Re: MacBook Pro 15" (2006) - Logic Board Roadmap? **URGENT**

To those who know Macs!

I have a 15" MacBook Pro (May 2006) and the video has recently become corrupted.  I know the problem, and I’m about to attempt the solution (hame-made graphics chip reflow rather than logic board replacement).  My new MacBook Pro is already in the mail… so this repair is an all or nothing attempt.

At this point in the juncture, I have the computer opened up and I’m looking at the top of the Logic Board…  But where is the ATI video chip?

Do I find it on the upper surface (under the keyboard) or on the underside (bottom)?

I can’t find any “blueprints” of the logic board from The Google…  Who either knows the answer or knows where to find the answer?

Swift replies are greatly appreciated!

What exactly is wrong with the mbp ?

What did you replace it with ?

I just bought a mbp 15" LOVE IT and its 9 hour battery.!

Gotta beef up those surfing skills jase!

powerbookmedic.com/manual.php?id=2

ifixit.com/ is better :smile: hahah

THE PROBLEM:

• Corrupt video (from boot until white-screen after boot-screen)… in the pattern of a checkerboard, with 0.5cmx1.0cm tiles of either GOOD SCREEN or DISTORTED PIXELS
  • Would not boot past Boot-screen (became white-screen… same thing on TV when connected to the computer)
  • Safe-mode worked, but still had the “Checkerboard” Corrupt screen (again, same pattern reflected on the TV when connected)

THE DIAGNOSIS:

I took it to an Apple Service center here in Budapest and they told me that the Logic Board needed replacement and that it would cost 300,000HUF (aprox. $1,350CAD) and that it is not worth is (agreed!).

MY RESEARCH:

After extensive searching (finding it hard to find similar cases out there anywhere) I finally came across this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=(http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/726/diy-obsolete-ibook-logic-%20board-repair)

Some pictures…

1 - Boot Screen (BEFORE)
2 - Underside of Logic Board (ATI far left)
3 - ATI Chip (BEFORE)
4 - Surgical Prep for ATI Chip (BEFORE)
5 - This is what the Boot Screen looks like NOW (Picture from LONG BEFORE)

This is seriously cool.

Awesome job man! 

This makes my insides feel all happy.

Very cool, man!!  :sunglasses:

good job, :smile: saved yourself a logic board :smile: I remember the ibooks having the same problem :smile:

Thanks guys!

You can check out the video I made (on the computer in question) after fixing it up, check it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=outHBB4AlB4)

This calls for a blog post on themainframe.ca 

What do you think?

Sorry, I meant Charles_T. And thanks for the link Charles, good job!

I would be happy to blog this post, hopefully it can help others in the same situation.

I don’t know how to go about doing that…  Do I do it?  Or do you just copy what I’ve wrote and include the video?

I’ll create you an account on there, and copy-paste your stuff, and you can add or edit as you’d like.  I’ll set it up later tonight, hopefully.

Okay, cool.  Thanks!

Hey, sorry I didn’t get around to doing this until now, but I’ve posted your stuff here:

themainframe.ca/2010/07/03/macbo … eo-repair/

I’ve also created an account on there for you, in case you want to edit the post or want to make new posts, etc.  username and password in your personal messages.

[quote=“MiG”]Hey, sorry I didn’t get around to doing this until now, but I’ve posted your stuff here:

themainframe.ca/2010/07/03/macbo … eo-repair/

I’ve also created an account on there for you, in case you want to edit the post or want to make new posts, etc. username and password in your personal messages.[/quote]

Wow, didn’t see this until now. That was a good write-up you made there, thanks for adding in the pictures & videos to make it even more understandable (streamline).

Cool!