing this little piece of work.

shop.1asecure.com/webpage.cfm?Pa … &StID=1030[/quote]

necrotizing fasciitis… my roommates mother got bit by a recluse… not a pretty sight. Our garage is FULL of them… all along the ceiling.[/quote]

So why don’t you kill something like that?

[quote=“SteveDVS”]I saw the biggest insect ever the other night. It was dark (10:30pm) and I was walking to my car from work and just saw this little thing walking towards me. I got closer and the way it walked - legs out to the side - made me think someone had lost their tarantula. When I got closer I saw it had wings and that this thing was huuuugggeee.

Never seen one before in Terrace, but it was like a supersized version of a grasshopper.[/quote]

Are you sure it wasn’t one of these?

http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/~sjtaylor/cave/mexico/JK/images/ceuthbg.gif

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1992/4-15-1992/crick.html

[quote=“smartass”]

necrotizing fasciitis… my roommates mother got bit by a recluse… not a pretty sight. Our garage is FULL of them… all along the ceiling.

So why don’t you kill something like that?[/quote]

Oh we do, but they just multiply… like Mig said, you kill off the weak ones, and the strong ones survive and evolve. of corse they are much smaller, so over the course of a couple years they can evolve quite rapidly. The ones found in rupert are much larger than the ones found in the southern states… are a result, their fang are larger, and can go deeper into your skin, resulting in serious necrotizing fasciitis.

I have yet to encounter a cave cricket :open_mouth: but I know a couple of people in town who have and it freaked them right out!

Their natural defence mechanism is to jump straight at you… So picture yourself in a dark place, with nothing but a flashlight… and this unidentified creatures jumps at your face… even Arnold would be scared.

Luk awt… eets a killa criiket of d0000m. run run… get to dee choppa.

[quote=“SteveDVS”]I saw the biggest insect ever the other night. It was dark (10:30pm) and I was walking to my car from work and just saw this little thing walking towards me. I got closer and the way it walked - legs out to the side - made me think someone had lost their tarantula. When I got closer I saw it had wings and that this thing was huuuugggeee.

Never seen one before in Terrace, but it was like a supersized version of a grasshopper.[/quote]

In Rupert we have these cave crickets that are similar to what you describe. They are common and found in dark, damp places. Ive been crawling around under a house and come face to face with one as big as my hand. Looks scary but I think our fear of these things comes from watching toomany movies.

I have seen what I think was a very large moth in Terrace. It was huge and am guessing at what it was. I really thought it was a bird at first but it fluttered like a moths but was as big as Robin. Killed the big bastard on the spot. Wasn’t going to give him a chance to get me.

Edit… Just read the rest of the posts and that big bugger that is in teh picture is what I’m talkin about.

[quote=“Delirious”]

Oh we do, but they just multiply… like Mig said, you kill off the weak ones, and the strong ones survive and evolve. of corse they are much smaller, so over the course of a couple years they can evolve quite rapidly. The ones found in rupert are much larger than the ones found in the southern states… are a result, their fang are larger, and can go deeper into your skin, resulting in serious necrotizing fasciitis.[/quote]

Are you sure that they are recluse and not hobo spiders? Or for that matter a Common House spider? While similar in appearance, they are different spiders (although both the recluse and hobo are capable of injecting a necrotizing venom). The actual ‘recluse’ (Loxosceles Reclusa) spider is not indigenous to the North coast and while there can be isolated occurences of them outside of the southern US, it’s generally a single spider that has been transplanted here and not breeding colonies of them.

As for the Cave Crickets, they are pretty harmless, but you are right they can scare the crap out of people.

That’s some scary shit. There were some huge fucken spiders around west side last summer. 4" X 4" inches I believe.

:cry:

[quote=“MiG”]Yummy!

snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp

It’s probably not a good idea to stomp on them though – it just kills the weak ones and lets the strong survive. You’re helping them win the great human-spider species war by helping them evolve.[/quote]

Huh? Are you saying there are currently spiders out there that can survive my heel stomping down on them?

No, but you’re only killing the ones that are dumb enough to be caught. Meanwhile the really sneaky ones are surviving. You’re doing the species a favour – killing the dumb ones.

[quote=“T-Rav”]

Oh we do, but they just multiply… like Mig said, you kill off the weak ones, and the strong ones survive and evolve. of corse they are much smaller, so over the course of a couple years they can evolve quite rapidly. The ones found in rupert are much larger than the ones found in the southern states… are a result, their fang are larger, and can go deeper into your skin, resulting in serious necrotizing fasciitis.

Are you sure that they are recluse and not hobo spiders? Or for that matter a Common House spider? While similar in appearance, they are different spiders (although both the recluse and hobo are capable of injecting a necrotizing venom). The actual ‘recluse’ (Loxosceles Reclusa) spider is not indigenous to the North coast and while there can be isolated occurences of them outside of the southern US, it’s generally a single spider that has been transplanted here and not breeding colonies of them.

As for the Cave Crickets, they are pretty harmless, but you are right they can scare the crap out of people.[/quote]

The large spiders that we have in Rupert are Wolf Spiders. The Brown Recluse is found in BC but usually no farther north than the lower Thompson/Upper Okanagan area. The Brown Recluse can be deadly and in fact can be considered more of a danger to humans because it is found more frequesntly in homes whereas Black Widows are not as common in homes.

http://web2.pathfinderscience.net/ksnaturalhistory/wolfspider.jpg

Brown Recluses may not be common in rupert… but we have them in our garage(also found one in the basement right before winter)… come take a sample one if you want… They’re the typlical fiddle head shaped recluse… They look exactly the same as this bugger:
http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/enpp/ento/images/l.reclusabrown2.jpg

[quote=“Delirious”]Brown Recluses may not be common in rupert… but we have them in our garage(also found one in the basement right before winter)… come take a sample one if you want… They’re the typlical fiddle head shaped recluse… They look exactly the same as this bugger:
http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/enpp/ento/images/l.reclusabrown2.jpg[/quote]

I could see the possibility of having a remote chance that a Brown Recluse Spider may have come up while travelling or shipping goods, I find it hard to beleive that you had two in your home. I’m sure that what you have is a Wolf Spider. If you have the sample, take a good look at the stripe of the head. I would bet to say that it is similar to the wolf spider markings on the pics that I have posted. If not, I’d be interested in looking.

http://www.spiderzrule.com/spider051/DSC00279.JPG

I’ve seen some large wolf spiders in town, one about 4 - 5 inches in diameter. You don’t see many that big but there are alot of them around.

most definately not a wolf spider… Although hobo spider is a close match to the ones found in my garage. They look more alike to a brown recluse than the wolf spider… I 110% sure its not a wolf spider, since living in a garage isnt quite a wolf spider’s habitat.
http://www.nps.gov/public_health/inter/graphics/hobo_female.jpg
nps.gov/public_health/intra/ … s_hobo.htm