Re: Growing tomatoes and the RCMP

I think that was along the same idea as his original plan,  maybe a few raids,  so they see tomatoes the first few times…  Any spike in electricity would go unnoticed.

Just being curious here but whatever happened about the GROW-OPs they hit where one was the Ex RCMP office across from Daily News and the other was some restaurant which was old and closed ? Since we are on the subject of Tomatoes.

I had three make shift green houses out side in the two lots with 500 or 600 plants mostly tomato some zucchini peppers squash and a few flowers .I was rotating them indoors with two lights same type we use for crab fishing there were bags of soil out side and stacks of starter pots i guess I’m not a very sneaky tomato grower.So that I hope answers your first question. I had 2 1000 watt bulbs burning 18 hrs. per day -----On to your next question or maybe the answer to question 2 can be found in response 1 ? bags of soil, stacks of pots, trail of dirt leading into the building.a yard full of vegetables.Still i guess I could be doing a dry run kinda of risky though being as i own the building.But just for the sake of argument lets say i;m dumber than dumb …I got nothing ,drawing a blank so to speak lets move on to question three honestly no I have no drug charges as far as knowing or associating with the drug crowd, even if you were a cop and you sound like one somewhere in your past you will have associated with a drug user be it a family a son a daughter or a friend any way maybe you led a sheltered life ! me on the other hand I was born into the commercial fishing industry had no choice 3rd gen. and theres a Lotta whacked out deck hands out there.I hate the coke shit its destroyed so many lives  

No I am not RCMP as eluded to in your reply.  But Guilt by assosiation of career,  like yourself, crab fisherman sometimes have the reputation of being involved in drugs.

If you are allowed to talk o the subject,  how did this raid go down?  Was it a door knocking,  polite hello,  we have a warrent to search your building etc…

Or was it a foot to the door,  guns out, lots of screaming etc…

I would say the 2 1000 watt bulbs would spike interest,  speaking to a few people, a call to the local RCMP saying something like  "  Hey,  growing tomatoes here,  hydro might spike, come down anytime to take a look "  would have gone along way to avoid this issue.  And seems like common sense.

Good luck.

2 1000 watt bulbs is about $50-60 per month if you’re using them 18 hours per day.  Hardly a spike.  About the same as plugging in another fridge or hot water tank?

Must be something else going on.

The story I heard was that after responding to a call of a break-in and seeing what w.f.m.e. has described above, they decided he had a grow-op and raided him. Do I have that right?

Seems to me the RCMP aren’t really doing their homework. You would think they would do a little more investigating before calling in a raid.

If this guy did have connections or any association with drugs and/or people who deal drugs do you think he would tell us on a public online forum?we already know who he is and it would be easy to connect who hes spotted with… just a thought

What ever happened with those two buildings that had GROW-OPs such the old RCMP office across from Daily News and also the old restaurant on third. Just curious since we are talking tomatoes.

I suppose you are wondering who was charged? or are you looking for product?

Are you fucking kidding me? Why the hell should he have to call the RCMP to explain his hydro bill that he’s paying when the RCMP could just do a little investigation.

If he had a hydro bypass that’s a whole other thing but its pretty clear he didn’t. I think the prince rupert RCMP should just stick to what they’re good at and write bullshit tickets.

Well to avoid confusion, it would have been a good plan. Most sane people would agree.

I’m perfectly sane thanks. I just dont feel the need to report all of my perfectly legal actions to the RCMP in case they happen to be snooping at my hydro bill.

I’m pretty sure we’re supposed to live in a free society and in a free society we do not have to report our tomato crop to the RCMP. I think most sane people would agree with that.

All I’m saying is a little investigation would have shown it was a tomato crop not weed. The RCMP were as usual just being lazy and doing half assed police work.

Fine, but if you take a ziplock bag full of salt through airport security it’s reasonable to expect a bit of trouble.

Like it or not, hydro consumption is one way the RCMP spots new grow ops–and they DID find a grow op, it was just the legal kind.

Like I said, the amount of lighting the guy was talking about earlier wouldn’t produce a spike in hydro consumption. 

2000 watts is not huge.  Certainly not enough to warrant attention.  Otherwise they would have raided me a long time ago.  Hold a few LAN parties with souped up computers and you’ll be way over 2000 watts :smile:  I used to have more than 2000 watts in servers running.

The other story earlier in this thread says that they were investigating a break-in or something like that.

Comparing apples to oranges.  Carrying a ‘suspicious’ substance on an airline whether you declare it’s salt or not is stupid and it is reasonable to expect problems.

It is unreasonable to expect to be raided by the RCMP for growing tomatoes. It is unreasonable to have to report your garden to the RCMP to avoid being raided.  The RCMP should be capable of finding out it was a tomato crop without raiding the house. They were being lazy.

I’ve been going through Vancouver airport for years and always had a bag of loose green tea rolled up and placed where it could be seen. No-one has ever pulled it out to check it.

[quote=“expat@htmf.com”]
No I am not RCMP as eluded to in your reply. But Guilt by assosiation of career, like yourself, crab fisherman sometimes have the reputation of being involved in drugs.

If you are allowed to talk o the subject, how did this raid go down? Was it a door knocking, polite hello, we have a warrent to search your building etc…

Or was it a foot to the door, guns out, lots of screaming etc…

I would say the 2 1000 watt bulbs would spike interest, speaking to a few people, a call to the local RCMP saying something like " Hey, growing tomatoes here, hydro might spike, come down anytime to take a look " would have gone along way to avoid this issue. And seems like common sense.

Good luck.[/quote]

steel ram to the door guns and taser in hand flack jackets on

Understandable, after all it wasn’t too long ago that Hollywood documented the danger associated with such activity as could have been behind those doors…

imdb.com/title/tt0080391/

imdb.com/title/tt0095989/

imdb.com/title/tt0102210/

imdb.com/title/tt0099935/

Almost as if they used you as a training excersice. Think they would teach them (RCMP) with investigation training first.

With this much documentation, who can now disregard the obvious inherent threat of tomatoes