Re: Election returns

Good sport, Mr. Pond.  Now what are you going to turn your superpowers to? 

A Liberal Majority government was declared by the networks at 9:10 pm

as of 11:15 PM
65 of 67 ballot boxes reporting

North Coast results
8383 votes reported so far

Coons, Gary 4848…58%
Pond, Herb 2893…34.5%
Girbav, Lisa 642… 8%

Province Wide Seat Count

Liberals 48
NDP 37
Green 0
Conservative 0
Other 0

Popular Vote

Liberals … 46.2%
NDP…42.1%
Green… 8%
Conservative/Other… 4%

Referendum

Single Transferable Vote 39%
First Past the Post 61%

Story with quotes and reaction from each of the candidates has been posted on thenorthernview.com (link at the bottom of this post or on our section of the site).

Gary Coons will be returning to Victoria as the MLA for the North Coast following a decisive win over Liberal candidate Herb Pond and Green candidate Lisa Girbav on May 12.

With all 67 polls counted, Coons received 4,940 votes, or 57.58 per cent of the vote, compared to the 2,981 votes, or 34.75 per cent of the popular vote, for Liberal challenger Herb Pond and 658 votes, or 7.67 per cent of the popular vote, for Green challenger Girbav.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 49137.html

as of 11:30 PM
66 of 67 ballot boxes reporting

North Coast results
8466 votes reported so far

Coons, Gary 4875…58%
Pond, Herb 2940…34.5%
Girbav, Lisa 651… 8%

Province Wide Seat Count

Liberals 48
NDP 37
Green 0
Conservative 0
Other 0

Popular Vote

Liberals … 46.2%
NDP…42.1%
Green… 8%
Conservative/Other… 4%

Referendum

First Past the Post 61%

LOL, what you guys have to go to bed before they reach 67 polls counted

“LOL, what you guys have to go to bed before they reach 67 polls counted”

Nope, just wanted to get it up there to get the info/reaction out. Updating the numbers in the story until all 67 are counted.

When you say you agree that some Liberals thought Herb was a bit un-Liberal and voted Green, who are you agreeing with? I never heard that and can’t really see it.
I think this is likelier a case of people who might have voted Liberal being turned off by the Pond campaign tactics, such as the sign overkill, the negativity/fear-mongering they were supposedly against, the lack of a real platform, and how the attacks on the environment are going to affect this riding.

as of 11:50 PM
67 of 67 ballot boxes reporting

North Coast results
8579 votes reported so far

Coons, Gary 4940…57.58%
Pond, Herb 2981…34.75%
Girbav, Lisa 658…  7.67%

Province Wide Seat Count

Liberals 48
NDP 37
Green 0
Conservative 0
Other 0

Popular Vote

Liberals … 46.2%
NDP…42.1%
Green… 8%
Conservative/Other… 4%

Referendum

First Past the Post 61%

Gary addresses HTMF:

What was the final (unofficial) count for the riding?  How does it compare to 4 years ago?  Or do we need to wait to see the (substantial) advance poll numbers before we can really compare?

Hard to get a true comparison, there were less ballot locations this time around 67 compared to 87 in 2005, so the actual vote count won’t give you a great comparison.  They also redistributed the riding a bit, so the voter composition may have been skewed a bit… At any rate, you can look at popular vote, as it at least gives you a guideline.

The NDP were about the same as last time picking up about five percent from 53 to  58% this election.  The Liberals had 38.4 percent in 2005, this election they registered 34.75 % of the vote.

The Greens gained two percent from  5.72 per cent in 2005 to 7.67 percent this time around.

The Marijuana party didn’t run a candidate here this time around so that almost two percen vote went somwhere, my guess is the Greens…

Still for all the anticipation of a breakthrough for the Liberals, this will prove to be a rather disappointing result for their high profile choice…

2009 results –  results.elections.bc.ca/ed/GE-20 … Coast.html

2005 results – cbc.ca/bcvotes2005/riding/034/

Well, the HTMF poll was a little bit skewed towards the NDP and Green Party, but all in all remarkably close to the final results; certainly more than I thought it would be, and way closer than what the naysayers seemed to be predicting.

Herb got almost as many votes as he had signs.

Just saw Herb at the Career Resource Centre…updating his resume and checking the job board!!

By now, you must have seen his video on here. Well, your verdict?

Fairly cute, but mostly cuddly.

George, I believe the next move is yours. :wink:

Herb did even worse than Bill Belsey?  There’s no hope…

How did I do worse than ol’ Bill?

I liked Bill after I went at him at some meeting, the next day I went to his office and formally said I was sorry. When I invited him to take a walk with me one evening he was there on time and after the walk he said that he wished to go for another. So with me he was a man of his word not like others.