Re: Prince Rupert's promise is finally realized

In  11/30/2007 issue of Business Edge, Darcy Jenish is portraying Rupertites as mindless automaton when he wrote:

“The mayor gave a speech and talked about the need for Phase 2,” recalls Krusel, "and this huge crowd started chanting: ‘Phase 2, Phase 2.’ "

Do not kid yourself …many of us don’t see anything to gain with any “Phases” of this Container Terminal  whether it’s jobs or anything else…unless of course you’re a bar girl and like to entertain sailors.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can be so pessimistic.  Some may be overly optimistic but this towns glass as half full rather than half empty.  Considering where we were less than 5 years ago I’d say we’re doing great.  A larger port will require more employees, more of a support structure.  More jobs mean more money.  More money means more residential and business development.  It really is simple.

I didn’t see where he was portraying Rupertites as mindless automaton.
I thought it was a good article.
businessedge.ca/article.cfm/newsID/16776.cfm

Give me a break. Out of that whole article this is what you pick out to grump about? You’re trying too hard.

The next step is to get the second ship per week then you will see the demand in workforce. I believe the second ship per week will also bring on the announcement of phase two.

Don’t let anyone fool you this is a multimillion dollar facility that has one direction and that is to make it work.

Now that the hype about this Terminal has died down…now you show me where you see all these jobs and benefits?  The longshoremen that are now working there were all there before the Terminal was ever built.  As for the CN train taking all these containers away…well there is three guys in the engine car just the same as before.

I think that the reason why Rupertites were chanting “Phase 2…Phase 2” is because Rupert is soooo boring that they just can’t wait to see another FIREWORK or SUNSHINE for that matter.

Nobody ever said that Phase one was going to transform this town on it’s own.  The larger vision of this including the 2nd and possibly 3rd phases of the port is where we will really see growth.  The Port Authority has released several notices over the past couple of years that the plan is to have the next two phases built which would mean conituous construction and growth until 2018-2020.  With that development comes growth and prosperity. It’s an old saying but I really think it applies here.  Rome wasn’t built in a day.

The port is hiring only so many people but there are opportunities that have been opened here.  I know of two guys who were working at Safeway and have been hired at the port full-time.  Now there are two openings at Safeway.  50 customs officers positions have been created here.  Quick math tells me that at about 50K / yr we now have an additional $2.5 million/ yr from them alone into our local economy.

As for those that were chanting about Phase 2…many people, including maybe even yourself, are just coming out of what has been some very tough times.  Many lost their homes and everything that they had worked so hard for.  Forgive them for being excited at the re-birth of their community.

We have a new gaming center, a new retail development staring construction next year on the highway, the container port is operational, grain and coal terminals are running steady,  the first new residential developments in 15 years and many other potential developers kicking the tires here.  Give it a little time.

Every party has a pooper…

Yeah it’s all going to take time…
A friend just made around $100,000 profit on the sale of her house…
Excellent for a 2 year investment… 
So the naysayers can stop the negativity this town is rebounding, but again it all takes time…

Yes, I also see slow signs of recovery.  This will take time.

Eyeonrupert said: “A friend just made around $100,000 profit on the sale of her house…”

Big hairy deal…is this the gauge you’re gonna use to assess if "this town (Rupert) is rebounding"
Give me a break.  You’re using some pretty heavy science here my friend.

You’re clearly not getting the point.  His friend just made $100,000 on her house.  Less than 5 years ago you couldn’t give a house away because there was no value in real estate here.  If you can’t see how the profit that this woman has made is a sign of an economic turnaround then maybe find a different thread to start up.  You’re not getting anywhere in this one.

At this point it’s clear that Hack is just trolling.

He must be Pedrico Lao…

Good job KIM IL JONG…thats who it is.

If what you are saying is true across the real estate board–in other word, if i’m to believe you–that would mean that anyone at this time opting to sell his or her house would stand to make a huge profit.  But who would buy these houses?  Somebody coming from out of town…to get which new job that has been created?  Certainly not a job that Fairview Container Terminal has created. 

And as for those 50 custom jobs that you are mentioning, you mean to tell me that 50 custom officers converge at Fairview Terminal every time a ship comes in?  Give me a break fellow.  Prince Rupert already has more than enough custom officers already on payroll to look after any ship coming to this town.  Don’t let anyone fool you about all these new jobs being created. 

I defy anyone to list me all the new jobs that Fairview Container Terminal has created since it has open.

[quote=“WhatTheHack!!”]
I defy anyone to list me all the new jobs that Fairview Container Terminal has created since it has open. [/quote]

Ah, c’mon - all of the chiropractors between Rupert and PG will be thrilled with all the neck adjustments they will be doing…as residents all along the corridor get whiplash watching container cars go back and forth at mach speed.

And it’s all your fault.

No…not everyone would stand to make a huge profit.  Many people who purchased when the mill was running full steam and managed to hang on may just break even.  The point is that things are getting better.  The people that are breaking even now may have had mortgages worth $100,000 more than the market value of their home 4 years ago. Those that bought low during the tough years stand to make a huge profit.

As for the Customs Officers…no.  They don’t converge on the Fairview Container Terminal everytime a ship comes in.  They are stationed out at the mill site and spend alot of time sitting with their fingers up their ass right now.  There are roughly 50 new, permanent , full time Customs positions.  Its obvious that you really don’t know what you’re talking about.  The regular Customs officials in town are separate from those hired to work the container port.

On top of that, there have been roughly 50 full time and another 200 plus part-time longshoremans positions created by the port opening. And that will only improve with increased port traffic.  Lets forget about the part - time jobs for now.  50 full time Customs jobs + $2.5 million/year.  50 full-time longshormans positions + at least the same…  $2.5 million and probably more.  Thats $5 million per year which is now flowing into our economy. 

And this is only the beginning.  The port has attracted and is attracting retail and residential develoment.  Carpenters, electricians and other tradespeople are working. 

I’d challenge you to go back through some newspaper archives and look at what was happening here in 2002 and 2003.  You can find alot on the Podunkians site.  Really, go take a look and then come backand tell me nothing has changed.

With the 50 custom guys on the job I can still easily slip my agents into the country to kidnap you, and send you back to North Korea as nutrition-enriched food aid.

I will get you.

EDIT: BoNeCrAcKeR, you deserve a karma. Well said.

[quote=“BoNeCrAcKeR”]
As for the Customs Officers…no.  They don’t converge on the Fairview Container Terminal everytime a ship comes in.  They are stationed out at the mill site and spend alot of time sitting with their fingers up their ass right now.  There are roughly 50 new, permanent , full time Customs positions.  Its obvious that you really don’t know what you’re talking about.  The regular Customs officials in town are separate from those hired to work the container port.[/quote]

So if they (Custom officials)  have nothing to do with the Fairview Container Terminal than why do you even bother mentioning them…they don’t enter the equation here.