Re: La Cucina opening?

I knew about Breakers as they close annually but heard from a very reliable source today, actually more than one, that Rain was closing permanently, so was Peglegs and The Card Shop so what is the real story or as is usual in Rupert, there isn’t just one  :unamused:

Rain is pre- ordering some goods they will need to re-open…yup…they are not closing

Carlton Cards will be closed permanently by the end of January.  Their employees are seeking other employment and all their merchandise is deeply discounted right now.

Employees of Peglegs are seeking employment as well.

Guess I’ll never get my discount savings card from Carlton now

Also just to finally squash the rumour, Pizza Hut is 100% NOT closing, I spoke with several employees there who said they are not closing but are well aware of the rumour that was going around!

I have always wondered Prince Rupert does not have a First nations restaurant.
How appropriate to have traditional food in and area where so many first nation people live.This would be awesome… Can you imagine the tourists delight to experience some of the great food prepared by our local people, and us too.
we should have a First Nations craft / museum of art / area to watch people creating their beautiful work.
The elders teaching the youth ( and younger ) the skills…
Why do we not have something like this in our town ??
Hire the young kids, teach them how to be proud and , give them a good reason to be part of a community.
I realize there are places throughout town where you can buy native art etc.
Just thought I would ask  " WHY " is there no first nation store, or a restaurant ?

I’m not sure if it is in operation now, but, there were some First Nations artists down at Atlin Terminal in a small booth displaying, demonstrating artwork.

I remember when the first 2 cruise ships came in. We welcomed the passengers with entertainment from the dancers and native food was served at Mariners and they showed off their crafts but that all went by the wayside as the interest in the ships seemed to wane. There was that one fella down at Atlin where Scoops used to be and then of course, there was the Loghouse and then there is our Market on 3rd. when the ships are in. Other than that, you can always wait for the All-Native and the kitchen is open !

IMO, it is the same reason that there is only really shishkabob being sold during the Seafest now.
For First Nations people to make money and present a true representation of “Traditional” Foods they need to process there own supply of Salmon , crab, clam…ect, and none of these foods are considered safe by the Canadian Food Inspection agency, because they aren’t regulated and monitored “properly.” 
I think a little more development into local resource harvesting and value added processing would open up not only opportunities for a First Nation restaurant but help displaced fisherman and shore workers.

i thought there was a plant in port simpson?

I am pretty sure there is a plant in Laxkwalaams, but I was thinking more along the lines of a mom n pop operation, something along the lines of Dolly’s, but strictly First Nation cuisine.

Did I imagine all the fried bread, ollikan (sp), candied salmon, herring roe I ate at the last few city event during the summer??

exactly…this should be available, for sale all year round. Someone talk to their Band and see why not… start a new cultural buisness, it would be pretty awesome.
OMG…you talk about candied salmon…oh ya, I buy the Port Hardy candy from the supermarkets in Victoria…mmmmmmmmmmmm… I want it here !!!

Theres gotta be somebody who could make it happen… do it.

Well I did exaggerate a little how much less Native food is available at Seafest, but I do recall, as little as 4 years ago, First Nation “cuisine” being available to the extent that shishkabob is now.
I have an Aunt and Uncle who were longtime vendors of items such as herring eggs, clam fritters, dries fish and a host of ofther resources harvested directly from the “SEA” but were “regulated” right out of their only opportunity during the season to make any money due to established businesses wanting to monopolize the Seafest market.
I find it ironic that we celebrate Seafest with shishkabob rather than celebrating the local resources, harvested by locals, prepared by locals right from the ocean.
end rant!

[quote=“My2cents”]
I have always wondered Prince Rupert does not have a First nations restaurant.[/quote]

I’ve wondered the same thing, ever since KFC closed.